backswing on puttting

• 2 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
Just curious if it's intentional that you can make 50+ foot putts by pulling the putter back just a fraction of a hair, wait for animation and then follow through.  It seems to limit the amount of data and is very easy to not hit bad/offline putts.  Would think that if you are only moving the analog stick back a tad (literally just enough to get the animation started) the animation would stop at tap in distance?

Tried it with chipping and pulling analog stick back just fraction brings the club back very slowly - then gives you a Very Slow back swing and no distance - even if you take the club back all the way - can this mechanic be implemented with the putting as well?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:06:08 PM by Doyley »

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
Just curious if it's intentional that you can make 50+ foot putts by pulling the putter back just a fraction of a hair, wait for animation and then follow through.  It seems to limit the amount of data and is very easy to not hit bad/offline putts.  Would think that if you are only moving the analog stick back a tad (literally just enough to get the animation started) the animation would stop at tap in distance?

Tried it with chipping and pulling analog stick back just fraction brings the club back very slowly - then gives you a Very Slow back swing and no distance - even if you take the club back all the way - can this mechanic be implemented with the putting as well?

What you just described is the mouse swing in a nutshell.  Same thing happens when you putt since there is no tempo to deal with. The rest of the shots we have to pull back a little more than to get it started but pretty much have to wait until the animation hits the top of the backswing.  Welcome to mouse user's hell, cept you all get to take advantage of it for putting, we are stuck with it for all the other shots.

gtgud

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:41:59 AM »
I think this automatic backswing was deliberately implemented to prevent cheesing, by slowing down the swing and holding it excessively, in order to dumb down the task.

A quick backstroke would be akin to putting like Brandt Snedeker. I don't think that technique is inherently unfair, because it has its own downsides as well. A short back-swing usually relies on hitting the ball a bit harder on the forward swing. I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works in this game, but I believe we can still hit the ball all the way off the green by swinging too hard, even with just a minimum length back-swing.

So, I'm not sure if they should make putting any harder, considering we can still miss plenty offline based on the slightest of errors in our upswing; and the potential to miss our distance - by quite a bit - is still there, regardless of back-swing, as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:05:07 AM by gtgud »

space-cash