Falling Water Golf Club + Falling Water Golf Club-Sunny

• 51 Replies

Matt43

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »
Hey John Eric.

Quite a few of the designers over at Tgc tours have given the course some kudos. In general I would say there is good support in the community. To be honest I haven’t been overly active playing other courses over the last few months as I spent pretty much all my time designing. Now that I’m finished I’m trying to catch up with some of the great courses that have been released so that I can provide some feedback to community. Feedback good or bad is always great, I just hope guys who perhaps didn’t enjoy the course are not holding back any criticism of the course. It’s the only way we get better as designers.

Stupid question but with all the heavy hitter designers out there why isn't there more kudos coming from those guys on this incredible course? Is support not good for designers outside the fraternity?  This is one of the best I've seen good job.
played this 3 times and I’ve finally got under 70 with a 67. Is definitely a tough one if you don’t fully concentrate. I’ve only designed 2 courses and got lots of good advice from some of the best designers. If you get the chance it would be great if you could give them a play. The greens of woodhall hills and the bay of st Annes. That’s just been released which is probably the worst time with the new one due this month.

Rjwils30

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
Glad you finally cracked 70! 

I would be happy to have a look at your courses and provide some feedback. I should be able to get to at least one of your courses this week.

Hey John Eric.

Quite a few of the designers over at Tgc tours have given the course some kudos. In general I would say there is good support in the community. To be honest I haven’t been overly active playing other courses over the last few months as I spent pretty much all my time designing. Now that I’m finished I’m trying to catch up with some of the great courses that have been released so that I can provide some feedback to community. Feedback good or bad is always great, I just hope guys who perhaps didn’t enjoy the course are not holding back any criticism of the course. It’s the only way we get better as designers.

Stupid question but with all the heavy hitter designers out there why isn't there more kudos coming from those guys on this incredible course? Is support not good for designers outside the fraternity?  This is one of the best I've seen good job.
played this 3 times and I’ve finally got under 70 with a 67. Is definitely a tough one if you don’t fully concentrate. I’ve only designed 2 courses and got lots of good advice from some of the best designers. If you get the chance it would be great if you could give them a play. The greens of woodhall hills and the bay of st Annes. That’s just been released which is probably the worst time with the new one due this month.
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Matt43

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
Glad you finally cracked 70! 

I would be happy to have a look at your courses and provide some feedback. I should be able to get to at least one of your courses this week.

Hey John Eric.

That would awesome thank you.

wkdworms74

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »
Had the opportunity to play yesterday and despite the fact that I had a terrible round, I enjoyed every minute. Spectacular course. Very well thought out and natural. Great work appreciate your contribution!

Cheers
Created courses:
Skipping Rock Resort & Vineyard
Burketown
Troon North Pinnacle GC
Troon North Monument GC
Mossy Creek
Bellewood CC
The Cliffs at Pine Creek
Hualapai Dunes
Ivy Ridge C.C.
Maple Ridge
Sandy Bottom Bayou
Finnigin's Cove
Old Pine Glenn Manor
Copper Canyon Pro Course

stan_solo

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 10:29:50 AM »
I mentioned on one of your other courses that the running water has been poorly done  .... that seems to be the case here too
Something that needs working on before publishing

The rest of your design is excellent  ...

Rjwils30

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »
Hey. Thanks for playing Stan. Yes I recall your comment from Reverand and appreciate the critique. The running water is a bit of beast. Haven’t found a great way to do it. Especially on a course where the predominant feature is a huge river. One option was to add the rapids to the enitre river to avoid the geometric outlines of the rapids. But that eats up a ton of the planting meter. I tried to use it intermittently to introduce sections of rapids but it still looks a bit odd. Especially from above. Not to mention the speed of the water which is pretty intense. Would be nice if we could dial it down. Aside from those limitations do you feel there are any specific things I could do to make rivers more visually appealing? To be honest I could have focussed a tonne if my time just on the river if I wanted to make it really natural. Kind of ran out of steam prior to the publish. Perhaps 2019 has some improvements to this that I can incorporate.

I mentioned on one of your other courses that the running water has been poorly done  .... that seems to be the case here too
Something that needs working on before publishing

The rest of your design is excellent  ...
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 11:37:26 PM »
Not much you can really do with it the way it is.  The only thing I’ve been able to lookpassable is a very low waterfall with some distance from the camera route.  I really hope this is improved in 19.  A control on the flow rate is definitely needed.  You did a great job on both courses considering what you had to work with.  A builder is only as good as his tools.......
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

stan_solo

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
Aside from those limitations do you feel there are any specific things I could do to make rivers more visually appealing? 

As a non designer I'm no help here but I base my opinions on the 1000's of courses I've played and you get a good eye for these things
Whether it's water ,bunkers , greens or hole layouts in general

It is useful when designers can share their techniques and I found SAM to be most impressive with how he does water
and Arctic Fury likewise with the bunkers he has done lately since owning a PC

Designing on consoles can be a mare with the limitations on the meters so it's more difficult for you guys
HB haven't really touched the water [maybe a little aesthetically ] for 2019 which is both annoying and a shame

Thanks for taking my critique in good faith and I do enjoy your courses,some of which are in my favourites
I look forward to all your future creations

Stan

Tauno Palo

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
This is one of those courses that you'd expect having to be pay a virtual green fee for. The most beautiful course I've played to this day in TGC series. Gave me some Alaskan wilderness vibes.

Everything has been thought of, every shot, every view. Everything just works and makes sense. And the fact that it plays so well also with no lag at all. Bravo, indeed.
Managed to play -11 from the back tees, but to be honest, I don't give too dongs about the score on courses like this one.

Well played, sir. Keep it going. 6/5, favorite and a virtual handshake for you.

-Palo
Designer and a golf enthusiast.

My courses IN TGC2:

Emerald Lake GC
Oaken Hills GC
The Edelweiss Valley CC
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, USA (RCR)
TPC Louisiana, Avondale, LA (RCR)

TGC 2019:

Palos Verdes Park GC
The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Stag Point GC
Emerald Lake GC 2019

Daryl_71

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
This is definitely a polarizing course.  On the one hand, it's one of the prettiest courses out there, on the other, some people find it to be a bumpy ride.  Then, of course there's the water issue.

I saw all three of those when I played.  The water wasn't an issue at all with me, however it would be interesting to see how the course would view without it.  It might be twice as pretty in some people's eyes.

The bumpy part.  I had read the comments and your response about the designer who makes courses on rough terrain.  Dude, I thought you nailed it.  You captured that without it ever seeming "tricked up." If you missed a putt, it was because of your own play.  Kudos on that.

I'm not a huge fan of cloudy skies but it worked well.  I will definitely try to play your sunny version. 

My only criticism, and this is nitpicking.  I had read this thread before I played and you said you wanted feedback good or bad.  So I looked.  The only flaw, and its minor.  If you port this over to the new game.  Go back and take a look at all your greens, specifically on the edges.  There were a few spots where they just seemed to curl up in an unnatural way why trying to achieve the look you were going for.  Not a big deal, hardly anyone would notice, but anyone who spends that time making a course that grand would probably want to hear it.

Oh, and your looks off the tee over the water with the rocks were stunning.

Cheers and thanks making and hearing our opinions.

Rjwils30

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »

Thanks Dan. It’s one of those things where I like the ambience and the noise of the river. It adds life to the course. At a detail level it’s less successful. I’m staying clear of rivers for a while!

Not much you can really do with it the way it is.  The only thing I’ve been able to lookpassable is a very low waterfall with some distance from the camera route.  I really hope this is improved in 19.  A control on the flow rate is definitely needed.  You did a great job on both courses considering what you had to work with.  A builder is only as good as his tools.......
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Rjwils30

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2018, 11:57:44 PM »
Really Appreciate the comments Tauno. Glad you enjoyed the round. -11 is pretty darn good on that course. Don’t see many guys going that low.

This is one of those courses that you'd expect having to be pay a virtual green fee for. The most beautiful course I've played to this day in TGC series. Gave me some Alaskan wilderness vibes.

Everything has been thought of, every shot, every view. Everything just works and makes sense. And the fact that it plays so well also with no lag at all. Bravo, indeed.
Managed to play -11 from the back tees, but to be honest, I don't give too dongs about the score on courses like this one.

Well played, sir. Keep it going. 6/5, favorite and a virtual handshake for you.

-Palo
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Rjwils30

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 12:02:29 AM »
Thanks for comments Daryl. Love the feedback. You know there’s so much to look at during a course design that sometimes it’s easy to lose the details. When I bring it in to 2019 Ill have a more thorough look at all the little bits that were unfinished. It’s also great getting insight into what certain people notice. I tend to look at the big picture stuff and it’s good to get the more detailed viewpoint from the guys playing it. Thanks again for playing!

Rob.

This is definitely a polarizing course.  On the one hand, it's one of the prettiest courses out there, on the other, some people find it to be a bumpy ride.  Then, of course there's the water issue.

I saw all three of those when I played.  The water wasn't an issue at all with me, however it would be interesting to see how the course would view without it.  It might be twice as pretty in some people's eyes.

The bumpy part.  I had read the comments and your response about the designer who makes courses on rough terrain.  Dude, I thought you nailed it.  You captured that without it ever seeming "tricked up." If you missed a putt, it was because of your own play.  Kudos on that.

I'm not a huge fan of cloudy skies but it worked well.  I will definitely try to play your sunny version. 

My only criticism, and this is nitpicking.  I had read this thread before I played and you said you wanted feedback good or bad.  So I looked.  The only flaw, and its minor.  If you port this over to the new game.  Go back and take a look at all your greens, specifically on the edges.  There were a few spots where they just seemed to curl up in an unnatural way why trying to achieve the look you were going for.  Not a big deal, hardly anyone would notice, but anyone who spends that time making a course that grand would probably want to hear it.

Oh, and your looks off the tee over the water with the rocks were stunning.

Cheers and thanks making and hearing our opinions.
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Rjwils30

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip to look at Sam’s water work. I’ll load up his most recent course in the next few days and have a look. And arctic fury’s work is always great to look at when looking for inspiration.

Cheers. Thanks again for the feedback.

Aside from those limitations do you feel there are any specific things I could do to make rivers more visually appealing? 

As a non designer I'm no help here but I base my opinions on the 1000's of courses I've played and you get a good eye for these things
Whether it's water ,bunkers , greens or hole layouts in general

It is useful when designers can share their techniques and I found SAM to be most impressive with how he does water
and Arctic Fury likewise with the bunkers he has done lately since owning a PC

Designing on consoles can be a mare with the limitations on the meters so it's more difficult for you guys
HB haven't really touched the water [maybe a little aesthetically ] for 2019 which is both annoying and a shame

Thanks for taking my critique in good faith and I do enjoy your courses,some of which are in my favourites
I look forward to all your future creations

Stan
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Jwheels9876

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »
This is going to be the first course I play when the simulator version comes out hopefully this winter. I tried playing the video game but it's just not my cup of tea playing with a controller.

The course itself is just beautiful from tee to green every hole.

space-cash