Template Hole Design (JOEgolferG WIP Thread)

• 9 Replies

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
This thread will hold all of the details for my future courses and design idea's. I'll also be adding in other extras like detailed analysis of individual template holes, course design philosophy and a bit of history about Template design.

As you may have already guessed, all of my future designs from here on in will be template hole golf courses. I feel that this style of architecture is extremely underrepresented in this game and I want to try and balance it out a bit. Bringing back the classics. I see It as paying tribute the original three, Charles Blair Macdonald, Seth Raynor and Charles Banks.

THE TEMPLATE HOLE PRINCIPLES.

During Charles Blair Macdonald's studies of courses in Scotland, MacDonald identified 21 different hole designs or “templates” that would test a great player’s game while allowing mediocre and poor players angles and options to score well. These “template holes” are typically pretty easy to identify after a little schooling (i.e. the cape, redan, road and eden holes). While these holes are similar from course to course, they are not duplicates. Each hole has been designed specifically for the site to create a unique twist for players.

CURRENT PROJECTS

Briarcliff Hollow CC - Fictional Sleepy Hollow CC

Charleston Hall - Fictional Yeamans Hall Club

Raynor Creek GC - Purely fictional

New Jersey National - Fictional Forsgate CC

? - Fictional Mountain Lake CC

For sake of ease, all updates will take place on the TGC Tours forum, as it it miles easier for me to post pictures on there. I will link all further progress updates in this thread.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »

burysaints29

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
Joe, Briarcliff looks great, what theme did you use to create this course?
TGC2019 Courses:
Newtown GC (Members)

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
Joe, Briarcliff looks great, what theme did you use to create this course?
I'm using Rustic for Briarcliff. The course is elevated high above the water table which gives it a different kind of look. I shouldn't be too long in releasing this course, maybe a week or two.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:05:13 AM by JOE golfer G »

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »
It's looking increasingly likely that an original version of Briarcliff Hollow will be out within the next day or two. Write up, flyover and hole by hole guide will follow..

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
Briarcliff Hollow is complete, but unreleased for now... Update in the link, including five new pictures of the course.

http://tgctours.proboards.com/thread/15343/template-hole-design-joegolferg-thread?page=2#post-359061

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
New update on New Jersey National, the fictional version of the Charles Banks designed Forsgate Country Club. Plenty pictures to go with it. On this link....

http://tgctours.proboards.com/thread/15343/template-hole-design-joegolferg-thread?page=2

guitardude_324

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
What are the current templates you have so far, I don't think I can name 21.  I'm curious to know which ones I'm missing.

Redan, Leven, Short, Long, Cape, Alps, Eden, Principal's Nose, Biarritz, Hogs Back, Punchbowl, Plateau, Double Plateau, and Tillinghast's Great Hazard

I'm not familiar with Knoll, Valley, and Steamshovel.

Do you have a source for more information besides The Fried Egg?  That's seems to be the only consistent place I can find template hole information on the web.

I'm working on a Chicago Golf Club inspired course.  I'm only two holes in, with 5 more already planned. 
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »
Well, unfortunately I've never read "The Evangelist of Golf" by George Bahto - which is THE book to read for education on Macdonald and his template hole philosophy (it costs £1200). So I might not even know about some templates, but the ones I do know, and use often, are...

Long
Short
Leven
Hogs back
Bottle
Narrows
Eden
Redan
Biarritz
Valley
Alps
Plateau