Problem With 4 Iron and Woods

• 7 Replies

kimorra

« on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:13 PM »
Is anyone else having problems hitting the proper distances with the 4 iron or both woods? I can hit all other irons (including the 3) pretty consistently. The 4 iron has become completely useless to me. As for the woods, why does the 5 travel 30-40 yards further than the 3? Shouldn't this be the other way around?

I've played over 300 hours on Pro difficulty and can shoot in the low 70's at Casuals Country Club Island and just under 100 at Magnolia, so I'm not new at this. Is this a bug or is it mental?

A few other comments/questions:
  • I have never gotten backspin on any ball.
  • On some greens, the hole is missing until you get within about 8 feet. On most greens, you can see the hole from over 30 feet.
  • Is there a way to disable the golf cart? I don't use it and, playing room-scale, I constantly see it drop onto the course from about 5 feet in the air.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:58:20 PM »
You talking VR?

kimorra

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Yes, The Golf Club VR.

HB_CraigC

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
Is anyone else having problems hitting the proper distances with the 4 iron or both woods? I can hit all other irons (including the 3) pretty consistently. The 4 iron has become completely useless to me. As for the woods, why does the 5 travel 30-40 yards further than the 3? Shouldn't this be the other way around?

I've played over 300 hours on Pro difficulty and can shoot in the low 70's at Casuals Country Club Island and just under 100 at Magnolia, so I'm not new at this. Is this a bug or is it mental?

A few other comments/questions:
  • I have never gotten backspin on any ball.
  • On some greens, the hole is missing until you get within about 8 feet. On most greens, you can see the hole from over 30 feet.
  • Is there a way to disable the golf cart? I don't use it and, playing room-scale, I constantly see it drop onto the course from about 5 feet in the air.

Hey Kimorra,

Can you elaborate on the issue you are experiencing with the 4i? Trouble with consistency how? Distance, loft, yaw, draw/fade? As for the woods, the 5w should travel less than the 3w, you are correct. And under the hood the loft angle is greater and max head speed is less than the 3w. I'd suspect that your swing speed, contact quality, and contact angle are all just falling in line to achieve this compared to how you swing the 3w.

- Backspin is achievable, but you shouldn't expect the ball to bounce, stop, and roll backwards. You should expect backspin to check up your shots.
- There were a few un-official courses that we experienced missing holes on from a distance during development when playing with very low quality settings, on our lower end rigs. Do you know off hand whether it was an official course? (We obviously couldn't vet 135k courses)
- And no, the golf cart cannot be disabled. It should never spawn in any way that is obstructing your play.

kimorra

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
Tested at least 20 strokes per club today. With swing speeds from 90-100 MPH, I achieved the following distances with the irons: 3I 200-240, 4I 140-170, 5I 165-185, 6I 150-160, 7I 150-165, 8I 140-150, 9I 130-140, PW 120-130, SW 90-110, LW 70-90. Most of the 4I strokes were in the 140-150 range, with my single best being 170 (89% path, 99% contact). That one shot is still 30 yards less than I can easily get with the 3I.

With swing speeds around 110 MPH, I got the following distances with the woods: D 200-250, 3W 160-180, 5W 180-210. No matter how I swing, I cannot get the 3W to go as far as the 5W. Maybe I'm just not swinging the woods correctly. What distances should I expect with this swing speed, extra-stiff shafts, and good contact? How is it that I hit the 3I the same distance as the driver and the 5I the same as the 3W?

I think it is hole 15 at Magnolia that cannot be seen outside of 8 feet. Seems to also disappear when viewed at low angles within 8 feet.

Thanks for the response. This really is an awesome game in VR. Looking forward to playing along with the TPC of Sawgrass this week.

HB_CraigC

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
Tested at least 20 strokes per club today. With swing speeds from 90-100 MPH, I achieved the following distances with the irons: 3I 200-240, 4I 140-170, 5I 165-185, 6I 150-160, 7I 150-165, 8I 140-150, 9I 130-140, PW 120-130, SW 90-110, LW 70-90. Most of the 4I strokes were in the 140-150 range, with my single best being 170 (89% path, 99% contact). That one shot is still 30 yards less than I can easily get with the 3I.

With swing speeds around 110 MPH, I got the following distances with the woods: D 200-250, 3W 160-180, 5W 180-210. No matter how I swing, I cannot get the 3W to go as far as the 5W. Maybe I'm just not swinging the woods correctly. What distances should I expect with this swing speed, extra-stiff shafts, and good contact? How is it that I hit the 3I the same distance as the driver and the 5I the same as the 3W?

I think it is hole 15 at Magnolia that cannot be seen outside of 8 feet. Seems to also disappear when viewed at low angles within 8 feet.

Thanks for the response. This really is an awesome game in VR. Looking forward to playing along with the TPC of Sawgrass this week.

Hey Kimorra,

I love hearing from folks who are enjoying their time in TGCVR. It was definitely one of the most rewarding projects I've been a part of. It's always great to hear that the effort is being well received (with complications or not ;) ).

Now, assuming all of these shots were taken from the Tutorial Island to keep all things equal, I'm curious if you're noticing a significant increase/decrease in loft with the clubs in question. Shifting the loft too far in either direction would certainly result in distance loss. The one aspect of the swing we don't display on the watch is the dynamic loft angle, unfortunately. We decided that because the swing feedback allowed users to see their club face angle at the point of impact, dynamic loft wasn't as important to display on the watch - which was getting crowded with all the information we wanted to display.

If you have noticed the loft to be significantly lower/higher than a club up/down respectively, try adjusting the balls position in your stance (either forward to increase loft, or back to decrease it) and see if you're unable to achieve more expected distances.

Unfortunately, I don't have the TGCVR project installed on my machine (all hands on deck for TGC 2019) so I don't have a quick reference to exactly what those distance calculations would be, based on your head speeds. Plus, as I explained above, dynamic loft is unique to each swing, and as such any number I could even provide wouldn't account for how you hit the ball.

Hopefully adjusting your stance/ball position will help.

kimorra

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
I noticed a couple days ago that my swing had become very outside-in and have worked to correct it. I moved the ball slightly back in my stance to contact it at better position in my swing. My club speed and distances have increased significantly. I'll try to re-test all clubs on Tutorial Island again soon.

While playing at the TPC of Sawgrass, I did hit the 4I 198 yards with path and contact in the 90's, so I see that the troubles were most-likely with my swing and not some bad parameters in the game.

I'll be pleasantly surprised, though, if I can get the 3W to carry further than the 5W. Still not convinced those are because of my swing.

BTW, is anyone there able to fix minor bugs? I haven't been able to select/unselect favorites for a few months.

Thanks again for your response. Wish I could look forward to the TGC 2019, but you guys have spoiled me with a great VR game. To get some of the new features in VR would be awesome.

HB_CraigC

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
BTW, is anyone there able to fix minor bugs? I haven't been able to select/unselect favorites for a few months.
We're all pretty deep in 2019, but I'll see if I can reproduce this favorites issue you're reporting on our VR demo machine here at some point.

space-cash