Cartpath Width

• 13 Replies

Coggin66

« on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
I've just noticed that my 3 yard cartpath (per the Path Width tool) is actually 6.6 yards wide when I measure it using the measurement tool.  No wonder everyone's cartpaths look so big.  They are more than double the size they think.

I hope this is fixed in TGC2019.
My courses:
TGC2019
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Mount Panorama Bathurst 18
Kentash Bay
Propellor Island Archipelago
TGC1 only
Dam Treitaget GC
Barco Rio Desert GC
Highlow Island Links Resort

XB1: Coggin66
President of XB Seniors society

DuskyNewt065757

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
I don't know if this would be similar but can you try to edit the width just as you can when applying splines of different surfaces?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dusky
my Courses -
Klubbinhand GC Pocono, PA
Locust Lakes (Municipal)
Fox Hollow Bucks Co Pa
South County Creek
Easton's Isle
Lehigh Power Spillway

HockeyNick30

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
I've also thought most cartpaths look rather wide.  I've always shrunk mine while placing them because it looked like a normal road left at default.
Course Creations:

Straits of Mackinac
Kendall's Luau
Kameron's Oasis
Michigan Hollows
Michigan Falls
The Park at Krysta Falls

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
They took a backward step in TGC2 cartpaths no idea what went wrong,when you try to make the smaller the path goes really wonky at a decent size.hopefully they be better in TGC 2019.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »
TBH...... I never really noticed this because I’m not a big fan of putting empty golf carts on the paths.  I use them more for defining holes.  I also use them (wider) for roads in the background.  Be able to put people in them.... or better yet make them move around the paths, then you got something... lol.

The major thing I notice about them is that most designers don’t really have a clue... or care about smoothing them.  It takes time, but there’s really no sense in using them at all if you can’t make them look right.  My friend and I played a course last night where the cart paths looked more suitable for BMX Bikes or skateboards...... just saying.....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:53:17 PM by RockManDan »
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

wkdworms74

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
Yup you can edit the splines to make them whatever width you like. Think standard is 3.0 maybe???
Created courses:
Skipping Rock Resort & Vineyard
Burketown
Troon North Pinnacle GC
Troon North Monument GC
Mossy Creek
Bellewood CC
The Cliffs at Pine Creek
Hualapai Dunes
Ivy Ridge C.C.
Maple Ridge
Sandy Bottom Bayou
Finnigin's Cove
Old Pine Glenn Manor
Copper Canyon Pro Course

Antiparosjez

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
TBH...... I never really noticed this because I’m not a big fan of putting empty golf carts on the paths.  I use them more for defining holes.  I also use them (wider) for roads in the background.  Be able to put people in them.... or better yet make them move around the paths, then you got something... lol.

The major thing I notice about them is that most designers don’t really have a clue... or care about smoothing them.  It takes time, but there’s really no sense in using them at all if you can’t make them look right.  My friend and I played a course last night where the cart paths looked more suitable for BMX Bikes or skateboards...... just saying.....

You're right it's a pet hate of mine seeing rubbish cart paths that haven't been smoothed out much if at all; just looks poor. It takes ages to smooth them out currently and it's pretty boring but the only way to get any degree of realism into a design. Hopefully this new update/game will sort things out and provide darker cart path colour options (have doubts it will sadly as nothing to do with PGA or beards but remain hopeful).
Grendel Woods The Pier Sandyhurst Lakes North Kernow, Chart Lakes, West Foreland Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park, Gull Rock, City Park, Mullion Cliffs, Wealden Forest, Brookland Marshes

KingPlayer

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »

You're right it's a pet hate of mine seeing rubbish cart paths that haven't been smoothed out much if at all; just looks poor. It takes ages to smooth them out currently and it's pretty boring but the only way to get any degree of realism into a design. Hopefully this new update/game will sort things out and provide darker cart path colour options (have doubts it will sadly as nothing to do with PGA or beards but remain hopeful).

I agree...
Cartpaths are my pet peeve also....
If you dont start with a flat layout then you will spend the most time out of any task in the game flattening and resizing them to look anything like something an actual cart could drive along.

I would like to see an option to autolevel the path with a setting or two as to the depth the path would cut into the terrain while keeping the path level.
IMO it would be easier to level the edges around the leveled path after applying the cart path level that to try to level the whole path as you have to do now.
this is currently the most tedious task besides placing grass currently.

I know some don't like paths but for me a course is not realistic without them ..just looks too unfinished. HB please address this request.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
I find it works well if I go around the area and flatten it some before laying down the cart path......  Then after I lay it I go back and smooth out the bumps...  There’s no getting around them.  They just take a little care and patience.  I don’t think that autolevelling would be a good option though.  It would probably cut into everything and make courses look like the turnpike cut into the side of a mountain.  Unfortunately.... you can only go so small with a path before it doesn’t work right..  maybe we’ll see an option in 2019...... WHENEVER IT FINALLY GETS RELEASED.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:17 PM »
Splines are really jacked up in TGC2.  When it comes to fairway and rough, it's not quite a big deal because you only need to worry about the outside edge.  But when it comes to cart paths, they're really a mess.  You can't "fix" the kinks by laying another spline over it because it widens that area of the cart path.  So you have to mess with moving the waypoints and handles.  When you shrink cart paths, they get all wiggly and look terrible. 

I've read that HB has done some work on splines in the new game.  HB_Paul, we're all counting on you!!
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
Cartpaths were good in TGC1 once they were added,no idea what went wrong with them in TGC2 awful.

GForce41

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »
I wouldn't stress too much about the cart paths. They certainly do add a sense of realism to a course, and there are some designers who do an amazing job with them enhancing the look of the course...but keep in mind, no one plays a course for the cart paths. In fact there are a lot of well known (real life) courses that are "walking only" with limited paths etc. So it depends on what you are building. What I do, as I have limited time for extras, is try to include them but keep them out of the way. They are there for realism, but set back a little when possible. I also try to make sure they go around and along side a hole and never go across a hole at any point. The key is smoothing as already stated. As also said above, including them but having them bumpy etc does look awful. Hence, I would say keep it simple if you can!
GForce41

My Courses:
John Adams Municipal GC
The Rawhide at Santa Ynez
Hessian Hill Golf Club
Carrabasset Valley Golf Club
Penobscot Bay Golf Links
Nohansett CC 2019 Edition
Southfield Pond Golf Links

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
I wouldn't stress too much about the cart paths. They certainly do add a sense of realism to a course, and there are some designers who do an amazing job with them enhancing the look of the course...but keep in mind, no one plays a course for the cart paths. In fact there are a lot of well known (real life) courses that are "walking only" with limited paths etc. So it depends on what you are building. What I do, as I have limited time for extras, is try to include them but keep them out of the way. They are there for realism, but set back a little when possible. I also try to make sure they go around and along side a hole and never go across a hole at any point. The key is smoothing as already stated. As also said above, including them but having them bumpy etc does look awful. Hence, I would say keep it simple if you can!

If you're going for a resort course look or a local municipal look, cart paths are a must. 
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

liquidsnake000

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
They need to sink the paths into the terrain too, sometimes they just look as if they had been painted on over the grass.
bring on 2019 tgc.

space-cash