Ultra Hardcore SIM society (TST + no marker, no loft box, no follow cam)

• 10 Replies

lazza

« on: September 28, 2018, 02:12:03 AM »
Hi all - so far only one person (Woody, TST dude) has had the huevos to join my society so I'm advertising on here to see if there are any more of you who might enjoy a really realistic sim experience in this game:

The season has started (week-long events) at Sawgrass, here's the provisional event schedule, pending my tests on how courses play with these settings as I need to make sure there isn't anything tricked up that's just going to frustrate people.

Week 1: The 'Let the Pain Begin' Championship @ Sawgrass
---

Week 2: The 'Fritzl Dungeon Experience' Championship @ Old Course, St. Andrews
---

Week 3:  The 'Oh God Make it Stop' Championship @ Pebble Beach
---

Week 4: The 'Tie me up and Choke Me' Championship @ Augusta 18
---

Week 5: The 'Existence is Suffering' Championship @ East Lake
---

Week 6: The 'They ask you how are you are and you have to say that you're fine, but you're not really fine, but you can't get into it because they would never understand" Championship @ Valhalla

----------------------------------------------------

The settings / rules for this society are:

- no green grids
- no loft box use (distance control via shortened backswing to make e.g. 90% power, or tempo manipulation, fast backswing for more distance, slow backswing for less, same with downswings)
- no putting marker
- no precise wind measurement
- no follow cam (so you're really seeing the ball as you would if you were playing, plus you don't get clues about green breaks after your approach shot rolls on the green)
- no scout cam, overhead camera only (courses will only be selected if they have straightforward sightlines)
- putter cam only for viewing green breaks from different angles

From the above, loft box and follow cam do not exist as adjustable settings for societies, so we have to rely on the good faith of members to adhere to these rules. I'm guessing if you're interested in this type of sim mode experience then you're not going to be sneaky and try to get an unfair advantage by using the loft box or follow cam.

lazza

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:10:06 AM »
update: I've created a video tutorial and how you can control distance without the loft box, it's absolutely doable though it takes timing skill (just like in real golf, the swing matters - you can't pre-program your club IRL to dial in a distance after all!):

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/315699275

SassyLady

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:44 PM »
No putting marker and no grids? Might as well play blindfolded. The game just doesn't have the resolution needed to make this fun; fun for me anyhow.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club
TPC Mactan Hills (Regular and Tour Editions)

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club
Mactan Hills Country Club

TGC 1
Bonner Point Golf Resort (Championship)
Tri-Lakes Golf and Fishing Resort

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »
No putting marker and no grids? Might as well play blindfolded. The game just doesn't have the resolution needed to make this fun; fun for me anyhow.

Oh yes it does. It works extremely well at 1080p and probably even better in 4K.

Might not be fun for everyone, but if you like real golf and wants something that requires the same type of decisions and evoke the same type of feelings then it’s the best way to play the game.

jeffbdvs

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »

Oh yes it does. It works extremely well at 1080p and probably even better in 4K.

Might not be fun for everyone, but if you like real golf and wants something that requires the same type of decisions and evoke the same type of feelings then it’s the best way to play the game.
Agreed.

I miss the loft box for draw and fade and (relatively) easy spin/rollout control. But my swing plane has a natural mini-fade and maybe I can use that from time-to-time.

Just today I played a 73-yard pitch using a 9I (carry 74 yards) into a moderate headwind using a deliberately slow backswing. I assume my power and downswing were good because the ball rolled to within 3 feet of the hole. From the whooping and hollering that ensued you'd have thought I aced 17 at Sawgrass.  :D
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

SassyLady

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »

I've played with no green grids in 1080p and I can't see any breaks in the green at all. And when (with green grids on) I miss a 9 foot putt with a gentle left to right (or right to left) because I didn't get it high enough (or too high) I feel just about the same when I would miss putts outside with a real putter in my hand.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:19:18 PM by SassyLady »
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 04:09:07 AM »

I've played with no green grids in 1080p and I can't see any breaks in the green at all. And when (with green grids on) I miss a 9 foot putt with a gentle left to right (or right to left) because I didn't get it high enough (or too high) I feel just about the same when I would miss putts outside with a real putter in my hand.

Key issue with the grid is that you wont miss most of those 9 footers.....

SassyLady

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:05 AM »

Maybe you won't. I miss about half of them (or more); with grids on. Outside of 5 or 6 feet I SUCK at putting girds on or off. On a real course I can usually 2 or 3 putt. Here with grids off, I'm lucky, real lucky, if I 4 putt.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »

Maybe you won't. I miss about half of them (or more); with grids on. Outside of 5 or 6 feet I SUCK at putting girds on or off. On a real course I can usually 2 or 3 putt. Here with grids off, I'm lucky, real lucky, if I 4 putt.

Save the hyperbole.

It’s virtually impossible to 3 putt from 10 feet in this game regardless of grids. Except for some very dicey pin positions.

You need to understand that no grid green reading is an acquired skill and there is no hand holding from the game in that aspect. It’s a long process of gradually improving by analysing misses and testing various methods. Real world methods work quite well.

Pretty much everyone is terrible at it when starting out. And not everyone is interested in a game mechanic that requires dedication to even get good at, let alone master. And that is fine.

SassyLady

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »

Save the hyperbole.

It’s virtually impossible to 3 putt from 10 feet in this game regardless of grids. Except for some very dicey pin positions.

You need to understand that no grid green reading is an acquired skill and there is no hand holding from the game in that aspect. It’s a long process of gradually improving by analysing misses and testing various methods. Real world methods work quite well.

Pretty much everyone is terrible at it when starting out. And not everyone is interested in a game mechanic that requires dedication to even get good at, let alone master. And that is fine.

No hyperbole was issued. I've not played with grids off but about 2 or 3 rounds. So 4 putting (or worse) from 8 or 9 feet is very possible. Were I to play it regularly without green grids, that wouldn't be so. But I've played regular golf (and that has no grids). Having a visible guide is a welcome change.

As for dedicating the time to get good at it, just about the time you get good at it, they release a new game. And the game won't be online long enough for you to master it. That takes years. So again I say, they need to work on things that the majority want. No loft box doesn't seem to be one of them.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »

Save the hyperbole.

No hyperbole was issued. I've not played with grids off but about 2 or 3 rounds. So 4 putting (or worse) from 8 or 9 feet is very possible. Were I to play it regularly without green grids, that wouldn't be so. But I've played regular golf (and that has no grids). Having a visible guide is a welcome change.

As for dedicating the time to get good at it, just about the time you get good at it, they release a new game. And the game won't be online long enough for you to master it. That takes years. So again I say, they need to work on things that the majority want. No loft box doesn't seem to be one of them.

Its not like they have massively changed the putting mechanics, Cameras and green graphics over the series. Not many people struggle with adapting to TGC19 putting Coming from TGC2 - in fact it’s significantly easier as the ball stops quicker downhill than it used to.

space-cash