Golf Swing Mechanics

• 11 Replies

rickhiggs2

« on: May 10, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »
Can we discuss what the mechanics of the golf swing will be in this TGC 2019?

Presently, in TGC2, it's too tough for me to hit quality shots at the Pro setting and still feel like I can compete on TGC Tours.

I’ve also noticed comments in many places of others having the inconsistent behavior of the swing resulting in that occasional sideways shot.

I believe that each controller (PS4 controller), is a bit different.  I've got 5 in the household that we use on 2 PS4's and each is just a little bit different when playing TGC2.  I’m wondering if perhaps the code behind reading the "back and forward" swing is so highly sensitive that we all get a bit different results when performing the exact same motion.  I even have one controller that will not, can not, be used to keep the swing in the red cone.  Practice swing after practice swing, I’m outside to the right each time, until eventually, I’m outside to cone to the left.

I’m curious to know what others think about the current swing mechanic used in TGC2 and what can be improved upon it in TGC 2019?  Do we go back to some variant of the 3 button swing, or strive for something in the current swing, but is more forgiving?

Part of me really loves the current back and forth tempo driven part of the swing.  But the other side of me would like to see something akin to the 3 button approach (start swing, stop backswing, click at impact) to control the power and hook/slice of your shot.

This game is beautiful and nearly limitless in its play variations.  I look forward to a better experience in the swing itself and look forward to hearing what the community has to share on this topic.

I, for one, would love to help provide feedback and beta test for HBS, as much as their willing and able to take, in the area of the golf swing.

Thanks!

Sire0329

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
I have to say I agree with the thought that each controller seems to be a bit different, however, I played until I figured out which controller of my 3 controllers gave me the best, most consistent results and then marked that as the only one I use for the golf club and I also bought a 15' usb cable to plug in as I find it more consistent as well, rather than the Bluetooth. I am not in agreement for a 3 button click or making it easier on the swing mechanics for 3 reasons, 1. clicks are in no way a simulation of anyone's swing and 2. Making it easier for others takes away all of the practicing I have done to get better. 3. The people already better than you and I will only be that much better than they are now. 15 under for them will be 18 to 20 under after changing it.
I started TGC Tours in CC-A and have since climbed to the European Tour and had 1 exemption to the PGA (did not make the cut), but will next time. I would suggest getting on the driving range in the game with each controller and go from there.
Having to practice to get better is a true simulation of golf in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:42:10 AM by Sire0329 »

jazzmv64

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
I have to say I agree with the thought that each controller seems to be a bit different, however, I played until I figured out which controller of my 3 controllers gave me the best, most consistent results and then marked that as the only one I use for the golf club and I also bought a 15' usb cable to plug in as I find it more consistent as well, rather than the Bluetooth. I am not in agreement for a 3 button click or making it easier on the swing mechanics for 3 reasons, 1. clicks are in no way a simulation of anyone's swing and 2. Making it easier for others takes away all of the practicing I have done to get better. 3. The people already better than you and I will only be that much better than they are now. 15 under for them will be 18 to 20 under after changing it.
I started TGC Tours in CC-A and have since climbed to the European Tour and had 1 exemption to the PGA (did not make the cut), but will next time. I would suggest getting on the driving range in the game with each controller and go from there.
Having to practice to get better is a true simulation of golf in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

I disagree with that. Making it easier will not make you better then me. It will be an equalizer. I'm actually ok with the swing mechanic. It took a little work, but now I don't even think about it. We need handicap min/ maxes. And a way for IP to read and allow 2 characters only per game maybe. That way there is minimal cheating for those who want to play at there own level and compete and have fun. Right now, it's as if a Pro Golfer can walk into my amateur club house and play and win my tournament. Handicapping alone won't be enough. People just create new characters and win lesser events.

bobbyb

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
Part of the problem is that the swing mechanics require a great deal of precision movement and controllers are not a precise instrument.  The game needs difficulty levels so pros who want to practice dozens of hours to learn to play sub-par golf have that option.... those who are more casual players can shoot sub-par golf with less time invested. 
Also, I agree with someone above, less difficult swing mechanics is the equalizer to cheating and allows all players to focus on the other finner skills of the game that cannot be manipulated by the user. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:13:58 AM by bobbyb »

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
Less difficult swing mechanics also leads to boredom once you get interested in the game and it becomes easy to stripe every shot.  Sure it will equalize by making everyone hit straight but, is that the only setting/ choice you want from a pga/ golf game?
Created RCR Courses: 
The Links at Lighthouse Sound '19
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

The Links at Gettysburg '19
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

both courses updated  on 7/15/18 for transfer to tgc '19 (using blue golf mapping for accuracy)

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • TGC2 Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
who cares that each controller is different,   does anyone on here really expect a game will come out one day that uses a mouse,  a gamepad ETC, will solve all issues with controller disparity?   Quit trying to attain the unattainable,  if you suck admit it and either get better or keep buying controllers that work..   I have 4 PS4 controllers,  and I can kick ass and play about the same with each one of them on either the PC or the PS4.....   

There are so many variables that determine success with this game!  On PC it can be video card issues,  lag because of specs,   on ps4 it can be from framerate, worn on controller,  ETC..    I believe though that most of the issues just lie in the fact that some of us can't get a handle on swinging how the game intends us to swing to attain a proper golf shot...     
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

Leadbelly

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
I cant speak for the 2019 version, but the TGC2 using tour clubs is pretty easy. You would be hard bent to find a swing any easier at the hardest level, in any other golf game. Bad shots are pretty good and awful shots are not all that bad ether, you don't have to be great player to shoot low numbers.

DONTMAKEMEPUTT

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
Easy really? took me about 2 months to get used to it. This is by no means an easy game on tour clubs

Nowhere even close as easy as Tiger Woods games

lrvenable

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:46 AM »
Easy really? took me about 2 months to get used to it. This is by no means an easy game on tour clubs

Nowhere even close as easy as Tiger Woods games

Same here.  Unfortunately I get more consistent swings just playing a round of golf than when I play career.  I have never had luck playing that (using different controllers, cords, etc).  Every round my shots hook to the left - even when it feels like I am making a perfect swing.  If I quit and just play a regular course then I hit fairly well - I can even feel when I hit it wrong.  I don't buy the bluetooth issue.  To many games play just fine for it to be that.  Also, in the early days of TGC2 they kept tweaking things on the server and then sent out a patch.  I don't mind a challenging golf game as long as the controls are fair and consistent.

El LoCo Ade

• My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »
I'm normally in the top 10 at worst of the official events and most populated societies, and play tour pro clubs, and I disagree with what your man said about being easy. There are days were I can barely keep it on the course, while I watch the mod controller users go pin hunting every single, like they're playing darts.

Agree with OP about different controllers being different, in terms of the official ones anyway. I have my original one from 2014, where for the most part, I'm 8 out of 10 times good. Then my recently bought white storm (or whatever it's called) official one, where I can hit it somewhere remotely straight maybe 3 out of 10 times.
PSN: LocoToro87

Sgt_Smoker71

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
I wish that there was a swing Calibration like they had on one of the older tiger games. Lets you go in and set up your perfect up and down positions. Who you gonna blame then, when you shank?

frankjfusa

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm a middle of the roader, good days and weeks, bad when i cant hit it straight no matter what. Same gamepad, new with my recently purchased PS4 Pro. I know a really, really good player who could probably win every time, and even his swing goes bye-bye. We share an idea that it's the courses themselves that are the root of it. I've played multi-rounders enough, often note that the pull-hook on one day, goes to the same spot the next. This even when accounting for it, aiming differently.

space-cash