4K setups and discussion thread

• 348 Replies

FRSTDWN

« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
Will be a pre order for sure. Looking at 8K TVS and they would have to look amazing and cure a hangover for me to buy one now. Very excited about the new console though.  Just having a internal SSD is huge. For those that do not have an external one now they load so much faster .

Very interesting to see what HB does in the near future. They cannot stay quiet forever.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »
Will be a pre order for sure. Looking at 8K TVS and they would have to look amazing and cure a hangover for me to buy one now. Very excited about the new console though.  Just having a internal SSD is huge. For those that do not have an external one now they load so much faster .

Very interesting to see what HB does in the near future. They cannot stay quiet forever.

I hear you on the 8K TV front.  I had a harder time spotting the difference between 1080p and 4K, than I did 720p and 1080p.  I think 4K Vs. 8K will stretch that question to even less relevance for me at this point

Yeah, I'm more excited about the internal SSD that is being designed to act more like virtual RAM than I am any 8K capability.  I would be tickled to just be able to play TGC 2020 at 4K/60 FPS, with greater object detail, than going 8K.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: June 10, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »
I think I am a really long way away from ever buying an 8K TV.  With that said, I have been known to splurge on technology once in a while.  LOL   Sometimes it pans out, others times not so much.   <Looks at the big screen with 3D technology on the wall and sighs>

lastchancehombre

« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
Personally I like things to 'debug' a bit 1st before diving too far in on new technology. Depends a bit on what it is of course. Next gen console's are a no brainer, day 1 type of thing but the tv end of things are usually way high priced at 1st & typically seems not all things marry perfectly at 1st depending on the level of tech with the components involved.

Both items we're talking about though you would think would be just plug n' play from the get go. Dunno', we'll see!

As you mentioned JC, 4K & 60fps, I'd be in golf heaven with that!!
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

TGC 2019 releases

Woodley Island Golf Club
The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:52 AM »
I hope that when the XBox Sapphire is released, HB Studios will release an update for TGC 2019, whereby it will be locked at 60 FPS, as opposed to 30 FPS, as it is now.  I would think that would be a very easy updated to implement?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Stokie

« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2019, 06:37:02 AM »
i hope we have a new game ;D

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
i hope we have a new game ;D
Yeah, me too... I would honestly think that by the time the Sappire is released, there will be a new installment in the TGC series, and hopefully one that can be scaled for a variety of quality and performance options.  For example, I'd love to have the option to play TGC 2019 at 1080p/60 FPS on my XBox One X.  A number of current XBox One X Enhanced games offer such choices.  Elite Dangerous offers four different mixes of quality and performance, for example.

I only mentioned an update to TGC 2019 as a worst case scenario.  I seriously doubt HB Studios would want to update a game that would be over two years old at that point, although Perfect Parallel is still updating Perfect Golf, which is now just over three years old. :-\
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »
I had an unusual occurrence with one of my XBox One Xs.  Right after reinstalling it following its trip to the beach house last week, it started overheating.  I noticed the fan wasn't running.  I'm about to order a new fan, but there are two types of fan and you have to know which one you have to order the proper replacement, otherwise it won't fit your XBox One X without  modification.  The fans are not but $15, but does anybody else have any experience with this?  I've repaired about a dozen XBox 360s over the years that went down with the RROD, by upgrading the heat sink mounting hardware and using arctic silver thermal grease.  The XBox One X doesn't look to be as aggravating to get into than the 360.

Anyone else experience a failure like this before?  This XBox One X is nine months newer than the original one that I bought, so it's hard to say it's age related.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2019, 06:11:33 PM »
So having a nice surround sound is awesome but it can create problems for your sleeping family late at night. I own a pair of Beats that were pretty nice when I bought them but really only use them when I fly. So I thought there has to be a way to connect these to my receiver. Nope can't do that unless byuy have a Bluetooth transmitter. Which surprised me considering how recently I bought it . Then I noticed I  do have a mic jack on the receiver. Went to my local electronic store and they didn't have one long enough nor the right adapter. So I thought I could go from the headphones to the controller and there is a jack there which I never noticed. Tried that and it works. The mic doesn't seem to work but it sounds pretty good. Once plugged in I was able to raise the volume and change it to DTS. Looks like a success. Certainly for my wife who won't have to text me from two floors up and ask me if I'm fighting in a war. Also will work when I travel with the Xbox. Before I was using the hotels tv sound which sucks and even had security come to my door once because they heard gun fire.

Anyway for those that don't know you know.

I will be moving in probably 6 months and most likely will leave my set up with the house. So I will be getting a upgrade 😁

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
So having a nice surround sound is awesome but it can create problems for your sleeping family late at night. I own a pair of Beats that were pretty nice when I bought them but really only use them when I fly. So I thought there has to be a way to connect these to my receiver. Nope can't do that unless byuy have a Bluetooth transmitter. Which surprised me considering how recently I bought it . Then I noticed I  do have a mic jack on the receiver. Went to my local electronic store and they didn't have one long enough nor the right adapter. So I thought I could go from the headphones to the controller and there is a jack there which I never noticed. Tried that and it works. The mic doesn't seem to work but it sounds pretty good. Once plugged in I was able to raise the volume and change it to DTS. Looks like a success. Certainly for my wife who won't have to text me from two floors up and ask me if I'm fighting in a war. Also will work when I travel with the Xbox. Before I was using the hotels tv sound which sucks and even had security come to my door once because they heard gun fire.

Anyway for those that don't know you know.

I will be moving in probably 6 months and most likely will leave my set up with the house. So I will be getting a upgrade 😁

I'm sorta surprised to learn that this is working so well... sounds like a perfect solution and another way to get some mileage out of your Beats!  Earlier this Summer I bought a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 headset from Amazon, when they had them on sale for $89.99.  I've been very pleased with them, but I only use them when I have to...  they're good and essential for multiplayer where communication is needed, but I still prefer the acoustics of my Onkyo/Polk Audio surround sound system. 

I don't get texts from my wife; I get tapping on the ceiling from the floor below my gaming chair, then I know it's time to put on my Stealth 600s ;D
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Works great for when I playing solo or do not fee like talking since the mic does not work for whatever reason. 

haha that is funny. She asked me the other day why is it everything I watch or play has so much violence. I said golf isn't violent unless I play horrible lol.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
If you're playing on an XBox One X, what color depth do you use in your "Color Depth" setting on the X?  I'd been using 8 bit, but then I read that 10 bit would be better.  Do games really go beyond 8 bit on the XBox One?  Last I read they don't.  I don't know that it would hurt to select 10 bit and it not be used?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
I think I am on highest setting 12 bit?  I would have to look.  Yeah I recall reading the same thing that 10 bit is the best.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
I searched the internet with John's words..."Do games really go beyond 8 bit on the XBox One?"

It doesn't fully answer John's question but here's what came up with my search:

https://www.windowscentral.com/12-days-tech-tips-get-most-out-your-xbox-one-graphics

Xbox One consoles can output signals at 24 bits per pixel (8-bit), 30 bits per pixel (10-bit) and 36 bits per pixel (12-bit), and while higher is often better, don't mindlessly crank up the value to the maximum. Both your TV and game content set limitations on how significantly increased color depth is reflected on screen, with most consumer displays failing to offer 12-bit outputs. While HDR10, the standard used by Xbox One X, requires a 10-bit panel, many without HDR support only offer 8-bit.

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »
I searched the internet with John's words..."Do games really go beyond 8 bit on the XBox One?"

It doesn't fully answer John's question but here's what came up with my search:

https://www.windowscentral.com/12-days-tech-tips-get-most-out-your-xbox-one-graphics

Xbox One consoles can output signals at 24 bits per pixel (8-bit), 30 bits per pixel (10-bit) and 36 bits per pixel (12-bit), and while higher is often better, don't mindlessly crank up the value to the maximum. Both your TV and game content set limitations on how significantly increased color depth is reflected on screen, with most consumer displays failing to offer 12-bit outputs. While HDR10, the standard used by Xbox One X, requires a 10-bit panel, many without HDR support only offer 8-bit.

-MERACE

Thanks for finding that Mark.  I switched over to 10 bit, after reading the post recommending it elsewhere, but I haven't noticed any difference in appearance or performance so far.  I've only played TGC 2019 and NASCAR HEAT 4, both Unity games, so far.  I'll see how it looks with Forza 7 tonight.  I guess it doesn't hurt to have it in 10 bit, even if the content is only 8 bit, based on what I'm reading.  Somebody suggested it might somehow hinder standard def content being displayed properly.  I tend to not view SD content anyway, even if it does.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash