One non-negotiable for HBS on the XBox One X version

• 15 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: March 10, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »
I know we have another thread going in the XBox One Room here for an XBox One X, 4K Enhanced option for The Golf Club 2019, and ideally, that would be the desired option.  However, if it turns out that a 4K enhanced option is not in the cards, it would be unconscionable to not either expand the graphics options for the XBox One X version to extend the detailed tree distance to 2,000 yards, the number of quality trees to at least 800, and the object detail distance out to over 400 yards @ the 1080p res in which it now is played.

I don't know how much flexibility Microsoft allows developers in user configurable graphics options on the XBox One X, but if user controlled adjustments for all of the above aren't doable, at least crank them out to a fixed value that's well beyond what we now have.  I have an average gaming PC, and I can play the game at graphics detail settings that are both more intricate and extend three to four times the range I can get from the XBox One version, XBox One X's supersampling and 16X anisotropic filtering withstanding. 

These expanded settings in which I'm able to play the PC version helps a great deal with the biggest handicap whick plagues the XBox One (and PS4 version for that matter) versions: two-shaded, pop-in trees in the distance.  The problem is that two-shaded pop-in distance is about a third on even the XBox One X of what it is on my gaming PC. 

I can imagine that SpeedTrees will help a lot with the tree pop-in phenomena that we currently see in TGC and TGC 2, but it would really be a selling point to XBox One X owners to have some options to tailor the looks and the performance of TGC 2019, XBox One X 4K ehanced option or not.  Whew... I've worked up a sweat; let me climb down off of my soapbox now :D 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:59:30 AM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Lancers

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
The pop in is a killer. Trees in a distance look like the N64. The game would look so much better if they could get rid of that.

ISAWTHAT

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
Not sure what to make of this being 3 years old, but sounds promising, maybe?

https://answers.unity.com/questions/866709/speedtree-trees-extremely-high-draw-call-count.html

Seems like HBS will have to do a balancing act with LOD (Level Of Detail and FPS) with this tool to get it right with look vs performance.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/speedtree-performance-issues.332494/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:58:41 AM by ISAWTHAT »
XBOX GT:  SndFreak64

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Not sure what to make of this being 3 years old, but sounds promising, maybe?

https://answers.unity.com/questions/866709/speedtree-trees-extremely-high-draw-call-count.html

Seems like HBS will have to do a balancing act with LOD (Level Of Detail and FPS) with this tool to get it right with look vs performance.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/speedtree-performance-issues.332494/

Good question to raise, ISAWTHAT, but here's my take on it.  The discussions you linked are, as you say, almost three years old.  They're all pre Unity 5.5, in which GPU instancing was introduced.  Here's an article that describes how GPU instancing makes a world of difference with SpeedTree performance:

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/optimising-speedtree-with-gpu-instancing-in-unity-55/
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
The pop in is a killer. Trees in a distance look like the N64. The game would look so much better if they could get rid of that.

It really is a pretty glaring annoyance, even though the trees fairly well beyond the viewers point of focus.  The pop-in is either there or it's not... I guess that's why they call it "pop-in" ;)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »
Good post JC as always.

I don't see much pop up at all on the X with the 4K setup. Certainly way less than I did with the Xbox S.

I really hope they do something. If not true 4K to start they can enable HDR. Which I would assume can't be that hard.
XB1 X

4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:25 AM »
Good post JC as always.

I don't see much pop up at all on the X with the 4K setup. Certainly way less than I did with the Xbox S.

I really hope they do something. If not true 4K to start they can enable HDR. Which I would assume can't be that hard.

I'm glad you pointed out your experience with pop-in.  I noticed when I was playing my Society tournament round at Copperhead last night that I wasn't seeing it much on that coures on my XBox One X, and that course has a heavy tree population.  It seems like it has something to do with the lighting though.  Copperhead seems to have darker lighting and I think that mitigates the pop-in effect.

As for HDR only for XBox One X Enhancement... that has happened in some cases if I recall correctly.  Yes, that would be welcome if we can't go 4K, but I'd still like to see those detail levels be extended to match what we can achieve on a good quality gaming PC to go along with that. 

Whatever the case, I think we're in for some interesting times ahead with TGC 2019!
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:39:06 PM »
The issue is this game loss an entire course vs one or a section at a time

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »
The issue is this game loss an entire course vs one or a section at a time

The PC version of TGC 2 gives players the option to select a quality tree detail distance of 2,000 yards.  That's about 1.2 miles.  If TGC 2019 offers a similar option for XBox One X users - and I see no reason why they couldn't, given it's got more processing power than my current gaming PC, which can handle detail trees at 2,000 yards - I don't think we're going to be thinking we're only seeing anything less than an entire course at a time.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

stan_solo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
than my current gaming PC, which can handle detail trees at 2,000 yards - 

I've had to turn my tree detail down to 600 and the object detail to 60 to avoid a laggy swing on some courses
Even then I still get lag on heavy tree laden courses and high spread of shadows

I have a 1080X which is a supernova in comparison   ... so I'm a little disappointed       .. Must be a optimised related  ?

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
than my current gaming PC, which can handle detail trees at 2,000 yards - 

I've had to turn my tree detail down to 600 and the object detail to 60 to avoid a laggy swing on some courses
Even then I still get lag on heavy tree laden courses and high spread of shadows

I have a 1080X which is a supernova in comparison   ... so I'm a little disappointed       .. Must be a optimised related  ?

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong if you are turning down detail like that with a 1080 GTX.......I am running at the highest detail at 100+ FPS on many courses....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
There is something SERIOUSLY wrong if you are turning down detail like that with a 1080 GTX.......I am running at the highest detail at 100+ FPS on many courses....

Yeah, there's got to be something seriously wrong with Stan's setup.  I get 50 to 60 FPS with my Geforce GTX 1060 and i5 processor. I don't have everything fully maxed out, but I'm over 75% on everything with quality tree distance at 2,000.  I wish I knew what advice to give you Stan, but your hardware is way beyond mine.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

stan_solo

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »

It's a real head scratcher mate   .... I run the FRAPS programme to analyse my FPS and was experiencing some heavy lag on some courses [30/40 fps] .. and juddering also

I overclocked my card but all that did was cause the game to freeze .. so that proved fruitless

So all I could think of was to turn down some of the settings [ trees and object ] detail  ... and even that is not perfect
I do get 100+ some of the time but as I said it's disappointing that I cannot play the game on the max settings lag free ... with the hardware I have

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
I responded to your PM.

Zero need to overclock in this game.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:54 AM »

It's a real head scratcher mate   .... I run the FRAPS programme to analyse my FPS and was experiencing some heavy lag on some courses [30/40 fps] .. and juddering also

I overclocked my card but all that did was cause the game to freeze .. so that proved fruitless

So all I could think of was to turn down some of the settings [ trees and object ] detail  ... and even that is not perfect
I do get 100+ some of the time but as I said it's disappointing that I cannot play the game on the max settings lag free ... with the hardware I have

Stan, do keep us posted on this... I recall years ago having an issue with inexplicably low frame rates on a Radeon graphics card I had at the time.  A guru at one of the tech forums asked me to check to see if a certain background task was running on my system.  I went into my task manager and sure enough, the task he asked me to look for was running.  I killed it and my frame rates improved dramatically.  It's been so long ago now that I couldn't tell you what the task was, but I suspect that there may be some sort of issue like this associated with what you're seeing.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash