4K setups and discussion thread

• 358 Replies

FRSTDWN

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Anyone debating cutting the cord and going with Hulu do it. It's pretty awesome. Wife and kids love it to. Has a lot of content. If I was in the cable business I'd be nervous. It's a dinosaur.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
OMG. That sucks JC. They better do more than a replacement me should give you a gift card of a 100 bucks or something.

The replacement is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday afternoon.  My wife says this will be a good opportunity to paint the living room before we put the other one back up  :-\

This set was no doubt damaged before it got packaged at the factory.  Seriously, there wasn't a blemish on the box anywhere, let along in the area where the screen is cracked... well not just cracked, there's a depression in it where it looks like it got prodded with a broom handle ???

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2018, 08:37:30 PM »
Since purchasing my XB1X on Friday I've spent way more time than I could've imagined fine tuning my TV to get the display that looks best to me.  My TV (Sony xbr-75x850f) has a dizzying array of settings - many of which I don't fully understand.  But I think I'm mostly settled in with all the setting tweaks.  The sometimes iffy lighting in TGC 2019 makes it difficult to tune so I used NBA 2K19 for most of my tuning.

I'm actually surprised how good this game looks on the XB1X compared to my PC.  My PC on full 4K is still better but the 1X holds it's own that's for sure.

Oddly enough the XB1X tells me that my TV doesn't support HR10 even though it does.  I've tried just about every setting imaginable (including lots and lots of Googling) to no avail.  But whatever - I'm pretty sure I'm getting full HDR whether it tells me I am or not.

On a side note - whoever did the Kiawah Ocean Course... WOW!!!  Blown away!  I played it about 4 times today.  It's brutally difficult just like it is in real life (I've played it twice and it kicked my arse both times).

Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2018, 01:34:37 AM »
Since purchasing my XB1X on Friday I've spent way more time than I could've imagined fine tuning my TV to get the display that looks best to me.  My TV (Sony xbr-75x850f) has a dizzying array of settings - many of which I don't fully understand.  But I think I'm mostly settled in with all the setting tweaks.  The sometimes iffy lighting in TGC 2019 makes it difficult to tune so I used NBA 2K19 for most of my tuning.

I started with tweaking my TV's settings for an optimal looking image at TPC Southwind.  I found that I can pretty much get the look I want from there simply by using the TCL Series 6's five brightness values around that.  Like if I go to TPC Sawgrass under default course conditions, I find that I usually have to bump the brightness up from "Normal" to "Bright".  It's a quick, easy adjustment to make.  There are some courses that I have to go with the "Dark" setting, but I've never had to go "Very Dark" or "Very Bright" to get the look I'm after.

Oddly enough the XB1X tells me that my TV doesn't support HR10 even though it does.  I've tried just about every setting imaginable (including lots and lots of Googling) to no avail.  But whatever - I'm pretty sure I'm getting full HDR whether it tells me I am or not.

I'm not sure how that is determined... I know with my TCL Series 6 it reports that it supports HDR10.  If you want to see what your set looks like in full 4K glory with HDR in effect, download the demo of Forza 7.  I have the full game and it is breathtaking!

On a side note - whoever did the Kiawah Ocean Course... WOW!!!  Blown away!  I played it about 4 times today.  It's brutally difficult just like it is in real life (I've played it twice and it kicked my arse both times).

Yep, nice course and it has kicked me to the curb the three times I've played it. 
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »

I started with tweaking my TV's settings for an optimal looking image at TPC Southwind.  I found that I can pretty much get the look I want from there simply by using the TCL Series 6's five brightness values around that.  Like if I go to TPC Sawgrass under default course conditions, I find that I usually have to bump the brightness up from "Normal" to "Bright".  It's a quick, easy adjustment to make.  There are some courses that I have to go with the "Dark" setting, but I've never had to go "Very Dark" or "Very Bright" to get the look I'm after.

I'm not sure how that is determined... I know with my TCL Series 6 it reports that it supports HDR10.  If you want to see what your set looks like in full 4K glory with HDR in effect, download the demo of Forza 7.  I have the full game and it is breathtaking!

Yep, nice course and it has kicked me to the curb the three times I've played it.

So what's the difference between Forza Horizon 4 and Forza 7 exactly?  I'm using my trial of the Xbox All Access and I downloaded Horizon 4 but haven't played more than 5 minutes of it.

I think I currently have my contrast a hair too high.  When I play Deere Run the sand traps are WAY too white so I'll back off of that a bit.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
So what's the difference between Forza Horizon 4 and Forza 7 exactly?  I'm using my trial of the Xbox All Access and I downloaded Horizon 4 but haven't played more than 5 minutes of it.

Forza Horizon 4 is mostly an arcade driving/racing game.  It looks great, but the car handling is to floaty and overassisted, IMO.  Forza 7 has the best driving model of the Forza series, IMO.  You can feel the forces working on the car, even with a controller.  I also love the driveatars, which are modeled after other drivers on your friends list.  They are actually a lot of fun to race against and show an incredible amount of AI.

I think I currently have my contrast a hair too high.  When I play Deere Run the sand traps are WAY too white so I'll back off of that a bit.

From what I gather, a lot of people have the contrast up too high on their HDTVs... yeah, it gives them some pop, but it looks a bit scorched.  People also tend to run the sharpness too high, and it makes the images look too rectilinear to me.
[/quote]
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
Good news... I received my replacement TCL 65" Series 6 4K UHD display today and it is perfect!  Only got to spend 30 minutes with it after getting it mounted and hooked up before leaving for work, but everything was working fine.  I didn't get a chance fire up TGC 2019 but I'll give it a go tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:11:34 PM by jcauthen04 »
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
Good news... I received my replacement TCL 65" Series 6 4K UHD display today an it is perfect!  Only got to spend 30 minutes with it after getting it mounted and hooked up before leaving for work, but everything was working fine.  I didn't get a chance fire up TGC 2019 but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Whew.  That's good news!  Knowing my luck the second one would've been damaged as well!

I turned down my contrast a few notches and increased the brightness a hair and I think I'm now happy with the configuration!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
Whew.  That's good news!  Knowing my luck the second one would've been damaged as well!

Yeah, I was keeping my fingers crossed.  I checked it out thoroughly for signs of any sort of damgage before mounting it and it's in pristine condition.

I turned down my contrast a few notches and increased the brightness a hair and I think I'm now happy with the configuration!

I started out with the same brightness, backlight, and contrast settings as my rec room TCL Series 6 and it wasn't bright enough, but I suspected they wouldn't be as the living room is a good bit brighter than the rec room.  I'm up to 66 backlight, 49 brightness, and 84 contrast.  In the rec room I'm at 62, 48, and 82, respectively.

I'll get to spend some more time with it today though and I imagine those will change.  I was trying to give the set time to scan the "air" and "cable" TV channels yesterday, but it was taking quite a while with the cable channels, even though I currently only use basic cable, so I skipped it and will let that finish the process today.

I did give TGC 2019 a whirl this morning when I got home from work.  I was using the controller that came with the new XBox One X.  I found that I'm actually better able track the swing path with it, as its stick seems to be less sensitive than the Elite controller I use with my rec room setup.  OTOH, I also found that I was having more trouble getting the tempo.  I got a lot of "perfect/slow" tempo results.  I'll have to work with this a bit if I'm going to spend any significant time playing TGC 2019 in the living room.  I have a feeling it's going to be spending more time streaming Hallmark, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HGTV than anything else though ;)
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

mebby

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »

Yeah, I was keeping my fingers crossed.  I checked it out thoroughly for signs of any sort of damgage before mounting it and it's in pristine condition.

I started out with the same brightness, backlight, and contrast settings as my rec room TCL Series 6 and it wasn't bright enough, but I suspected they wouldn't be as the living room is a good bit brighter than the rec room.  I'm up to 66 backlight, 49 brightness, and 84 contrast.  In the rec room I'm at 62, 48, and 82, respectively.

I'll get to spend some more time with it today though and I imagine those will change.  I was trying to give the set time to scan the "air" and "cable" TV channels yesterday, but it was taking quite a while with the cable channels, even though I currently only use basic cable, so I skipped it and will let that finish the process today.

I did give TGC 2019 a whirl this morning when I got home from work.  I was using the controller that came with the new XBox One X.  I found that I'm actually better able track the swing path with it, as its stick seems to be less sensitive than the Elite controller I use with my rec room setup.  OTOH, I also found that I was having more trouble getting the tempo.  I got a lot of "perfect/slow" tempo results.  I'll have to work with this a bit if I'm going to spend any significant time playing TGC 2019 in the living room.  I have a feeling it's going to be spending more time streaming Hallmark, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HGTV than anything else though ;)

I can't tell you how glad I am that Christmas is past us now.  If I see one more Hallmark Christmas movie in our DVR list I think I might lose it!  LOL!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

FRSTDWN

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
So can definitely say having my receiver in Atmos makes the surround sound better even if the media doesn't support it. 

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
So can definitely say having my receiver in Atmos makes the surround sound better even if the media doesn't support it.

Interesting.

I think I'm about to put a Sonos surround setup in place.  It doesn't support Atmos but hardly anything does at this point.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »

This reminds me of the time that I built one of my PC's and had to return the motherboard (after installing it with all of the components) not one time, not two times, but three times.  >:(

After the third time I noticed that the pile of motherboard boxes it came from had a small dent in the side of the box.  My lightening fast mind figured out that I should make sure I got a box with no dents in it.  ;) :D

-MERACE

FRSTDWN

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »

Interesting.

I think I'm about to put a Sonos surround setup in place.  It doesn't support Atmos but hardly anything does at this point.

Yeah it's odd. It shouldn't. Sonos is wireless right? I looked at it but made me nervous with drawing on the broadband. Certainly nice though if you don't want to deal with wires being pulled through the walls.

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »

Interesting.

Yeah it's odd. It shouldn't. Sonos is wireless right? I looked at it but made me nervous with drawing on the broadband. Certainly nice though if you don't want to deal with wires being pulled through the walls.

Yes - Sonos is wireless.  I'm already a big user (and huge fan) of Sonos so this is more about expanding into that ecosystem a bit more for me.

I'll admit it's an odd choice considering that I already have wires run for rear speakers and I have an outstanding pair of front left/right speakers (Vienna Acoustics Mozarts) and an REL sub.  All I need is a decent center channel and some decent rears and I'd be good to go.  I had all of that setup in my old house but the buyer wanted me to leave everything (I gave them the center and the rears but wasn't giving up my Vienna Acoustics or my REL).
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

space-cash