Fairway not appearing

• 11 Replies

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
I am creating a hole that goes down and then back up and the fairway ends like half way to the green. I cannot manipulate it to extend for the entire fairway. Anyone ever run into this issue? How did you fix it?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:46:51 PM by xusemagru »
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
I have exactly the same behaviour on 2 of my courses.

For the DEVS: one of them is "Reussknee" published, it happens on hole 18 at the dogleg aerea.

In both casses i had lowered the ground earlier until it was below 0, then lifted it up again. Normaly when bring it back up above something like 1m the FW reapears.
but no way on these 2 courses.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
I did the exact same thing. Huck can you copy this thread to the support thread?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:07:22 AM by xusemagru »
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »
its your thread  :)

i'm not absolutely sure, but i think i lowered with one of the "raise" tools.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

wodofoto

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »
It happened to my course when I put landmass over auto-generated water, made it part of the design and actually liked it. I don't know any other way to generate areas of rough in the middle of a long fairway, other than 1.) build over a lake 2.) flatten the terrain from the shore until the water disappears.

If you want to get rid of the rough, try the 'move hole' option. Fairway should appear as soon as you drop it in an area where  never was a body of water created by the auto-generation.
Good luck and have fun! ...on my custom made course:

Grizzly Territory

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:02 AM »
I even tried that to no avail. Maybe I will delete the hole and create it over regular land then try and move it there to see if it works
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Wolverin3

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »
You should leave it and tease people you did it using the faiway brush  :P ;D

Can`t say I have seen this happen before..did you add to the green and place a new green and pin?
Courses Created
---------------------------------
Aridian Sands
New The Gobi Golf Club V2
The Gobi Golf Club
Autumn Gold
Golden Sands GC
Waterfront Golf Club (Hard - firm fairways - fast greens)
New Waterfront Golf Club ( more friendly version )

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »
No I started with 0 holes then made three corners to the map water. Obviously this led to crazy land heights near the water and so I had to reshape and mold mounds in that general area
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
I _think_ what happened here is that you used the 'landscaping' tool to raise the land out of the water. 

There are two ways to modify the terrain: the 'terrain' tool, and the 'landscaping' tool.  The tools pretty much function the same, but get you different results because of the order they are applied.  The overall process goes something like:

- create basic terrain
- apply 'terrain' edits*
- place fairways/rough/green
- flatten fairways/greens
- flatten area around buildings
- apply roughness to surfaces
- apply 'landscaping' edits*

These steps are followed each time you edit the course.  The result is that the landscaping tool takes precedence over everything else, but the terrain tool doesn't. 

If you make a hill with the terrain tool, a green on the hill will still be flat because the flattening takes place after the terrain tool.  If you make the same hill with the landscaping tool, the green will conform to the shape of the hill.

In the 'place fairways' step listed above, the fairway is placed only on areas that are above water.  That's why if you raise the land up with the terrain tool, fairway will appear, but if you raise it with the landscaping tool, it will not.

The landscaping tool is really meant to do small tweaks to things after the course has been built.  I understand that this whole setup is pretty confusing, and the game doesn't really make an effort to help explain it, which is something I'd really like to improve.

P.S. I could also be totally wrong, and it's just some bug.  If you think that's the case, let me know.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
Sure enough as soon as i started to use the landscaping tool in the "terrain" area then the fairway started to appear. thanks for this tip!
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

theclv24

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
I think I get it, but possibly I don't, until I can test it at least. Theoretically, can I use the terrain tool after I have placed a fairway to make parts of the fairway disappear and just be rough? Don't get me wrong, a fairway brush is vital, but if it works in this manner it could be a temporary workaround.

guitardude_324

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
Bump* just so other individuals can see this easier in the future.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

space-cash