frustrated

• 19 Replies

fiddlerpaul

« on: April 16, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
Can anyone point me to a good understanding of the swing? I have been playing quite a while now and shooting par is very tough on the longer courses with Standard clubs which is the only set I can seem to do half decently with.  I find getting the right tempo very elusive, especially with the woods.   I tried Player clubs for a while but found the occasional extra distance not worth the erratic results.  Is there something about the XB1 and it's controller that doesn't really work so well with the swing or is it me?  Is anyone shooting lights out scores on the XB1?
My method to get a straight swing is to look at my thumbstick and I am not too bad at that and I try for a slow perfect tempo, but this results in very varied distances with the woods.  It's like there is a range within the Slow tempo that you can't really detect.   Very Slow gives me more consistency but slightly lower distances and with Standard clubs this is pretty pathetic hitting it 220 on a 450 yard par 4.
Any help would be appreciated.  I am consistently near last on every society that I play on.

Thrangar

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
"  I find getting the right tempo very elusive, especially with the woods."

The same tempo for chip and pitch is the same tempo for the woods...So if your having tempo problembs with woods only its because of your mind set (I have the problem also)

What works for me is ...look down at your controller and picture in your mind that you are hitting a pitch (do this on the driving range first) you will see that it is the same tempo.

Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

fiddlerpaul

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:55 PM »
"  I find getting the right tempo very elusive, especially with the woods."

The same tempo for chip and pitch is the same tempo for the woods...So if your having tempo problembs with woods only its because of your mind set (I have the problem also)

I find pitch shots are more forgiving eg, if you go perfect perfect it still goes the right distance but if you do that with woods it's very short.  Flops are crazy elusive (does this apply to flops too?, maybe I should work on those more and apply that to my woods).   Chips for me are always about going back the right distance for the length you want so I never think about tempo on those.

What works for me is ...look down at your controller and picture in your mind that you are hitting a pitch (do this on the driving range first) you will see that it is the same tempo.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »
Paul, the tempo in TGC 2 requires a bit of a shift from what your real life sense of a golf swing tempo would be.  I hit perfect/perfect tempo something like 85% of the time.  I achieve it be doing something akin to what Thrangar describes, but I've never thought of it as a pitch shot tempo, but that's a pretty fitting analogy.  The key is to not try to accelerate during your downswing, as your IRL golf senses would tell you to do.

TGC 2's tempo is a challenge, but not exactly for the reasons I'd like.  I'd rather see it require something like a downswing that's three or four times the speed of the backswing.  There must be controller limitations that prevent this from happening because Perfect Parallel backed away from their goal of having a 1:4 backswing/downswing ratio requirement in Perfect Golf.  I'd rather have what TGC 2 offers in tempo challenge than nothing, because it does make the swing feel more multidimensional, I just wish it could model real life a bit more fittingly.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »
I don’t watch the controller at all during my swing.  I sort of watch the swing on the screen, especially for a chip or flop shot, but mostly it’s all about touch for me.
i7 6700k Skylake
Asus Maximus VIII
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
OCZ Trion 480 GB SSD.
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Xbox One Elite Controller
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

fiddlerpaul

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:39:27 AM »
Paul, the tempo in TGC 2 requires a bit of a shift from what your real life sense of a golf swing tempo would be.  I hit perfect/perfect tempo something like 85% of the time.  I achieve it be doing something akin to what Thrangar describes, but I've never thought of it as a pitch shot tempo, but that's a pretty fitting analogy.  The key is to not try to accelerate during your downswing, as your IRL golf senses would tell you to do.

TGC 2's tempo is a challenge, but not exactly for the reasons I'd like.  I'd rather see it require something like a downswing that's three or four times the speed of the backswing.  There must be controller limitations that prevent this from happening because Perfect Parallel backed away from their goal of having a 1:4 backswing/downswing ratio requirement in Perfect Golf.  I'd rather have what TGC 2 offers in tempo challenge than nothing, because it does make the swing feel more multidimensional, I just wish it could model real life a bit more fittingly.

So you're saying I need to have a slower downswing (which I definitely haven't been doing), but every Perfect Perfect swing I've done, or most of them,  result in a short lesser distance shot.  But this is an important revelation for me, perhaps, which I hadn't considered.  Will see how it goes.   

SSenator

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
It's basically try to make the back swing the same speed as the down swing. Anything different and you can begin to see issues. Not too fast in either direction or too slow either. If you're getting Slow/Perfect then I think that means you're holding the swing a bit too long at the top or pulling back too slowly. Vice Versa for a Fast swing.
If it's Perfect/Slow then you're not pushing forward fast enough.Vice Versa with Perfect.Fast. See the logic? Try and make that swing fluid in both directions.

Another thing is How long have you had the controller you're using? If it's fairly old or you use the same one to play controller intensive games then it could be time for a new one.It seems to be easier to hit it straighter with a newer,tighter controller.Not so much wobble in the swing path.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »

So you're saying I need to have a slower downswing (which I definitely haven't been doing), but every Perfect Perfect swing I've done, or most of them,  result in a short lesser distance shot.  But this is an important revelation for me, perhaps, which I hadn't considered.  Will see how it goes.

Agree with John.

My comments from a post back in July that works well for me:

Visualize controlling your golfer in the same swing as an Ernie Els or Freddie Couples.

Smooth and rhythmic.

Do NOT accelerate through the downswing to impact as that will have a huge impact on tempo and shot results.

Hope this helps........

The key to the swing is all about the timing of the transition from backswing to downswing.

Focus on those things and I think you will start to see some success.
Current PC:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X - LGA 1151
i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.5 GHZ CPU
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
HP Omen 32" 1440p@75hz
480GB OCZ AMD Radeon R7 2.5" 7mm Internal SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

surdoux

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
When I first started to get the 'hang' of the swing, I was finding that I did not pause at the top of the back swing, the transition was smooth and constant, but because I was 'over swinging' by taking it too far back, it was interpreted as a pause, once I shortened the back swing, it improved dramatically.

mebby

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
I don’t watch the controller at all during my swing.  I sort of watch the swing on the screen, especially for a chip or flop shot, but mostly it’s all about touch for me.

Same here.  I watch my golfer and "feel" my tempo with my fingers.  I'm a pincher (use thumb and index finger to swing instead of thumb only).

I aim for a very slight pause at the top but some say it's not necessary.  The main thing is keeping your backswing pace roughly equal to your downswing pace.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
“Pincher” here too mebby.
i7 6700k Skylake
Asus Maximus VIII
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
OCZ Trion 480 GB SSD.
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

fiddlerpaul

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
It's basically try to make the back swing the same speed as the down swing. Anything different and you can begin to see issues. Not too fast in either direction or too slow either. If you're getting Slow/Perfect then I think that means you're holding the swing a bit too long at the top or pulling back too slowly. Vice Versa for a Fast swing.
If it's Perfect/Slow then you're not pushing forward fast enough.Vice Versa with Perfect.Fast. See the logic? Try and make that swing fluid in both directions.

Another thing is How long have you had the controller you're using? If it's fairly old or you use the same one to play controller intensive games then it could be time for a new one.It seems to be easier to hit it straighter with a newer,tighter controller.Not so much wobble in the swing path.

More consistent now with the slower downswing and noticing better distance.   I use my controller a lot for NHL so that might be a factor.   I certainly dont like my accuracy with the Player and Tour clubs with what I have.   Don't know if I care enough though to fork out more.  I really do enjoy the game as I'm playing it.  I don't know if I would if I was shooting -15 scores.  Right around par now.  Thanks all.

mebby

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

More consistent now with the slower downswing and noticing better distance.   I use my controller a lot for NHL so that might be a factor.   I certainly dont like my accuracy with the Player and Tour clubs with what I have.   Don't know if I care enough though to fork out more.  I really do enjoy the game as I'm playing it.  I don't know if I would if I was shooting -15 scores.  Right around par now.  Thanks all.

I could easily see how transitioning from NHL to TGC2 would be quite a struggle in terms of stick speed!!!
Steam Name - Turnerm05

fiddlerpaul

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »

I could easily see how transitioning from NHL to TGC2 would be quite a struggle in terms of stick speed!!!

Haha,  apples and oranges, golf to hockey.  Definitely got to turn down the adrenaline.

mebby

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »

Haha,  apples and oranges, golf to hockey.  Definitely got to turn down the adrenaline.

Maybe we need a Happy Gilmore mode.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

space-cash