frame rates, mouse ,any other settings etc. ; for new player

• 7 Replies

maskedriderloi

« on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
Hi all; I'm playing with a mouse  on PC and I am wondering  if I need to pay any attention to , for mainly swing purposes and sensitivity ;    things  like DPI,  finding  out what my frame and maybe refresh rates are and any other  setting related  issues  that could effect my game  play. The game runs beautifully  on my PC - but maybe I could  improve it with things I might not know about - especially since I've  never really played  much games before to speak of. What are the  things PC/mouse  users pay attention to?  I do understand that these things are individual to each PC ;nevertheless I could use some  input.

thank you all

Windows 10
Octa core AMD Opteron 4284
 NVIDIA GF110 [GeForce GTX 570        
RAM 16 GB
PC - MOUSE Razer Death Adder 3500

Mailman

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:44 AM »
Re the other thread see my dpi settings.  I'm no expert from my limited experience so far but I am a new player.  Experiment with dpi mouse settings in the range 1500-2000 and the in-game sensitivity above 70.  Mine are actually 1750 dpi/in-game 90 ATM but I feel as though I am constantly tweaking these settings.  Windows mouse settings on default and no mouse acceleration.  Had my first bogie-free round yesterday (at the fairly easy Yuma course)  ;D

BTW I also looked at my framerates yesterday and TG2 appears to be nicely optimised with framerates comfortably in excess of 60 fps so I have enabled vsync leaving fps at a constant 60 fps.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:40:02 AM by Mailman »
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.4GHZ O/C
Inno 3D Nvidia 1060 (6GB) GPU No O/C
16GB of 2400MHz DDR3 Ram
Razer Diamondback Mouse

maskedriderloi

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
Mailman , Hi  , thanks  for  your reply.
 I played TGC1  for a while  over a year ago. I'm going thru same  process of  getting settings  right .
 Things were really bad for me  until I downloaded  tweak software for my old Razer Death Adder  mouse and set DPI at 3500 , which is  software's max . Very fast but it allows me to actually swing the club slowly . My per round scores dropped from high +20"s to low teen +'s  . Working  on bogie free.
Mouse sensitivity  in game  is another matter - ongoing like you say.

I changed  my putter head  to the  most minimal  one there is; looks like  just a straight rod sort of , nothing fancy ; then painted it bright red so  I can see which direction it's pointing toward.

Also , I didn't see anywhere  in game how to see frame rate so I looked around and found MSI Afterburner  and I hope that should work , just to see some things .  As soon as I finish writing this I'm going to hit some.

What is ATM 90 ?

just read your other thread  ,  and I'm gonna increase  my  m sensitivity and try  different  DPI / sensitivity  etc.

Want to play some rounds??

I haven't  even found anyone to play with yet. joined 2 societies tho and  played probably the worst rounds  on record.
Windows 10
RAM 16 GB

Thrangar

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
send a pm Tee to greens and all will be explained...did you klnow if you cap FPS it will benefit you!
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

TeeToGreens.com

• GroupMember
    • TeeToGreens.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
send a pm Tee to greens and all will be explained...did you klnow if you cap FPS it will benefit you!

Thrangar is 100% correct... You have to cap the FPS on your video card to either 30fps for a cheap older video card OR 60FPS for the newer video cards (1060 Nvida chip example) I can help only IF you have Nvida cards
Marc Harmon
Head Admin
www.TeeToGreens.com
Discod Link:  Click To Join

maskedriderloi

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »
Hello Marc; I just now saw  your reply from the 23rd , telling me  that Thrangar is 100% correct and I should  cap my frame rate  at 30 fps  given that my card  is  an old GT570 Nvidia.  I don't know  how to cap my frame rate ; would  you mind  filling me  in , please?
Windows 10
RAM 16 GB

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
There isn't really a simple answer here.  FPS DOES influence swing tempo, DPI does not.  DPI influences how straight you are going to hit the ball.  If you are playing in competitions, HB and I have suggested to many people a DPI of 800-1000.  The reason is if you go much lower than that, any competition that uses the HB api to detect straight swings, you can and will be tagged as a straight swinger.  The lower your DPI the more advantage you have over other mouse/controller users.

Concerning FPS.  TGC 2 has a feature in its settings called mouse sensitivity.  If you leave it at default, your FPS should be around 60 to have a reliable swing tempo.   The higher your FPS, the lower you need to set the mouse sensitivity to counter the increase in FPS.  If you are playing at a lower FPS you will have to raise mouse sensitivity for the opposite reason.

Having V-sync/free-sync/g-sync on is highly recommended as it will help keep your FPS more leveled.  The last thing you want is on one shot have a FPS of 60, the next at 80 and the next at 30 because you hit into a bunch of trees.  You don't want to be changing the sensitivity of your mouse in game because your GPU is working hard to deal with each new lie and surroundings.  v-sync for oldercards and freesync/g-sync for newer cards helps prevent this.

The best way to do is start with 60 FPS.  If you can achieve it and like it, play it.  If you have a monitor that can go higher, then cap it at 80 or 100, then reduce your mouse sensitivity.  The reason you want to do this it the higher the FPS the faster your swing goes and you will find yourself hitting fast/veryfast in your swings.  Lowering the sensitivity will counter this.

Good luck

Henry Hatch

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »
There isn't really a simple answer here.  FPS DOES influence swing tempo, DPI does not.  DPI influences how straight you are going to hit the ball.  If you are playing in competitions, HB and I have suggested to many people a DPI of 800-1000.  The reason is if you go much lower than that, any competition that uses the HB api to detect straight swings, you can and will be tagged as a straight swinger.  The lower your DPI the more advantage you have over other mouse/controller users.

Concerning FPS.  TGC 2 has a feature in its settings called mouse sensitivity.  If you leave it at default, your FPS should be around 60 to have a reliable swing tempo.   The higher your FPS, the lower you need to set the mouse sensitivity to counter the increase in FPS.  If you are playing at a lower FPS you will have to raise mouse sensitivity for the opposite reason.

Having V-sync/free-sync/g-sync on is highly recommended as it will help keep your FPS more leveled.  The last thing you want is on one shot have a FPS of 60, the next at 80 and the next at 30 because you hit into a bunch of trees.  You don't want to be changing the sensitivity of your mouse in game because your GPU is working hard to deal with each new lie and surroundings.  v-sync for oldercards and freesync/g-sync for newer cards helps prevent this.

The best way to do is start with 60 FPS.  If you can achieve it and like it, play it.  If you have a monitor that can go higher, then cap it at 80 or 100, then reduce your mouse sensitivity.  The reason you want to do this it the higher the FPS the faster your swing goes and you will find yourself hitting fast/veryfast in your swings.  Lowering the sensitivity will counter this.

Good luck

It's not clear to me why dpi settings affect the ability to shoot straight with a mouse. If I set the dpi at 1000 and then change it to 500 the sensitivity along the x axis is reduced by 50% but the length of travel on the y axis is increased by the same amount increasing the chances of error along the x axis. I have always viewed the choice of dpi settings as a personal preference as long as the x and y settings are the same.

I've never been clear what the sensitivity setting in the game does. Why do I need to change sensitivity based on fps ? I thought the sensitivity setting was to match the dpi setting of a mouse. If one has a gaming mouse I'm not sure why an in game sensitivity setting is even necessary.

I'm a long time mouse user who has been using an x box stock 360 controller for about a month. I have started using a controller in the past but have always come back to the mouse. Now that I have learned to  play with a controller after sticking with it I think this time I will not go back. Time will tell. It's clear to me that this game is designed to be played with a controller.

The mouse swing in this game is the worst I have ever seen. I know some people can play it well but that does not make it a good swing.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:13:33 PM by Henry Hatch »

space-cash