Mouse play nearly impossible

• 17 Replies

wolfowitz

« on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
I know im am not alone with this, but using a mouse in TGC 2019, it is nearly unplayable.
In TGC2 i played tour clubs without problems with a mouse, but in 2019 it seems impossible to find any sweetspot in mouse settings + sensitivity.

There are discussions in other forums, where everyone experience the same issues.
For ex https://steamcommunity.com/app/695290/discussions/0/1733210552693637462/

Please take a look at the mouse issues.

Tootall

• Stress Test
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
I'm using a logitech G502 set at 1400 dpi getting perfect perfect 80% of my swings on pro clubs the other 20% are mostly slow back swings. I found that not pausing at the top of the back swing is key.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm figuring there will be some tweaks with the mouse swing as there was in TGC 1/2.   It'd be nice for the developers to explain what differences from previous games and offer some suggestions.

From what I have seen the swing is different from previous games because once you start your backswing it doesn't stop until you move the mouse forward.  Pulling back as far as you did in previous versions means you have to go further in your foreswing, which is going to cause issues with direction, especially if you have a higher DPI.  The higher the DPI and the move distance you move your mouse, the harder it is to keep straight.

Some have said the key to this swing they found is pull back a 1/2 inch and stop, wait for the back swing to get where you want and then push forward a 1/2 inch.  For me if this is how it is, I'm going to have an issue with it because that means the swing is no longer a fluid swing. On TGC 2, yes there was a slight pause at the top as you transitioned into your down swing but you could set your DPI and mouse sensitivity settings so you could pull back the mouse, transition and push forward in one, fluid movement.  During the stress test I found this was very different and difficult to do and that the BEST result for a shot was to pull back just a bit, wait until the swing was at the top, then swing forward.  Boom straight, 100% power swing, but not a realistic golf swing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:31:46 AM by Brighttail »

HB_CraigC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »
Hey guys, (posted this on another thread, so I figured I'd post it here as well)

The mouse input has received a much needed update for this iteration of TGC, so it will definitely feel different for those of you who used the mouse swing in prior versions of TGC. In years past you were able to pause your backswing at any point before transitioning to your downswing. This basically nullified the tempo aspect of our tempo swing system for mouse. It was discovered this time around and the solution was to prevent this from happening, making the mouse perform more akin to the swing stick on a controller.

Now, if you find yourself starting to backswing as soon as you click your mouse, that means there is some downwards movement on the mouse. Those of you playing with a DPI >1000 are likely going to experience this more so than those playing around the DPI level that the mouse input was tuned for (1000 DPI with the in game sensitivity set to 50).

If your DPI is 1000 and you were to reduce the in game sensitivity setting down to 0 it's akin to having a DPI of 400, while setting it to 100 would like having a DPI of 1600. It's a pretty linear scale, and done this way for our mouse players to be able to customize a swing that feel right for them, while adhering to our swing tempo system.

There's a couple suggestions here to really let you fine tune how your swing input feels and reduce any accidental swing input:
  • Lower the mouse sensitivity in-game (Settings>Controls>Mouse Swing Sensitivity)
  • Lower your mouse DPI through your OS or any 3rd party software that may have been included with a gaming mouse, such as Logitech, Razer, etc)

Hopefully this information helps you guys adjust to the updated mouse swing inpot.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:28:57 PM by HB_CraigC »
~Senior Game Designer

Tootall

• Stress Test
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »
I like the swing just the way it is. I move my mouse about 2" to 2.5" both in the back swing and the forward swing. I found that by keeping the mouse moving during the back swing and when you reach the top of the swing go forward at the same speed you moved the mouse in your back swing. I have default settings in the game and have my mouse at 1400 dpi Using pro clubs I can keep the swing plane in the blue 95% of the time. I find using my mouse in this way to be a lot like a true golf swing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:30:51 AM by Tootall »

Tootall

• Stress Test
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:07:03 AM »
I want to change my post saying "I don't want the swing mechanics to change at all". TO "It must be fixed"  I have changed over to master clubs and the swing is not what it should be I can only hit p/p maybe 25% of the time it needs to be fixed as soon as possible for mouse users to be able to have any chance of competing with controller users

moneyman273

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
In TGC 2, a majority of the players always at the top of the leaderboards were PC and PS4.  Very few Xbox players at the top.  This seems to be evening out to be honest.  Just need to find the right tempo.  Trust me, I had this same frustration on the xbox side for TGC 2.  Game was too easy for players on PC and PS4. 

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
The difference between a mouse and a stick is very simple.
  • The mouse is a pointer, wherease the stick is a mover.
  • The mouse controlls the movement of the pointer, whereas the stick controlls the speed of a movement.
Therefore the current TGC2 implementation counteracts all a mouse user is used to and makes the control asynchrounous and uncontrolable.
Adding the fact that half of the keyboard input is not or incorrectly workting the game has become unplayable for mouse/keyboard users.

There are only 2 solutions to this. Either fix keyboard and mouse handling in the game to what keyboard and mouse are designed for or clearly state that a controller is required to play this game and remove mous and keyboard completely from it. Simulating a controller using the keyboard and mouse is less then a poor solution.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
I would simply ask Craig to look at the thread below where we have been discussing this situation.

We know the reasons why the mouse swing was changed. We may not like it but we accept it.  We also understand there is no plans to sync up the animation to a 1:1 ratio like the controller currently has.  (To be fair it isn't 100% 1:1 but it is 8 times closer than the mouse swing)

I guess what many of us are asking is a little help.  Most of us can deal with the pro clubs using the mouse.  As in TGC 2, the timing windows were changed multiple times with both the mouse and controllers.  If HB were to slightly loosen the timing window for Master clubs I think many of us could actually play them and would play them.  As it stands the speed necessary to transition from back to down swing is simply too fast for many of us. 

Believe me as a person who understands DPI and Mouse sensitivity settings better than most, I have tried dozens and dozens of varying settings.  I've accepted I won't get my preferred swing back of a 1:1 ratio but I do hope that HB can at least look at the number of people who have been struggling so mightily with the current Master clubs. I play with Tootall and he has adjusted well, but I think even he would say that the tempo timings could be loosened just a smidge. 

Please note that we aren't talking about taking them down to the Pro/Beginner level but just a little help and some recognition that the swing as it is, is simply a little too difficult.  I've played over 100 rounds and spent many hours on the range.  I can shoot -5 to -10 pretty consistently with pro clubs.  I'm no where near that with masters and it is always the same thing a swing that is either p/p with 90-95% or a s/p with 100% power.  This is the same issue most all other mouse users are having.

Simply put without the tempo then the rest of the game is moot. If we can't find a fair swing to play with to compete with those controllers that have the almost 1:1 ratio and is much easier to find that tempo because of the inherit physical characteristics of the controller stick versus a mouse, why even play? Please do not think we haven't tried, we have over many, many, many hours.  I don't think we are asking much.  We are simply asking a little loosening of the tempo timings for master clubs as has been done before.

Thanks.

Please see the thread below:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,25772.0.html

Inflames47

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 05:43:54 AM »
I would simply ask Craig to look at the thread below where we have been discussing this situation.

We know the reasons why the mouse swing was changed. We may not like it but we accept it.  We also understand there is no plans to sync up the animation to a 1:1 ratio like the controller currently has.  (To be fair it isn't 100% 1:1 but it is 8 times closer than the mouse swing)

I guess what many of us are asking is a little help.  Most of us can deal with the pro clubs using the mouse.  As in TGC 2, the timing windows were changed multiple times with both the mouse and controllers.  If HB were to slightly loosen the timing window for Master clubs I think many of us could actually play them and would play them.  As it stands the speed necessary to transition from back to down swing is simply too fast for many of us. 

Believe me as a person who understands DPI and Mouse sensitivity settings better than most, I have tried dozens and dozens of varying settings.  I've accepted I won't get my preferred swing back of a 1:1 ratio but I do hope that HB can at least look at the number of people who have been struggling so mightily with the current Master clubs. I play with Tootall and he has adjusted well, but I think even he would say that the tempo timings could be loosened just a smidge. 

Please note that we aren't talking about taking them down to the Pro/Beginner level but just a little help and some recognition that the swing as it is, is simply a little too difficult.  I've played over 100 rounds and spent many hours on the range.  I can shoot -5 to -10 pretty consistently with pro clubs.  I'm no where near that with masters and it is always the same thing a swing that is either p/p with 90-95% or a s/p with 100% power.  This is the same issue most all other mouse users are having.

Simply put without the tempo then the rest of the game is moot. If we can't find a fair swing to play with to compete with those controllers that have the almost 1:1 ratio and is much easier to find that tempo because of the inherit physical characteristics of the controller stick versus a mouse, why even play? Please do not think we haven't tried, we have over many, many, many hours.  I don't think we are asking much.  We are simply asking a little loosening of the tempo timings for master clubs as has been done before.

Thanks.

Please see the thread below:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,25772.0.html

When it comes to mouse play I am ready to throw this game in a garbage bin.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
I'm sorry, Inflames....I know you hate playing with a controller now.  Maybe Craig can give you some insight to the up coming patch and what it may/may not do to help mouse users?  This coming from the CEO of one of HB's larger societies.

surdoux

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »
When I bought TGC2, I played every day without fail and enjoyed it immensely.  I looked forward to 2019, even to the extent of buying an better graphics card and a new Predator G-sync monitor  in anticipation of the game.  Not played either for over a week and unlikely to either.  I'm just so disappointed in the mouse situation.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
When I bought TGC2, I played every day without fail and enjoyed it immensely.  I looked forward to 2019, even to the extent of buying an better graphics card and a new Predator G-sync monitor  in anticipation of the game.  Not played either for over a week and unlikely to either.  I'm just so disappointed in the mouse situation.

I'm very sorry to hear this. It has been challenging and I'm seeing more and more people who are tossing in the towel at least until the patch, hoping beyond hope that HB will make some adjustments. It would be really sad if they don't because many of the folks I play with will simply stop playing and that is one of the best things about the game is being able to play a round with your friends.

Leadbelly

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
I think babies is a bit harsh, I don't anymore but I played with a mouse for years and know as much as the next guy. And I tried this mouse swing and it is without a doubt the worst I have ever seen. There is little to no chance in its present condition the mouse user will ever compete with the controller players.

surdoux

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
As I have said before, using a controller is not physically possible for me, I am NOT a baby, and don't enjoy being criticised for something out of my control.  I love the game and it has mouse and keyboard control within it, it is NOT exclusively a controller game; if it was, I would not have bought it.  Please be a less condescending and judgemental in future, we aren't all perfect physical specimens.

space-cash