PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

gtgud

« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »
The rough changes sound unfortunate

You have to be able to reach the green from the rough/sand. This in tgc2 was no fun. Stopped playing.

The rough seems okay. Rough should be progressively penal, otherwise there will be no reason to layup... like players have to consider - in real golf.

However, the ridiculously low sand-lies sound way over-the-top. Sand is usually quite playable, unless in a pot-bunker, or buried, behind the lip, etc.

Seems to me that HB's distance-loss-penalties are conflating the two surfaces. Sand is not the same as Deep-Rough, nor should it be playing like it.

But, part of me thinks that the increased Sand penalties are a workaround for the utter lack of bunker lips, in this game. I think we should figure out how to make bunkers have depth, rather than making contrived penalties for sitting up in the middle of one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:09:52 PM by gtgud »

Leadbelly

« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
Nothing is written in stone, so the more people posting there views the better. Nice to see people that don't post very often, contributing also.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
I still have the patch. Anyone want to buy it!
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

flamingoboot76

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2018, 11:16:31 PM »
I still have the server patch as well, good loft bad lies.. I haven't reset my game, unfortunately I cant play online in a matchmaking match, which is fine.. but if you haven't reset your game the patch still works.. I my case anyways..
astrophotographer

lastchancehombre

« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
I'm assuming since this is a server side update that all should have it? Xbox, 7:25pm PST, I don't??

Booted the game, no change. Booted again, no change. Uninstalled reinstalled, no change. Club distances, etc., are all the same.

Somebody want to fill me in?
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

**Ported to 2K21

TGC 2019 releases

**Beau Pre Estates
**Stone Lagoon Dunes
**Woodley Island Golf Club
**Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

gtgud

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
I'm assuming since this is a server side update that all should have it? Xbox, 7:25pm PST, I don't??

Booted the game, no change. Booted again, no change. Uninstalled reinstalled, no change. Club distances, etc., are all the same.

They temporarily reverted the changes.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,26261.0.html

FRSTDWN

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2018, 11:32:51 PM »
I still have the server patch as well, good loft bad lies.. I haven't reset my game, unfortunately I cant play online in a matchmaking match, which is fine.. but if you haven't reset your game the patch still works.. I my case anyways..

I'm guessing if I reset the Xbox it's gone.

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

lastchancehombre

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

Cool, thanks gtgud! Didn't see that!! 8)
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

**Ported to 2K21

TGC 2019 releases

**Beau Pre Estates
**Stone Lagoon Dunes
**Woodley Island Golf Club
**Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

FRSTDWN

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2018, 11:42:34 PM »

Cool, thanks gtgud! Didn't see that!! 8)

Pay attention Kerry!

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2018, 11:48:50 PM »
now the players that like to leave some irons or wedges out of their bag to carry more longer clubs aren't going to be happy with the loft box.

The excessive loft box kind of reminds me of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2011, with the overpowered, "Club Tuner." I recall that a wedge could be tuned to be so long, that it would perform like a mid to long-iron, thus allowing players to cut out 2 or 3 clubs from their bag, and load up on whatever else they wanted.

Leaving irons and wedges out would be a loophole, based on the unrealistic ability to make long clubs perform like short clubs.

I like the fact that, clubs will foreseeably only have a normal range of high and low distance, which will then compel players to play more strategically... kind of like how actual golf is played.

Bunkers are not all pot bunkers. Let's first pretend that this game even has pot bunkers. But, since it doesn't have any, let's please not pretend that the bunkers cannot be hit out of, at all. The loss needs to be somewhere in the 80-90% range, out of bunkers, unless buried. Golfers out on Tour successfully convert full bunker shots with regularity.

The rest of the rough sounds decent. But, I'd actually like to see some flier lies, (with like say, 105-110%) out of the first or second cut, from time to time. The deep rough and fescue should should be hack-out material. So, we're moving in the right direction, there.

There's no way in the world that a Flop shot should go 40 yards, full stop. 25 yards, seemed excessive, at that. We need to look at some real-life Flops, and see what goes on. They are shortish, high shots, with a bit of roll... usually brought on by being short-sided. But, they need to roll, when the terrain calls for it.

Pitch shots are probably good, even if extended... as long as the distance fills gaps, and makes sense, of course. But, I'd argue that pitches could use a bit more zip on the second hop.

But, a 3-Wood does not carry only 243 yards, not even fully lofted. That's way outside the scope of a normal distance progression.

There was always something wrong with the woods, hybrids, and long irons, from the start of this game; particularly, with their lack of distance adjustment, compared to the other clubs. It is like playing two different games, going from dial-a-distance, with the short irons... to hitting a wood the same exact distance - no matter how much loft is applied. - Doesn't make much sense, not even unto itself.

We should be able to loft up a wood, or hybrid, or long iron. It just shouldn't knock 50 yards off of it. But, a fully lofted wood should knock off more than 2 yards, right? - I hope they fix that.

But, equally important, is to make all clubs travel a normal Tour distance progression. If a Driver can be carried over 300 yards, at the highest level, than a 3-Wood should be more commensurate with that progression. Losing over 40 yards of just carry, between a Driver and a 3-Wood, is a bit overboard. 20-30 yards... maybe?

HB, let's please get a beta-testing-group going or something, am I right? Let's please test these things out, at least a little bit, to make sure that they make sense, before just unloading them upon everyone... and then having to take it all back, and then do it all over again.

I'll volunteer to be a beta-tester. I would just rather we get everything thoroughly tested, so that it's all-the-way looking like golf, moreso than a mashup of some random input that doesn't necessarily correlate fully - to what PGA Tour golf looks like.

I agree with nearly everything you've said here except for the bit about lofting woods. No one does this. And if you did it wouldn't materially alter your shot distance so I think they've got it right.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

CoolD373

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
Most of my experience with the server side patch was pretty positive.  I do think the loft, trajectories, and spin are much more realistic.  These settings I would keep.  What I don't like are the random kind of lies you get in bunkers.  If you roll into a bunker, you should have a better percentage lie than if you plug on the fly.  These things should be taken into consideration.  It looks to me, and I noticed this from the launch of the game, that lie percentages in the rough and bunkers tend to be random and don't have anything to do with how they land or "roll in".  I think having this at least for the bunkers would make this more realistic.

Also, I think too much distance has been taken off the 3 wood.  Most pros can carry a 3 wood more than 243 yards.  I think now the 1 iron actually carries more than the 3 wood, which doesn't make sense to me.  I could be wrong there but I think that is what I saw.  Outside of those two things, everything else seems really good, definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dave

gtgud

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2018, 12:14:07 AM »
I agree with nearly everything you've said here except for the bit about lofting woods. No one does this. And if you did it wouldn't materially alter your shot distance so I think they've got it right.

Lofting a wood is a legit real world thing. It's called "popping-up" a shot.

It's not typically done on purpose; but the top Tour players can do it, at will, to make a wood lose distance, or land more softly. They can also deliberately do the opposite, and hit a low bullet.

It's a combination between hitting forward or back in stance, as well as, hitting it above or below center (fat/thin), choking up or down; and finally, a low or high follow through.

The "handsey" players (like Tiger and Rory) can manipulate all of these things to seemingly pull of magic. But, what they really did, in overly-simplistic video game terms, was either loft up the shot, or de-loft it.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUC250pOwaE
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:57:46 AM by gtgud »

FRSTDWN

« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »
One of the better threads on this forum.

A lot of good feedback and no bs.

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2018, 12:34:06 AM »

Lofting a wood is a legit real world thing. It's called "popping-up" a shot.

It's not typically done on purpose; but the top Tour players can do it, at will, to make a wood lose distance, or land more softly. They can also deliberately do the opposite, and hit a low bullet.

It's a combination between hitting forward or back in stance, as well as, hitting it above or below center (fat/thin), choking up or down; and finally, a low or high follow through.

The "handsey" players (like Tiger and Rory) can manipulate all of these things to seemingly pull of magic. But, what they really did, in overly-simplistic video game terms, was either loft up the shot, or de-loft it.

Here are some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUC250pOwaE

Meh. I think those shots are in the far fringes of reality. You showed one shot not multiple. Maybe you're right but I've watched a ton of golf and played a lot too (not that I'm a shining example of golf excellence) and lofting a wood is not something you see or hear about much (if ever).

If someone wants to hit a low stinger they more often than not drop down to a driving iron or hybrid rather than trying to deloft a traditional wood.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

space-cash