4K setups and discussion thread

• 358 Replies

philby85

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »
Also a good point is that the more effects your TV has enabled the more lag there will be. So essentially game mode on TV's are a setting where pretty much all the post processing your tv does is switched off. So if your tv lacks a game mode turn on off those extra filters etc.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
I wonder if HB will ever implement HDR?

I'll be curious to see if they go that route as well.  I don't know how difficult that would be to implement, but I do know that we currently have a wide array of lighting conditions.  Most times it looks natural, other times not.  I think the lighting is better, overall, compared to TGC 2, twerking tree shadows not withstanding, however  :D
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Gasman

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
If I make comparisons between TGC 2 @ 1080 & 2019 @ 2160 the visuals do get a significant bump.
I have an edge lit 55" panel set to game mode & generally play within about 4-5 feet of the screen,at this distance 90% of 4K games look amazing but playing TGC 2019 I have to double that viewing distance for the game to look it's best.In shadow the courses loose depth & start to look like previous versions of the game.The trees work for me,the CAG looks ok,the biggest downfall is grass/ground texture transitions & those high rise buildings.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:27 AM »
If I make comparisons between TGC 2 @ 1080 & 2019 @ 2160 the visuals do get a significant bump.
I have an edge lit 55" panel set to game mode & generally play within about 4-5 feet of the screen,at this distance 90% of 4K games look amazing but playing TGC 2019 I have to double that viewing distance for the game to look it's best.In shadow the courses loose depth & start to look like previous versions of the game.The trees work for me,the CAG looks ok,the biggest downfall is grass/ground texture transitions & those high rise buildings.

I sit 7 feet from my full-array backlit local dimming TCL Series 6 55" 4K display, and there's no doubt TGC 2019 looks significantly better in 2160p than  1080p.  Many of the trees in the stock XBox One version look barren when compared to the XBox One X enhanced version trees.  I've got my original XBox One and X now on the same display.  I'm going to make an A/B comparison video and put it up on my YouTube channel in a day or two.  Of course, you'll have to have a 4K display and an XBox One S (the S can show YouTube 4K videos, can't it?), minimum to be able to rully appreciate it.

You're right about the grass texture transitions; if HBS could figure out a way to blend that a little more naturally, it would pay HUGE dividends for this game!
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Don't forget to check your "Game" mode on your 4K display before each TGC 2019 play session.  I played a couple of rounds today and was just getting infuriated over the fact that I was getting consistent slow/slow, or slow/perfect tempos.  I was missing fairways and greens going and coming.  It seemed no matter how fast I pulled the thumbstick, the animation wouldn't start and then when it did, it felt "laggy".

I finally went in and checked my TV's display mode setting for this HDMI input, and it was set to "Normal", where I usually have it in "Game". I forgot I had changed it to that setting for last night's game between Philadelphia and Atlante in the NFL season opener, and forgot to change it back. That 17 to 18 ms response time of my TCL Series 's "Game" mode setting makes a HUGE difference in the feel of the game.  The gameplay felt so much better and viscerally satisfying after going back to "Game" mode  8)
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »
I don't see any of the white edges. I will look closer though.

You may not be seeing them on an OLED. 

There are still some settings I have not messed with. I have to Google them because I don't know what they do lol. On the Xbox I have everything on minus DOF.

Try using TAA instead of FXAA and see if you don't appreciate the difference.  I don't like the bloom effects, so I turned them off.

I was playing the other day and started looking really close and I did see some whit edges on the grass. I went in and turned it about half way and it went away. From half to full I do notice some things are less sharp like my avatar's hair and leaves but I will admit now that I looked closer it does seem to cause white edges.

I think I finally have this TV to where I want it.  Certainly one of the best electronic purchases I have ever made minus the X of course.

I gotta play 19 on the TCL. I will this weekend to compare.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

hoosier404

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »
Ok so I am convinced and excited now to get the Xbox one X and a 4k TV in the next few months. I get a really good discount like 20-30% off Samsung TV's and am looking at two Q8FN and the NU8000.  Both are 55' TV's.  I was pretty settled on the NU8000 as its close in performance and half the price to the Q8FN, but than I read the following RTINGS.com "Colors in HDR will be fairly accurate, although the TV has difficulty displaying deep greens." This cannot be good for a golf game and or watching golf right or am I reading too much into this.  Also the local dimming rating is 1.8 vs 7.0 on the more expensive Q8FN.  Just looking for advice if the local dimming is a big deal and if the deep green comment is as bad as I think it is.  Even better anyone have either of these TV's and playing TGC2019 to tell me how it looks. Thanks.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
My Denon receiver just prompted me to update with a low latency option . Very cool.

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
My Denon receiver just prompted me to update with a low latency option . Very cool.

I should be seeing the same one....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

FRSTDWN

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
You should Tim. I updated it but I couldn't find the option for it. Unless it's automatic.

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
Ok so I am convinced and excited now to get the Xbox one X and a 4k TV in the next few months. I get a really good discount like 20-30% off Samsung TV's and am looking at two Q8FN and the NU8000.  Both are 55' TV's.  I was pretty settled on the NU8000 as its close in performance and half the price to the Q8FN, but than I read the following RTINGS.com "Colors in HDR will be fairly accurate, although the TV has difficulty displaying deep greens." This cannot be good for a golf game and or watching golf right or am I reading too much into this.  Also the local dimming rating is 1.8 vs 7.0 on the more expensive Q8FN.  Just looking for advice if the local dimming is a big deal and if the deep green comment is as bad as I think it is.  Even better anyone have either of these TV's and playing TGC2019 to tell me how it looks. Thanks.

Hoosier, I haven't seen either of the sets mentioned, so I can't comment on them first hand.  I can say that local dimming certainly makes a noticeable difference in my TCL Series 6 HDTV.  It's got 96 local dimming zones and when I set local dimming to the max in the Advanced Settings menu on it, I see an improvement in the uniformity and 'crispness' of the images in TGC 2019, even going from medium to high local dimming. 

I wish I could comment on the deep green factor, but I simply have no first hand exposure or experience with it.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DaveLzi7

• Just shot a 59, now it's off to the back 9
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 12:02:05 AM »
SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) what does it do and do you guys set it to on or off? After reading some of the comments in this thread, I will be setting anti aliasing to TAA. BTW, I have an Xbox One X connected to a 65" Samsung QLED 4K and the game looks drop dead gorgeous. I find myself just wondering the courses just to look at the scenery.

leslie.sangster

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
What’s the difference between the two anti alias methods is one better than the other or less costly on frame rates. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) what does it do and do you guys set it to on or off? After reading some of the comments in this thread, I will be setting anti aliasing to TAA. BTW, I have an Xbox One X connected to a 65" Samsung QLED 4K and the game looks drop dead gorgeous. I find myself just wondering the courses just to look at the scenery.

Here are the reported advantages of SSAO over other types of ambient occlusion from Wikipedia:

Independent from scene complexity.
No data pre-processing needed, no loading time and no memory allocations in system memory.
Works with dynamic scenes.
Works in the same consistent way for every pixel on the screen.
No CPU usage – it can be executed completely on the GPU.
May be easily integrated into any modern graphics pipeline.

I find that TAA has a softer, more organic look than FXAA, and I can't detect a performance difference between them.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »
What’s the difference between the two anti alias methods is one better than the other or less costly on frame rates. 

Technically, I can't tell you the difference between the two AA methods, but to me TAA has a softer, more organic looking appearance.  I can't perceive a difference in performance between the two, although I'm sure if you had the right lab equipment you could show a measureable difference.  On paper, FXAA is supposed to be a bit more efficient.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash