Proximity to the hole - units in yards?

• 6 Replies

CuseHokie

« on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
Is this a mistake and should this be feet?

I find it hard to believe my proximity is 16 yards in a round I shoot well (10 birdies let’s say). That’s a lot of 50 foot putts I’m making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSN:  CuseHokie

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Agreed.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

JoeS_HB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
Thanks guys, this is being investigated.

lazza

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 06:06:14 AM »
Speculating here but I'm guessing this stat is based on your GIR shot (shot 2 for par 4, shot 3 for par 5 etc.)? That would end up being massively skewed by wild shots that don't hit the green or e.g. if you go into a hazard and have to replay.

Let's say you average 5 yards from the pin when making GIR but on the 18th par 4 your drive goes in the water, leaving you 200 yards out after your effective 2nd shot. That would skew the round average proximity to 16 yards from the pin.

For this stat to be useful it should be filtered and recorded only when GIR is made (presumably straightforward to program since GIR % is recorded already). In other words, when there's no disaster getting to the green, you'd get a truly meaningful approximation of how close you typically get to the pin.

CuseHokie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 07:09:00 AM »
Speculating here but I'm guessing this stat is based on your GIR shot (shot 2 for par 4, shot 3 for par 5 etc.)? That would end up being massively skewed by wild shots that don't hit the green or e.g. if you go into a hazard and have to replay.

Let's say you average 5 yards from the pin when making GIR but on the 18th par 4 your drive goes in the water, leaving you 200 yards out after your effective 2nd shot. That would skew the round average proximity to 16 yards from the pin.

For this stat to be useful it should be filtered and recorded only when GIR is made (presumably straightforward to program since GIR % is recorded already). In other words, when there's no disaster getting to the green, you'd get a truly meaningful approximation of how close you typically get to the pin.

Agreed. I still think it’s high because I’ve played some rounds at -12 and to make that many birdies I was well within 30 feet for over half the greens. I’m not sure I’ve seen it less than 16 yards in any round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSN:  CuseHokie

Ffrog

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Proximity to hole is also sorted the wrong way when it is shown after a round - it shows the longest distance as being the best.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »
Devs are tracking that.

space-cash