4K setups and discussion thread

• 287 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
Played the most PUBG I have in a while and the SSD held up like a champ. Best I have seen the game run.  Had a lot of fun playing for once which is nice. PUBG gets a lot of flack but the one thing it's got is really solid gun physics and learning curve is steep.  Unlike most FPS shooters the no aim assist and actual recoil with bullet drop makes the game very immersive. Especially if you are playing well or if like my last round you panic and get shot in the face.

Anyway minus the weird sound drops I'd give it a 9/10 . 10 /10 for PUBG .

I feel totally inept when playing PUBG.  I'd have to atttend a 3 credit hour college course on it to learn to play it well enough to survive 5 minutes in the game.   Glad to read that the SSD drive is helping out with its performance though!

I thought PUBG was tough, but this last weekend my son talked me into  downloading and trying Apex Legends... LOL... I can't even get past the freaking training exercises, let alone be anything but a liability in an online team match! :-[ :D
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
Yeah it is full on or nothing. The controls alone will take time to learn. Then under pressure it is hard to press the right ones until you get some muscle memory and even then you will hit the wrong buttons or forget to reload. It is intense because you do  not respawn so everything matters. There is nothing better than tracking a person and taking them down. On the flop side there is a lot of enjoyment when someone thinks they have the upper hand and you turn it around with a nice headshot or a shotgun blast.  The main reason I like the game is because a kill means something. Unlike most other FPS games.

I am hoping someone can come out with a better game graphically and FPS wise though. It is lacking in both.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

leslie.sangster

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
I’m enjoying Apex Legends it’s pretty good for free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »

I like the looks of it, but I'm going to have to methodically go through all the training to have a prayer at lasting more than three minutes in game.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »

I like the looks of it, but I'm going to have to methodically go through all the training to have a prayer at lasting more than three minutes in game.
Agreed I spent my first few games getting revived every couple of minutes. Took me a good few games before I got my first kill but I still don’t know what all the buttons do.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »
Not my kind of game but it is getting some serious attention. 25 million accounts in very little time.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
Not my kind of game but it is getting some serious attention. 25 million accounts in very little time.

Maybe HB Studios is following Respawn'a lead on this stealth release of Apex Legends for their release of The Golf Club 2020, or 21?  ;)  I can't recall seeing anything like it... at least not for a blockbuster game of this scale...
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
I know my son and I were talking about that. Crazy how it just came out. Too bad EA is involved though. Maybe that is why?

I have brought up a BR golf mode to HB before. Say 20 people start on a hole and it goes to last man standing. Could be fun.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

leslie.sangster

« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »
Has anyone noticed if TGC2019 feels to be running smoother on Xbox after the Xbox update which is supposed to have some affect on the 4K display.
https://twistedvoxel.com/new-xbox-one-system-software-improves-4k-performance/

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:53:47 PM by leslie.sangster »

FRSTDWN

« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
That's interesting . I will check it out in a little bit. I'm guessing we can't tell the difference.

Pakalolo AKA Will has joined La Cosa Nostra 4K family. Got the X and a LG.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
Played two rounds one 4LW where I got a hole in 1! Then a private match with Royce. Did seem smooth but could plecebo affect.

Back to that SSD. I have now noticed that when I play private matches I load up and get almost the full bar very quickly then it stops  and waits for my opponent to catch up.

Have had no more sound drops.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

leslie.sangster

« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2019, 04:57:09 AM »
Played two rounds one 4LW where I got a hole in 1! Then a private match with Royce. Did seem smooth but could plecebo affect.

Back to that SSD. I have now noticed that when I play private matches I load up and get almost the full bar very quickly then it stops  and waits for my opponent to catch up.

I was just noticing how the game used to pause for a quarter of a second or so sometimes when it was just missing the hole as if the game was checking to see if it had gone in the hole, it still does it but not for as long and also lately I’ve been noticing the green grid fading out just after you hit your putt and there was still a ghost image there for a few milliseconds but now it’s just looks to disappear without leaving a ghost grid, not something you would notice as you play with no grid. Yeah it could be just a placebo that’s the first thing I thought but that little pause as the ball passes close to the hole was noticeable.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
Has anyone noticed if TGC2019 feels to be running smoother on Xbox after the Xbox update which is supposed to have some affect on the 4K display.

Thanks for this note.  I wasn't able to play much yesterday, but I didn't get any notification that I recall about it.  I've got my system set up to auto update though, so I guess it could have happened and I didn't realize it.

The game did play smoothly for me yesterday, with one exception.  I left a shot short on a par three with water in front of the green, after recognizing a momentary 'hitch' in the start of the backswing animation.  I take responsibility for going through with the swing because I've seen the symptom often enough to know I should stop the swing, re-address the ball, and start again.  That phenomenon has nothing to do with 4K performance though because I've seen it happen when I play the game on a 1080p display.

I guess this update should be noted in my system notes somewhere on my XBox One Xs.  I'll check it and and confirm it. 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:16 AM »

I've noticed that bit about the progress bar during loading of the game for private and online matchmaking.  With my stock, internal drive, it might take like 8 to 10 seconds to get to 90%, but then it'll take up to 30 to 40 seconds for that final 10%.  I bet you get your first 90% in 4 or 5 seconds with that SSD drive?

Overall, has the SSD drive exceeded or fallen short of your performance expectations?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »

Thanks for this note.  I wasn't able to play much yesterday, but I didn't get any notification that I recall about it.  I've got my system set up to auto update though, so I guess it could have happened and I didn't realize it.

The game did play smoothly for me yesterday, with one exception.  I left a shot short on a par three with water in front of the green, after recognizing a momentary 'hitch' in the start of the backswing animation.  I take responsibility for going through with the swing because I've seen the symptom often enough to know I should stop the swing, re-address the ball, and start again.  That phenomenon has nothing to do with 4K performance though because I've seen it happen when I play the game on a 1080p display.

I guess this update should be noted in my system notes somewhere on my XBox One Xs.  I'll check it and and confirm it.
Mine is set to auto update as well if you go into system you can see the version of the software. It should also tell you it updated on the 12th Feb if you go to check for update.

space-cash