4K setups and discussion thread

• 288 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »
Netflix has a new movie out Triple Frontier which is in Dolby Vision and Atmos. Watched it ( movie was meh) and it looks different than HDR. It's not as bright or something. Hard to explain. Sounded awesome though.

I can't get Dolby Vision to work with either of my TCL Series 6 HDTVs.  The XBox One X reports that my 'display is using an older version of Dolby Vision that's not compatible with the XBox One X', or something to that effect.  I did a little research and apparently this is an ongoing with a lot of HDTVs and Dolby Vision. :-\
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
I think my TCL upstairs gets the Dolby Vision. That is after I hard reset it. I will have to check again.

To be honest I really do not think it that is huge of deal. The HDR looks brighter to me. DV looks kinda brownish or something.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »
I think my TCL upstairs gets the Dolby Vision. That is after I hard reset it. I will have to check again.

To be honest I really do not think it that is huge of deal. The HDR looks brighter to me. DV looks kinda brownish or something.

Okay thanks... it doesn't seem like TCL and/or Microsoft have a permanent answer to this yet.  I've found nothing definitive on it.  Also, it's not just TCL HDTVs that are reported as having 'out of date' versions of Dolby Vision.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #273 on: March 30, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Watched Netflix last night upstairs and the TCL does support it.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
Watched Netflix last night upstairs and the TCL does support it.

Thanks for that confirmation.  I'm going to see what version of firmware I've got on my TCLs right now, and  report that here. 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
Anyone who says 4K doesn't matter either is blind or has never seen it set up correctly.

When I travel for work I bring my spare X with me and I am at the mercy of the hotels tv I stay at. Usually I stay in the Holiday Inn or the Marriott. Not the worst hotels but decent. Usually the TVs are ok. Right away as soon as I hook it up I can tell the difference. It's night and day.

When I get home I'm so grateful for my set up lol. Not only the picture quality but the sound. Obviously in a hotel you can't have surround sound and I don't have a headset. Writing this I think I will get one for travel. I'm always alone in the room so why not. Golf is ok but I can't really play PUBG because I can't hear ****.

The internet connection is a whole other issue. I usually end up using my mobile phone as a hotspot. The connection is better.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

lastchancehombre

« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2019, 07:47:07 PM »
I've got true 4K now that I have a new eyeball!  :o The left eye's to be done at the end of May! WoooHooo!!  ;D

Honestly I've been missing out on 4K until this surgery!! Literally a whole new world!!  8)
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

TGC 2019 releases

Woodley Island Golf Club
The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

mebby

« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
Anyone who says 4K doesn't matter either is blind or has never seen it set up correctly.

When I travel for work I bring my spare X with me and I am at the mercy of the hotels tv I stay at. Usually I stay in the Holiday Inn or the Marriott. Not the worst hotels but decent. Usually the TVs are ok. Right away as soon as I hook it up I can tell the difference. It's night and day.

When I get home I'm so grateful for my set up lol. Not only the picture quality but the sound. Obviously in a hotel you can't have surround sound and I don't have a headset. Writing this I think I will get one for travel. I'm always alone in the room so why not. Golf is ok but I can't really play PUBG because I can't hear ****.

The internet connection is a whole other issue. I usually end up using my mobile phone as a hotspot. The connection is better.

What's your method of travelling with the X?  I considered it but it just seems like it would be quite the process to haul it around - unless of course you're driving and not flying.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
I've got true 4K now that I have a new eyeball!  :o The left eye's to be done at the end of May! WoooHooo!!  ;D

Honestly I've been missing out on 4K until this surgery!! Literally a whole new world!!  8)

Glad to hear this LCH!  Yeah, 4K makes a huge difference for me with TGC 2019 and I'd say your "whole new world" applies to my experience as well.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

lastchancehombre

« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2019, 01:02:13 PM »

Glad to hear this LCH!  Yeah, 4K makes a huge difference for me with TGC 2019 and I'd say your "whole new world" applies to my experience as well.

Thanks JC! Amazing what you take for granted as 'the norm' visually until a simple procedure is preformed! I'm still amazed even after a couple of weeks!
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

TGC 2019 releases

Woodley Island Golf Club
Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

FRSTDWN

« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »

What's your method of travelling with the X?  I considered it but it just seems like it would be quite the process to haul it around - unless of course you're driving and not flying.

Only when I drive. I fly if it's 12 hours or more. I can drive long distances. Doesn't bother me. Actually enjoy it.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »

Only when I drive. I fly if it's 12 hours or more. I can drive long distances. Doesn't bother me. Actually enjoy it.

Ah - that makes more sense.  I just couldn't see hauling it through an airport along with my laptop and other gear.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

FRSTDWN

« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »
https://m.ign.com/articles/ps5-price-release-date-specs-launch-games

PS5 to have a  internal SSD and 8K gaming. Wonder what Xbox is going to do.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

stan_solo

« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
I would be inclined to take the 8K gaming with a pinch of salt  ...

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2019, 07:07:59 PM »
I would be inclined to take the 8K gaming with a pinch of salt  ...

Considering that I don't think 4K was as big of an enhancement over 1080p, as 1080p was over 720p, 8K displays don't excite me that much... at this time.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash