4 letter word is up.

• 169 Replies

FRSTDWN

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
Excellent scoring Tim.......any tips on reading greens you could pass on would be much appreciated.
When we played gridless no zoom on TW games it was easy to run the marker all over the green to judge breaks, but it's frustratingly slow movement in TGC 2019 makes it painful.

There are four ways.

Guess.

Use the cameras ,the putter head and feel.

Vacuum a little with the marker and use the cameras.

Vacuum a lot and use the cameras less.

I use the cameras , the putter head and feel. I usually can see the break. Not always . I also have it on marker only. I did have it off but they took away the short game free roam camera. I got a video below of me making a putt. That is basically what I do. You can see me trying to find the angle on the putter head. It tells you the slope of the green a lot of the time.

https://xboxclips.com/FRSTDWN/ddb05894-77b4-4bc3-9f4c-95383e642bd6

Vacuuming is when you use the putting matkers info to figure out the break. I don't have the energy for it and it makes the game to mechanical to me. My guess is the guys who are good do a little vacuuming and use the cameras.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

All of the above minus the "vacuuming".

Watch the rollout of the previous shot for clues as well.

Thanks for the tips........I like to play quick so I'll probably start switching to the follow cam on the landing onto the green to get some idea of the roll out.
Would like to get TST ready over the coming weeks so your help is appreciated.
I played on PS4 last year on Sim setting & didn't really have a problem but I was getting my approach shots closer with the DS4.Different game on Xone.

If you ever see me online I would have no problem playing a round with you on the mic ( if I can use it) and tell you what I know while we are playing. I'm not the best TST player by far but I might be able to decrease your learning curve.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Gasman

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Excellent scoring Tim.......any tips on reading greens you could pass on would be much appreciated.
When we played gridless no zoom on TW games it was easy to run the marker all over the green to judge breaks, but it's frustratingly slow movement in TGC 2019 makes it painful.

There are four ways.

Guess.

Use the cameras ,the putter head and feel.

Vacuum a little with the marker and use the cameras.

Vacuum a lot and use the cameras less.

I use the cameras , the putter head and feel. I usually can see the break. Not always . I also have it on marker only. I did have it off but they took away the short game free roam camera. I got a video below of me making a putt. That is basically what I do. You can see me trying to find the angle on the putter head. It tells you the slope of the green a lot of the time.

https://xboxclips.com/FRSTDWN/ddb05894-77b4-4bc3-9f4c-95383e642bd6

Vacuuming is when you use the putting matkers info to figure out the break. I don't have the energy for it and it makes the game to mechanical to me. My guess is the guys who are good do a little vacuuming and use the cameras.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

All of the above minus the "vacuuming".

Watch the rollout of the previous shot for clues as well.

Thanks for the tips........I like to play quick so I'll probably start switching to the follow cam on the landing onto the green to get some idea of the roll out.
Would like to get TST ready over the coming weeks so your help is appreciated.
I played on PS4 last year on Sim setting & didn't really have a problem but I was getting my approach shots closer with the DS4.Different game on Xone.

If you ever see me online I would have no problem playing a round with you on the mic ( if I can use it) and tell you what I know while we are playing. I'm not the best TST player by far but I might be able to decrease your learning curve.

I'll see if I can get a mic off my son in between Fortnite matches........ ;D

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
I've got two rounds under my belt with TST rules in this Society, and I thought I was starting to get the hang of it over holes 7 through 17 in round one.  I was +7 after six holes in that first round, played then next 10 in -1, and then bogeyed the last hole after my second shot bounced off a rock and deep into the trees on the right, leaving me pretty well stymied.  I had hit my third shot back toward to the tee to get back into the heavy rough.

I actually got worse in round 2.  I had two 4-putt greens,  and 5 3-putt greens.  I find that I'm just too lazy and too impatient to do the work necessary to get a proper read on the green break. The two 4-putt greens I had came as a result of my misreading the direction of the break.  In one case I was aimed a foot left of the hole, and it broke left and then caught a tier to a lower section of the green, leaving me a much longer second putt than my first.  I'm really embarrassed at how many sub- three foot putts I've missed in these two rounds, but I can attribute most of those to my impatience in not taking a putting view look by simply hitting the Y button.

I'll finish this tournament out, but it's painful to look up at that scoreboard and seem me something like +17 after two rounds.  Oh, one more odd thing about my round yesterday... I had two eagles (the second and the 18th) and "0" birdies ??? 
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
I am not far behind you and I have played with no aids for long time. The greens are hard to read on TPC Boston. Plus it is not a easy course and the game is new.

TST is not something you just play a couple times and get good at. It takes time.

The on thing I have noticed is the putting does seem harder in this game. I find myself  pulling putts and the greens break differently than TGC 2 because 187 greens in 19 are slower than in TGC 2. So all that time of learning the speed of the greens has to be re learned.

End of the day TST is more for the grinder.  It is not for everyone.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 05:07:10 PM »
I am not far behind you and I have played with no aids for long time. The greens are hard to read on TPC Boston. Plus it is not a easy course and the game is new.

TST is not something you just play a couple times and get good at. It takes time.

The on thing I have noticed is the putting does seem harder in this game. I find myself  pulling putts and the greens break differently than TGC 2 because 187 greens in 19 are slower than in TGC 2. So all that time of learning the speed of the greens has to be re learned.

End of the day TST is more for the grinder.  It is not for everyone.

Bingo.

If you aren’t into a bit of grinding, TST might not be for some folks.

However, it is THE most realistic and challenging way to play.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Gasman

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »
Are there any other no aids societies?

FRSTDWN

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »
TPC Boston kicked my ass. That is my highest score in a long time. Really enjoying no assists on 19. The short game and the putting is where the money is. Which is should be. I have never fisted pumped so much for chips and pitches getting close as I have in this game.

The putting is really good IMOP. I am still learning to read the greens without the free roam camera but I am getting better. The ball seems to break differently as well. But in a good way. I have an issues with pulling short putts though. Has hurt me many times now.  I have never been so scared of 5 footers as I have been in this game.

Next up is Kerry's (lastchance) course .

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Martbloke

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
TPC Boston kicked my ass. That is my highest score in a long time. Really enjoying no assists on 19. The short game and the putting is where the money is. Which is should be. I have never fisted pumped so much for chips and pitches getting close as I have in this game.

The putting is really good IMOP. I am still learning to read the greens without the free roam camera but I am getting better. The ball seems to break differently as well. But in a good way. I have an issues with pulling short putts though. Has hurt me many times now.  I have never been so scared of 5 footers as I have been in this game.

Next up is Kerry's (lastchance) course .

Totally agree with every word!

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
I finished my tournament up this morning at +29, with a +3 in the final round.  I had a 4-putt green from 21 feet, and 4, 3-putts, one of which was from 7 feet.  You guys are right, TST play is a bit of a grinder.  I'm finding that I'm both too impatient and too lazy to put forth the extra effort it takes to play it.

I do see what those of you who enjoy TST rules play get out of it, as when you have a good hole, or hit a great shot, it's more gratifying.  OTOH, when you consistently misdiagnose not the break in a putt, but the direction of the break because you haven't done enough work and cross checking, it gets frustrating.  It's not the game's fault because the tools are there to at least get the direction right, but I'm just too impatient to use them.

Oh, it doesn't help when you average a phantom stroke per round because you don't actually have the putting camera view engaged as you think you do, and you go left with the stick to rotate the camera view toward a reverse angle view, only to execute a putting stroke that's so off axis that it goes through the ball and doesn't move it, yet you get assessed a "stroke" for it  :-[
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »
So we are probably going to start this with East Lake and go with a 15 week season with 3 majors. I am debating to go with 2 round or 3 round events then 3 round or 4 round majors. I have had some guys say they would rather have less rounds and they would play more.

If anyone who plays in this society has an opinion let me know.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Martbloke

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
So we are probably going to start this with East Lake and go with a 15 week season with 3 majors. I am debating to go with 2 round or 3 round events then 3 round or 4 round majors. I have had some guys say they would rather have less rounds and they would play more.

Sounds good. 2/3 rounds doesn't rrally bother me tbh so I'd be happy to follow the masses.

Can you arrange 3 majors in 15 events? I thought it's 10 events to every major or is that different for an online society?

FRSTDWN

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:55 AM »

Sounds good. 2/3 rounds doesn't rrally bother me tbh so I'd be happy to follow the masses.

Can you arrange 3 majors in 15 events? I thought it's 10 events to every major or is that different for an online society?

Trying to keep it short so people stay interested. It is not in stone. The problem I have had with this society is it starts off pretty good then people start disappearing. guessing because of they already play TST which is 4 rounds then they are in other societies. I will figure something out.

Thanks for the feedback.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
The season will start this week.

We will run 15 weeks seasons with 3 majors. Regular events 3 rounds Majors 4. I am trying to have the best TST courses possible. A lot of RCRs with some great non RCR thrown in there. The payouts will be good. It is open to the public and we have 24 members so far.

Everyone is welcome.

Swing fast and take chances!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP