Briarcliff Hollow CC

• 9 Replies

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
My next course in the works is Briarcliff Hollow CC. This is a fictional version of Sleepy Hollow CC which is a very highly rated course in real life, but one that certainly stays under the radar. The course was originally designed by Charles Blair Macdonald and has that signature look to it with the deep flat bunkers and bold green designs. Following that sentiment, this will be my boldest MacRaynor course to date that will feature some extremely bold sculpting and bunkering. The whole course is routed and the outer detailing is about 1/3 done. I've managed to fully layout and sculpt seven holes, of which I will post up some fresh pictures soon.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »
A bit of insight.

Philosophy.

For those of you have heard of, or know of C.B Macdonald, Seth Raynor and Charles Banks, you'll have an idea of what the template hole design is all about. For those who don't know, it is quite simple. Template holes are a collection of individual hole designs thought up by Macdonald, and used by himself, Raynor and Banks on each and every course they all designed collectively. These template holes will be at the heart of Briarcliff Hollow, and I will post up a list of templates I will be using once they've been fully finalized.

Routing.

I currently have the course fully routed, and even ten holes fully laid out and sculpted. But I have had to make concessions with the routing by leaving out two very memorable and famous par three's from Sleepy Hollow CC. The reason for this is because of the plot size limitations in TGC2. After much thought and a niggling sense of anxiety over kissing these holes out, I've decided to have a go at completely re-routing the back nine of the course, and to include the two very important par three's that are currently missing.

Sleepy Hollow CC has two course's, the higher course and lower course. The higher being the gem, the eighteen hole course, and the the lower being a nine hole layout. I've decided to be adventurous with this design by using the lower part, and higher side of the course all in one. This gives a great amount of variation in elevations, and also creates some very dramatic backdrops and gorgeous scenery.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
After some major back nine re-routing, I've managed to fit in a better layout that allows for the missing par three's that I wanted it include. The reshuffle has come at a cost of over 100 yards in overall length, but this was necessary to give the course an even closer feel to Sleepy Hollow CC.

Here is a nice short flyover of Sleepy Hollow from 2017. This will give you an idea of how the course will look when completed.

https://youtu.be/EQ2GqPIxuU4

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »
I've just finished building the last par three. Briarcliff Hollow will have a grand total of five par three's. I want this course to be one of the best on the TGC2/2019 database for it's selection of par three's, and decided I'd give five of them, all completey different from one another. Here is a video showing you the flyovers for all five holes...

https://youtu.be/ro3dTORZqzg

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
Well I've been grafting away on this course over the past week and I'm only five holes away from completion. I'm still leaning towards waiting until TGC 2019 for a full and proper release, but I think I'll be releasing a version of this course a week in hand of the new game to get some feedback. I'm going to post up some more screen shots later of some of the progress I've made.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
A test version of Briarcliff is now published. You can find it under BHCC1.

Icyken

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
     Played up to 14th, love the style
   Very groovy as Chelsea would say.

Couldn't help thinking the tree spinning
  feature in 2019 will be a God send for you.
    Look forward to this when it's finished.
                  Cheers Icyken...
COURSES.....

Mink Hollow Golf club
 Hermit of Mink Hollow
 Machrihan Dunes, 2019
 Celtic Isles...CGC.
 Helensburgh Golf club
 The Fruin
 Prestwick, Golf club
 Craigendoran Links

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
     Played up to 14th, love the style
   Very groovy as Chelsea would say.

Couldn't help thinking the tree spinning
  feature in 2019 will be a God send for you.
    Look forward to this when it's finished.
                  Cheers Icyken...
Haha glad you liked the presentation of the course, it's certainly the most 'out there' MacRaynor style course I've built so far, I was hoping for this sort of reaction from people good or bad. I've stopped planting on all of my WIP's now incase the speed tree is very good with port over courses. I'm looking forward to that specific feature though! Thanks for playing.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
The Reverse Redan hole at Briarcliff Hollow has some great options off the tee. I've built it to benefit a punch shot as much as a full shot, which is something I thought was quite unique in this game. Some pins are inaccessible to get close to without using the Redan shoulder, and a punch shot gives it that extra roll you need to reach the longer pins from the slope. Below is a short video. Four different pins, two tee's shots using a normal swing, two using a punch, and all of them using the Redan shoulder.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3l65cav-o

space-cash