Falling Water Golf Club + Falling Water Golf Club-Sunny

• 51 Replies

Calavera999

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
What a stunning creation. Courses like this make me want to put an original course together, because its my personal opinion that the creativity and genius that goes into courses like this far surpasses anything achieved in an RCR.

You've also have a gorgeous signature par 3 with the rocky hill cutting through the middle.

I would love to know how your creative process works.
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

Rjwils30

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »
Thanks for playing. Appreciate the comments. I’ll give you sense of how I approach design. There are 3 things that I try to achieve. 1. A course that explores and takes advantage of the unique features on the property. 2. A set of holes that offer a wide variety of tee and approach shots that can vary depending on the wind and pin location. 3. create holes that use the 3 dimensional characteristics of the course. Make players think what happens when the ball hits the ground.

To arrive at these objectives I always start a project by creating an interesting site. In the case of falling water I built topography and the river prior to thinking about the course itself. Once complete I explore the site and look for interesting areas on the property to route holes over. This is where most of the innovation occurs. By forcing myself to adhere to the existing terrain I have to come up with interesting solutions to address the landforms present on the site. The alternate approach is to start from a flat featureless site and route everything in 2d prior to doing any sculpting. This approach doesn’t work for me as I like to be inspired by the landscape. It’s what fuels my creativity.

Once I have a routing figured out I tend spend a lot of time playing in the sandbox. Testing different ideas out on each hole until I get it to play how want. This process can take a long time especially if the landscape is severe. I always want to make a hole play a multitude of ways and I am constantly asking myself what the incentives are for playing he hole 1 way or the other. Ideally there is no singular way to play it and changes in the wind and Pin locations. My process is not a meticulous one and makes it hard to control the cleanliness of the course however it’s awseome when you stumble upon a unique concept for a hole that you wouldn’t have thought of had you just drawn it in 2D.

Just a few thoughts in how I approach things.

What a stunning creation. Courses like this make me want to put an original course together, because its my personal opinion that the creativity and genius that goes into courses like this far surpasses anything achieved in an RCR.

You've also have a gorgeous signature par 3 with the rocky hill cutting through the middle.

I would love to know how your creative process works.
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

Calavera999

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 07:02:06 AM »
To arrive at these objectives I always start a project by creating an interesting site. In the case of falling water I built topography and the river prior to thinking about the course itself. Once complete I explore the site and look for interesting areas on the property to route holes over. This is where most of the innovation occurs. By forcing myself to adhere to the existing terrain I have to come up with interesting solutions to address the landforms present on the site. The alternate approach is to start from a flat featureless site and route everything in 2d prior to doing any sculpting. This approach doesn’t work for me as I like to be inspired by the landscape. It’s what fuels my creativity.

Love this, I've always disliked flattening a course before creation and I also like to use an undulated canvas to work on, but the fact you build a landscape before working out the holes is very interesting. As you say, it must provide a lot of thinking out the box and force creativity.

I think it also shows quite clearly that you've designed WITH the landscape, as opposed to built one around a golf course.

Cheers 👍
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

trevorprice07

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
Hey. Are you going to reup this on tgc2019?

Rjwils30

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:39 AM »
I’m in the process of fixing it up while building another course as well. Hopefully I can port it over in the next few weeks.

Hey. Are you going to reup this on tgc2019?
Blue River Dunes GC
Elysian Downs Golf Club
Falling Water Golf Club
Reverand Green Golf Club
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC

rolfgolf

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
Big Thanks for this course!