Imported Spyglass, the results...

• 9 Replies

Calavera999

« on: August 27, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
Fairways broken with holes to fill and shapes to fix, and paths which were lovely and smooth are now very wonky edged. Seems to be a problem with the official courses so maybe a more intrinsic issue with the game.

Trees, planting and terrain all look great. Courses look so much nicer.

Still sadly pretty impossible to have lighting low if you have trees near the holes. Shadows are really dark.

All in all quite an impressive transition, but please look carefully at all splines before publishing.
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

Tuco

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:43 PM »
Many thanks for the heads-up. 
The Golf Club 2019:

Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

Calavera999

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »
No problem, i did some testing with placing some new fairway splines, with sensible distances between waypoints. When smoothed, there was a lot of wobbly edges at certain points, and alot of curves actually looked quite square. If that makes sense.

Splines definitely looked neater in TGC2.

Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

Tuco

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
Again, thanks.  The designer is the first thing that I'll be having a look at, and importing a couple of my courses that were all about splines.  You're making me nervous.   ;)
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

Calavera999

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
Again, thanks.  The designer is the first thing that I'll be having a look at, and importing a couple of my courses that were all about splines.  You're making me nervous.   ;)

I'm genuinely being driven mad by trying to get 2.0 width cart paths to have straight edges. On TGC2 anything above 1.7 looked great, on this it seems you need to whack it up to 2.5!

Maybe someone can give me some advice on how to tame splines in this editor. My curves are not drastic and my handles are sensibly placed.
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

SkinniePost

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »

I'm genuinely being driven mad by trying to get 2.0 width cart paths to have straight edges. On TGC2 anything above 1.7 looked great, on this it seems you need to whack it up to 2.5!

Maybe someone can give me some advice on how to tame splines in this editor. My curves are not drastic and my handles are sensibly placed.

Splines are FUBAR...  And even cooler the narrowest width is now 1.7, but 1 width splines still port over?

Calavera999

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »

Splines are FUBAR...  And even cooler the narrowest width is now 1.7, but 1 width splines still port over?

Narrow splines that are transferring may be the issue.
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
The system for generating the splines has changed and it appears that they've increased in size a little bit which is causing some issues for some people.  Older splines that were less than the new minimum we decided to keep intact since it may or may not have an effect on existing courses.  It can be adjusted once you import the course and it should hopefully clean things up a little for people. 

If there are holes in your fairway I can suggest using the fill spline option to help things out. 

right now its incorrect to say that the splines are broken, they're just different.  We try to keep things as close to the same that we can but we never make a guarantee that things will remain 100% the same. 

Enef56

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
I find the colours way to rich, I have an Autumn course and the trees look fluorescent.
Usual problem trees in front of tees etc, and I don’t understand why it changes the trees, if it’s the same theme why does it switch say an ash for an elm, crazy, the Willow trees are a disaster, whoever drew them must have been over the limit, and still crashes on the PS4 when you try to replay a shot, sometimes it jumps two shots and then freezes, we never had more than one undo the whole life of tgc2, I hope it’s not a bad omen

Calavera999

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
The system for generating the splines has changed and it appears that they've increased in size a little bit which is causing some issues for some people.  Older splines that were less than the new minimum we decided to keep intact since it may or may not have an effect on existing courses.  It can be adjusted once you import the course and it should hopefully clean things up a little for people. 

If there are holes in your fairway I can suggest using the fill spline option to help things out. 

right now its incorrect to say that the splines are broken, they're just different.  We try to keep things as close to the same that we can but we never make a guarantee that things will remain 100% the same.

I appreciate you think it's "incorrect" that I believe splines aren't working correctly, but its taken me all day to try and get a neat edge on even brand new splines. All paths have a wavy edge and can only be rectified by increasing size to 2.5 and upwards. It certainly wasn't this way in the last designer and in my opinion they were much better. Just my experience.

If this is correct, then splines aren't very pretty this year, maybe I'll find a trick to get them looking neater.

Brand new spline with what used to be a simple curve/smoothing applied.

The holes and tears in the fairways are a simple fix, I just noted it as it was an effect of transferring a course.
Courses completed:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

In Progress
Gary Player CC
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium)

space-cash