Server Side Gameplay Updates

• 184 Replies

YOSEMITESAM66

« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50:44 AM »
I’m on ps4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
upload it to the cloud, u should have 3 files to upload, i do this after every round, need or not i do it.
A bad day of golf beats a good day at work!

gtgud

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2018, 12:59:32 AM »
I agree with nearly everything you've said here except for the bit about lofting woods. No one does this. And if you did it wouldn't materially alter your shot distance so I think they've got it right.

Lofting a wood is a legit real world thing. It's called "popping-up" a shot.

It's not typically done on purpose; but the top Tour players can do it, at will, to make a wood lose distance, or land more softly. They can also deliberately do the opposite, and hit a low bullet.

It's a combination between hitting forward or back in stance, as well as, hitting it above or below center (fat/thin), choking up or down; and finally, a low or high follow through.

The "handsey" players (like Tiger and Rory) can manipulate all of these things to seemingly pull of magic. But, what they really did, in overly-simplistic video game terms, was either loft up the shot, or de-loft it.

Here are some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUC250pOwaE

Meh. I think those shots are in the far fringes of reality. You showed one shot not multiple. Maybe you're right but I've watched a ton of golf and played a lot too (not that I'm a shining example of golf excellence) and lofting a wood is not something you see or hear about much (if ever).

If someone wants to hit a low stinger they more often than not drop down to a driving iron or hybrid rather than trying to deloft a traditional wood.

I was still editing that post. I agree that it's not something that the common duffer does, at least not on purpose. But, setup and strike, and follow through, will definitely make a difference, even to a wood.

gtgud

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2018, 01:06:34 AM »
Maybe Tiger isn't the best example for what's possible. But, you don't even have to watch this blurry old video of his clinic... all you have to do is listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6iBAul2-Qs&t=0s&list=PLnGCY_3GjrAa46S0MTQhgRTEQo1I5QiCX&index=2

Here's a good example of Rory missing his intended shot, in his own words, "a high draw," but, nevertheless still getting a good result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0NFFIgq2c

Here's another flushed wood, that lands softly.
https://twitter.com/RyanLavnerGC/status/734416994980630529
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:53:20 AM by gtgud »

Gasman

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »
How can you change gameplay at server side ........doesn't seem right.
Surely a fix like this should be client side.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »

And it matters how?

Gasman

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2018, 03:31:57 AM »

And it matters how?
What happens if you have connectivity problems?

You play a different game offline as opposed to online.

Clearly your the expert so is that not the case?

DONTMAKEMEPUTT

• Golf is my Life, Life is my Golf!
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2018, 03:42:41 AM »
Well I’m NOT happy with these changes whatsoever

So i fully loft a 8 iron and compare to hitting full 7 iron and there still a 8 yard gap in between my clubs WTF

NOT HAPPY

Well I retract my initial overreaction and I believe the majority of changes are good

The only thing I noticed from the brief time I had with the new distances is bunkers shouldn’t give me a 52% lie when I only just trickle into 1 seems a little unfair
Golf gamer since Tiger Woods 06 and bought every golf game ever since!

Leadbelly

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2018, 03:43:07 AM »
The way I understand things, once the server side testing is complete a client side update will be released. Apparently they can make changes much faster and more frequently server side, so that's why they chose to do it this way.

Gasman

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:58 AM »
The way I understand things, once the server side testing is complete a client side update will be released. Apparently they can make changes much faster and more frequently server side, so that's why they chose to do it this way.

Ok that makes sense to have a server beta before pushing the update to the end user.

Thanks

Martbloke

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2018, 04:01:31 AM »

Exactly this. It's good as you get to test it all like a beta until it's right and then they release the permanent settings via a patch. It's better than releasing a patch for it to then be wrong and wait a while for another patch to fix it which then could be wrong in itself.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2018, 04:11:59 AM »
In PUBG they called it a hot fix.

Server side. No approval needed from Xbox or Playstation.

Put a question up on Xbox and no one had issues with the patch. This was PC issue.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

frank70

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2018, 04:49:22 AM »
Sometimes i have to ask myself if the devs even know or understand the game of golf.

The applied penalties to certain lies seem to be random or drawn out of a hat.

- You get no 52% lie if your ball trickles into a bunker and is sitting up - how in the world can you implement that?. This is at least a 90% lie or more a 95% lie.
Why? Because the ball is sitting up and there is no real problem to make contact.
And there is also not much if any spin loss in the bunker.
Why? Because there is nothing between the ball and the club - unlike if you are lying in the heavy rough and grass is behind the ball.

I almost knew it that HB would overdo the rough and bunker penalties. It was totally wrong in TGC2 and now it is totally wrong again.

What really is missing are flyer lies in semirough (not the really deep stuff where 75% power is okay).
And generally i don't see much difference in rollout between shots from the fairway and shots from the deep stuff. There should be because shots out of the rough have way less spin on the ball. But that might change after the update.

gtgud

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »
Sometimes i have to ask myself if the devs even know or understand the game of golf.

- You get no 52% lie if your ball trickles into a bunker and is sitting up - how in the world can you implement that?. This is at least a 90% lie or more a 95% lie.
Why? Because the ball is sitting up and there is no real problem to make contact.
And there is also not much if any spin loss in the bunker.
Why? Because there is nothing between the ball and the club - unlike if you are lying in the heavy rough and grass is behind the ball.

I almost knew it that HB would overdo the rough and bunker penalties. It was totally wrong in TGC2 and now it is totally wrong again.

What really is missing are flyer lies in semirough (not the really deep stuff where 75% power is okay).
And generally i don't see much difference in rollout between shots from the fairway and shots from the deep stuff. There should be because shots out of the rough have way less spin on the ball. But that might change after the update.

Agreed.

The excessive bunker penalties can only be described as, a gaffe. It just doesn't make sense to say, "we're going to need you to go ahead and hit this next shot, nearly twice-as-far as normal... out of this relatively flattish lie, sitting up, in the middle of the bunker."

What irritates me is the lack of quality control. Why doesn't one employee - that is passionate about golf - get a chance to test out a few rounds, with the prospective updates, and knock the ball around... to at a minimum, test out the fluidity and realism within?

It just makes no sense how some of this stuff gets beyond the rough-draft stage, much less, actual implementation.

The game wasn't too far off. But, bunkers did not need any adjustment, certainly not in the less-distance direction. If anything, bunkers should have been made moreso like the lighter rough, unless a shot ends up plugged. Then, these low-ball percentages make sense.

Sometimes, you gotta wonder... who is signing off on these changes? Do they actually play golf, or even watch it on television?

Tony2512

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2018, 05:25:35 AM »

Sometimes, you gotta wonder... who is signing off on these changes? Do they actually play golf, or even watch it on television?

Do they actually play golf, or even watch it on television? This is also my question to HB
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:17:44 AM by Tony2512 »

HitItLong

« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
I'm a little confused with people complaining about full loft not being enough of difference anymore. That's something that was always silly in my mind. In real life you might open the face a little but opening it up so much you take 50yds off a 8i isn't a thing. In real life you just club down one or two clubs. With the fixed RPMs and trajectory you shouldn't need to use massive amounts of loft to get a 8i to stop realistically.

Agree. My guess is there are people using “enhanced controllers” that were simply dialing in a distance and never facing an off center swing. 

There’s no way I can loft my 4 iron and have it carry like a 6 iron on a flushed swing. 

Maybe the wedge ranges could have some overlap but not any irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, what you said, the only ones complaining as you said, about that, are the straight shooters.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

space-cash