4 letter word is up.

• 138 Replies

Martbloke

« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Go to your putter. Press y and then you can see above yourself like a mini drone. I use it when I can't see where I'm going . I have the flag icon turned off as well so I need to take a look here and there. But yeah the overhead camera sucks. 

I totally blew up in my 2nd round. Has to be one of my worst to date. An 11 then a 7 on a par 3. I still like the game but what's gets me into trouble now is still trying to get extra yards out of my approach shots. Which is pointless because it's not worth the risk since the patch.  I need to be a good little golfer and swing straight and get perfect perfect every time! Fun fun!

That's a great tip!  Not sure why I didn't think of that because I do exactly the opposite of that to get a rid on the greens when chipping from off the green.  I switch to my putter, hit Y and then drop down low. 

On the topic of trying to get that extra distance... I don't even bother with it.  It's just not worth it.  I think the RIGHT thing for HBS to do in the next game is allow for the swing to go beyond 100%.  Once If that happens we'll see some serious distance dispersion AND we'll have the ability get some extra distance (hopefully coupled with a more severe penalty for not getting tempo and swing plane exactly right).  That one little change right there would transform the game I think. 

I feel like the loft box changes were transformative but if they ever implement a swing that's capable of more than 100% then it would be HUGE!

I too would vote for that type of overswing meter as that would then bring more skill into it. Go over 100% and your tempo bands shrink depending on how much over you go which is where the risk comes in! 👍😀

mebby

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »
Go to your putter. Press y and then you can see above yourself like a mini drone. I use it when I can't see where I'm going . I have the flag icon turned off as well so I need to take a look here and there. But yeah the overhead camera sucks. 

I totally blew up in my 2nd round. Has to be one of my worst to date. An 11 then a 7 on a par 3. I still like the game but what's gets me into trouble now is still trying to get extra yards out of my approach shots. Which is pointless because it's not worth the risk since the patch.  I need to be a good little golfer and swing straight and get perfect perfect every time! Fun fun!

That's a great tip!  Not sure why I didn't think of that because I do exactly the opposite of that to get a rid on the greens when chipping from off the green.  I switch to my putter, hit Y and then drop down low. 

On the topic of trying to get that extra distance... I don't even bother with it.  It's just not worth it.  I think the RIGHT thing for HBS to do in the next game is allow for the swing to go beyond 100%.  Once If that happens we'll see some serious distance dispersion AND we'll have the ability get some extra distance (hopefully coupled with a more severe penalty for not getting tempo and swing plane exactly right).  That one little change right there would transform the game I think. 

I feel like the loft box changes were transformative but if they ever implement a swing that's capable of more than 100% then it would be HUGE!

I too would vote for that type of overswing meter as that would then bring more skill into it. Go over 100% and your tempo bands shrink depending on how much over you go which is where the risk comes in! 👍😀

I think if they implemented this PLUS variable tempo bands (so that they work the way the swing plane band does today) that they could have some of the die-hards begging for mercy!!  I think they've HAVE to implement difficulty levels at that point.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:04 AM »
Five 3-putt bogeys, and three birdie putt misses from inside of 6 feet in round 2... folks, those are all the earmarks of a lazy, impatient golfer trying to play gridless greens.  I actually played better golf, tee to green in round 2 than I did round 1, but scored 7 strokes better in round 1... strange game, this! ??? ???
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Pepto Bismol

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
(I'm MagicShooz, by the way)

Just read through the last few pages on putting. Good stuff, guys. I never knew about the quick flip camera reading greens, and now I'm afraid to start using it and screw up my program, lol.

I always pan around. I drop the camera down and take a look, then loft it up and around and down to a direct side view, then continue all the way around to the back for a reverse look. And usually back out and back down to the front view again.

It does take a minute, but I like to see the side view as well. Even though the game tells me whether it's uphill/downhill, I like to see where and how steep. That helps me judge how hard it'll take the break and when.  I can be more aggressive with a 25-foot, 1ft-downhill putt if the entire drop is in the first 5 feet before it flattens out at the cup. Conversely, if that drop is at the hole, I've gotta really baby a lag up there to make sure I don't race a miss off the front of the green. Just my two cents. I'm closer to a noob than a pro, so take it with a grain of salt. In my opinion, taking a wide pan around can sometimes reveal the general layout of the green and help you understand that the whole green is running toward the water and there's probably a little more L to R in it than I'm seeing, or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, in local rounds I'm much less patient and I'll ballpark it. But in Society rounds, I'll take my time and grind out those reads.

Really enjoy this society, FRSTDWN. Like others have said, No Assists is the only way I play the game now.

(***Edit: Holy moly, that's nice. Can't believe I lived without that L3 flip-around cam.***)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:08:49 PM by Pepto Bismol »

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Nice post MagicShooz, and all good advice!  There are times when I take my time and do what I need to do to get the best read possible, and I do play better when I do.  In yesterday's round of 76, there were at least 4 putts where I missed the putt because I didn't just misread the slope; I misread the direction of the slope.  I was uncertain when I hit each putt because I simply didn't take enough time to gather all the data I could have gathered.

In times where I'm unsure of which direction the break actually is, I should take the look from a 90 degree angle from both sides.  I could probably tell better by seeing how much of the lip I could see from either side, which way the slope was running... at least at the hole.

I really do enjoy this Society, as it presents a different type of challenge and just has a different feel.  It hasn't broken me from wanting to play no assists exclusively going forward though.  I play regularly in two other Societies that are all assists on and I enjoy them just as much as ever.  I do appreciate having these two different game modes at my disposal and savor the difference between them now.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
There are two things that can easily fool me if I let them.

1 - The angle of the putter.   If there really is no break near my ball then I sometimes read a break because of the putter angle.  Using the reverse angle solves this for me as it lets me see the break near my putter from a wider view.

2 - Shadows in the cup.  This can sometimes give the allusion of break near the cup.  The reverse angle can help here but not always. 

If I ever get lost based on these two issues I assume there is no break. 

At the end of the day - sometimes I'm guessing but that happens in real life golf.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
I really wish I could play with no assists but I just don’t have the patience or eyesight (depth perception problem) to do so.   :-\

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
I really wish I could play with no assists but I just don’t have the patience or eyesight (depth perception problem) to do so.   :-\

Lack of nominal depth perception would be a detriment to one's ability to play without grids.  To your first point though, patience is just as critical a factor.  I started out the third round with a couple of 3-putt bogeys, each where the putt for par was less than 4 feet.  I dropped down to ground level behind the golfer long enough to at least see the direction of the break, but didn't run an elevation scan to gauge the magnitude of it.  I underestimated it in both cases, missing the almost gimmie putts on the low side of the hole.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »
I get impatient with no grids when I am playing poorly. Like real golf it compounds itself.  You are playing bad tee to green and then do not take your time to get a read and 3 jack it. I putt my best when I am in the zone. Hard to describe but I see everything clearly. Like the matrix or something. It comes and goes and not really sure why. That is golf though.

I am telling you though if you play turn based you will play better. It slows you down you get reads from your opponent just like you would IRL. Not only on the greens but on drives and approach shots.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
I get impatient with no grids when I am playing poorly. Like real golf it compounds itself.  You are playing bad tee to green and then do not take your time to get a read and 3 jack it. I putt my best when I am in the zone. Hard to describe but I see everything clearly. Like the matrix or something. It comes and goes and not really sure why. That is golf though.

There's a lot to what you're saying here that rings true in my experience.  It's what keeps the gameplay of TGC 2019 fresh, IMO.

I am telling you though if you play turn based you will play better. It slows you down you get reads from your opponent just like you would IRL. Not only on the greens but on drives and approach shots.

All the above is true, provided you're talking about turn-based enabled ghost players for Society tournament play?  I'll play with a ghost player turn base enabled for the final round, occasionally.  I always play with ghost balls of three other players in Society tournament rounds.  Even though their shots are going off simultaneously on a lot of occasions, I can still get slope information from watching their shots roll out on the green.

I played a guy in online matchmaking last night who much have thought he was playing in the final round of the U.S. Open... he stood over every shot for at least a minute, especially putts.  I tried to offset the slow pace of play by speeding up my play, where I bet I never took more than 10 seconds to play my shot.  We wound up tied, but I'm sure I would have beaten him had I taken just a wee bit more time with some of the putts.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
I was on fire in my second round.  3 under after 5 holes (and I lipped out two birdie putts and settled for par).  And then I fell apart in hole 14.

Hopefully I can come back strong in rounds 3 and 4.  I like this course!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

mebby

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Had a ton of fun in this week's event.  I got into a nice little groove in my last two rounds despite several beers and some kids running around!  LOL!

Looks like the upcoming schedule is going to be pretty difficult!  Looking forward to the challenge.

Those top 3-5 plays in this society are really impressive!!  Those guys are shooting 8-10 under every round.  I can only do that once in every 10 or so rounds so!  Mad respect!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

FRSTDWN

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
Glad you are enjoying it. That last course was really good I thought. Yeah it is going to get very tough.  It will be the best RCRs in the game leading up to the US Open. I will probably make some changes though. I am trying to decided between Olympia and Oakmont being the US Open. I love Olympia but Oakmont is a monster. THen if Royce publishes Oakland Hills that will screw me up even more. We will see I got plenty of time.

Yeah some of these guys are amazing. I can shoot low but I always blow up and that keeps me from being consistent. Take to many risks. But I have fun.

I have played horrible lately in 4LW but better in TST. Not sure why. Might be that I play 4LW first then TST.  I did figure somethings out yesterday when I was playing. I was taking to long of a backswing on my irons and with putting I was going to fast.  I shorten my back swing and took more time with the reads and played much better in my TST round.

This weeks course is tough around the greens. It starts off firm but I think I softened it up over the 4 rounds. I need to takes notes when I set these up. Hard to remember every setting you make with 4 rounds.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »
Playing in this no assist society has had a strange effect on me.  It's the only time I'll tackle gridless greens, but I've done it for like five weeks in a row now.  I used to only dabble with an occasional gridless green round, but would get frustrated with it mostly because I'm simply too impatient to do the work necessary to get the best read of the slope.

After figuring how how to use the reverse angle toggle with a click of the non swing stick (thanks to help of several of you here!), I find that I can come a little bit closer to getting a higher quality read with not a whole lot of extra manipulating and time required.  My Four Letter Word tournament rounds have a special place in my TGC 2019 gaming life and I look forward to them for their uniqueness and their ability to humble me to point of a near rage quit, from time to time.

Ironically, as much as I look forward to and enjoy my no assist rounds in the Society, I don't seek out no assist play anywhere else, or in any other mode.  I can't explain why, but four rounds a week of no assist play is all that I want.  I have nine birdies through two rounds of the current tournament, yet I'm still 8 over par through 36 holes.  I make an inordinate number of 4 putt double bogeys, most of which I can attribute to careless reads made though impatience.  If I can get those out of my game, I could see myself reducing my scoring average to around par in no assist play.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Martbloke

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2019, 04:01:42 AM »
Playing in this no assist society has had a strange effect on me.  It's the only time I'll tackle gridless greens, but I've done it for like five weeks in a row now.  I used to only dabble with an occasional gridless green round, but would get frustrated with it mostly because I'm simply too impatient to do the work necessary to get the best read of the slope.

After figuring how how to use the reverse angle toggle with a click of the non swing stick (thanks to help of several of you here!), I find that I can come a little bit closer to getting a higher quality read with not a whole lot of extra manipulating and time required.  My Four Letter Word tournament rounds have a special place in my TGC 2019 gaming life and I look forward to them for their uniqueness and their ability to humble me to point of a near rage quit, from time to time.

Ironically, as much as I look forward to and enjoy my no assist rounds in the Society, I don't seek out no assist play anywhere else, or in any other mode.  I can't explain why, but four rounds a week of no assist play is all that I want.  I have nine birdies through two rounds of the current tournament, yet I'm still 8 over par through 36 holes.  I make an inordinate number of 4 putt double bogeys, most of which I can attribute to careless reads made though impatience.  If I can get those out of my game, I could see myself reducing my scoring average to around par in no assist play.

It's such a great way to play IMO and they only way. When you get better at the putting, I think you'll catch the bug more 😉

space-cash