Recommended distances

• 2 Replies

golfdesignnewb

« on: August 25, 2018, 03:07:41 AM »
Just curious what people want to play in terms of distance.  Just curious if a PGA TOYR layout where 443 is a “short par 4” is appealing or if shorter courses are?

To be fair, regardless of anyone’s opinion, the game play in what is semi easy to play gives you 280 tee shots.

Just browsing my own courses (which is what I mostly play) I dunno anything not 450 is long or short (for a par 4).

Also (not quite the topic), but I feel the line between a very easy birdie (or easy par) and then like an impossible but still fair hole is very fine, yet makes or breaks playing experience.

Do you make your courses easy (either to the extent you OR the public will play them)???

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »
Just curious what people want to play in terms of distance.  Just curious if a PGA TOYR layout where 443 is a “short par 4” is appealing or if shorter courses are?

To be fair, regardless of anyone’s opinion, the game play in what is semi easy to play gives you 280 tee shots.

Just browsing my own courses (which is what I mostly play) I dunno anything not 450 is long or short (for a par 4).

Also (not quite the topic), but I feel the line between a very easy birdie (or easy par) and then like an impossible but still fair hole is very fine, yet makes or breaks playing experience.

Do you make your courses easy (either to the extent you OR the public will play them)???

Its more about score variance and balance than anything else. As long as the holes provide the player with interesting strategic choices and test a lot of their shots it’s all good.

A course full of three shot par fives, straight 455yds par fours and 190+ par threes is not the way to go. But in general the course will need to be at least 7200yds or so to be interesting for competitive play.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
I’ve played very challenging Par 4’s at 280 or a little less.  It depends on the layout.  Bunker placement and green size make a difference as does green height in comparison to the tee.  An uphill green will usually play longer than it actually is.  Green speed is another consideration as well.  A Par 4 that is driveable under the right conditions is nice to have 1 or 2 per course.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

space-cash