Server Side Gameplay Updates

• 184 Replies

HitItLong

« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2018, 06:33:18 AM »
How can you change gameplay at server side ........doesn't seem right.
Surely a fix like this should be client side.

And it matters how?
What happens if you have connectivity problems?

You play a different game offline as opposed to online.

Clearly your the expert so is that not the case?

No you are right, if you play offline you will be playing a different game, HB however did state once they were happy with the server side update they would make it a client side patch.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

mebby

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:23 AM »
Maybe Tiger isn't the best example for what's possible. But, you don't even have to watch this blurry old video of his clinic... all you have to do is listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6iBAul2-Qs&t=0s&list=PLnGCY_3GjrAa46S0MTQhgRTEQo1I5QiCX&index=2

Here's a good example of Rory missing his intended shot, in his own words, "a high draw," but, nevertheless still getting a good result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0NFFIgq2c

Here's another flushed wood, that lands softly.
https://twitter.com/RyanLavnerGC/status/734416994980630529

Yeah. I still maintain that they've got this mostly right. This is a very advanced shot. No video game is going to be able to replicate every shot that can be executed in real life but it should cover the most common ones for sure.

I think in order for HBS to truly emulate shots like this we would have to be able to move the ball around in our stance and adjust our club head angle instead.of having a simple loft box adjustment.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

bblancobrnx

« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »
Sometimes i have to ask myself if the devs even know or understand the game of golf.

The applied penalties to certain lies seem to be random or drawn out of a hat.

- You get no 52% lie if your ball trickles into a bunker and is sitting up - how in the world can you implement that?. This is at least a 90% lie or more a 95% lie.
Why? Because the ball is sitting up and there is no real problem to make contact.
And there is also not much if any spin loss in the bunker.
Why? Because there is nothing between the ball and the club - unlike if you are lying in the heavy rough and grass is behind the ball.

I almost knew it that HB would overdo the rough and bunker penalties. It was totally wrong in TGC2 and now it is totally wrong again.

What really is missing are flyer lies in semirough (not the really deep stuff where 75% power is okay).
And generally i don't see much difference in rollout between shots from the fairway and shots from the deep stuff. There should be because shots out of the rough have way less spin on the ball. But that might change after the update.

Yeah it seems like they have it set up so the game only takes into account where your ball is, and not how it got there. They have the animation for a ball being plugged in the bunker, or just rolling in, but the game treats them identically. Either way, when you go to take your next shot, the ball looks the same before your swing. I remember on the last  tiger Woods game I played (2010?) When you were plugged, you could barely see the ball on your next swing and it played as such.

Lancers

« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
If the ideas they dropped yesterday are what HB thinks will improve the game then I would choose to play the game the way it was out of the box.

Play the NHL series? Updates are via tuners which you can choose to use or not and you can pick the tuner you want. ? They can't or won't give us this choice? You want to keep the courses under lock and key fine but give us a choice of how we want to play. Game isn't coded that way? I dunno.

Pitch shots? Very slow forward swing? You laid the sod over it not shanked it. Game is pretty close and with a few minor tweaks could be something.

Loft box. Allow for a few yard deviation in shots. Fade and draw? Since we can't change the stance this is the only way to work the ball if you aren't good enough with the tempo to achieve it that way. Ball cuts and draws too quickly can that be fixed or is it hard coded?

moneyman273

« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
Sometimes i have to ask myself if the devs even know or understand the game of golf.

The applied penalties to certain lies seem to be random or drawn out of a hat.

- You get no 52% lie if your ball trickles into a bunker and is sitting up - how in the world can you implement that?. This is at least a 90% lie or more a 95% lie.
Why? Because the ball is sitting up and there is no real problem to make contact.
And there is also not much if any spin loss in the bunker.
Why? Because there is nothing between the ball and the club - unlike if you are lying in the heavy rough and grass is behind the ball.

I almost knew it that HB would overdo the rough and bunker penalties. It was totally wrong in TGC2 and now it is totally wrong again.

What really is missing are flyer lies in semirough (not the really deep stuff where 75% power is okay).
And generally i don't see much difference in rollout between shots from the fairway and shots from the deep stuff. There should be because shots out of the rough have way less spin on the ball. But that might change after the update.

And I've heard these things too.  I didn't get a chance to play before the pulled the server update but if this is true, they've gone from too easy to WAY TOO HARSH and unrealistic.  HB needs to be reading this and hopefully tweaking it when the server updates are made and released again.

Reppdogg

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Pitching and wedges feel much better after this update. Had a couple wedges i was able to stop and back up right where it landed which felt very good. I like the heavy rough being a bit more challenging. Hope to see more tweaks to the gameplay like this as time goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kabeeo

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
So is the update pulled for everyone or just Xbox? Sorry I'm getting a little confused.

wim1234

« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
whatever they change there will be always ppl who like it and ppl who dislike it.
gamers are very notorious in accepting things how they are, the mass want to have things better for their point of view.
kinda funny, for me i only hope they wont make it much more diffucult, neither easier....the proclubs right now play about ok to me.
see , and this last part was just what this post is about, thats is MY point of view.
sadly i see many ppl that want their point of view overruling all others.

BWW2201

« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
the rough was almost perfect at launch - maybe needed a 3-5% reduction
the over done penal rough is only an attempt to make the game harder, not to make it realistic

I hate laying up after hitting a drive 10 yards off the fairway

This only promotes more straight shooting off the tee

moneyman273

« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2018, 09:45:21 AM »
Bunkers now give awful percentages even if you roll in and don't plug. Not good.

And light rough needs to be bumped back up because it's way too penal. Hell in real lifestyle light rough often adds distance due to flier lies rather than reduces distance.

Bumping this with nothing else to add.  If this was the case post server update, we've now taken one step forward and two steps backward.  I hope they tweak when they re-release the server updates.

Shardak

« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
Most pros can carry a 3 wood more than 243 yards. 

Some can, but 243 yards is the PGA tour average, which is what HB appears to be shooting for.  So I would say they have it correct.

Lancers

« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
What I don't get is the fact they chose to go with the rough and sand play the way it was at launch and then decide to go back to TGC2. The game was in development before they released it and they made the decision to release it that way. I don't get it. Now it looks like we get TGC2 with a new swing mechanic and a course designer that is nerfed.   ::)

CuseHokie

« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
Stumbled on this...  Those numbers look very similar in some spots.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/2017-pga-lpga-tour-avg/
PSN:  CuseHokie

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
i agree that a ball that trickles into a sand trap is not going to have a plugged lie percentage but, its also not going to have a 90-95% lie either.  ive learned how to hit sand shots over the years with the wide open club face but,  its still not going to be as easy to hit as a light rough hit ,  percentage wise. 
   Heavy rough is heavy rough.   if you're out playing and not cheating yourself by fluffing up a shot that lands in the heavy rough it can get pretty random.  you may get  a pretty decent lie,,,  maybe.  if you're lucky.  but most times the ball drops down in the deep grass and getting a percentage that's anywhere near the light rough or fairway percentage just doesn't happen.  in real life. 
  I don't know how anyone can expect HB to have a shot estimator that says, " oh its just off the edge of the light rough" so the penalty is much less then if its 10 yards off.  that seems like a tall request  besides, being just off the first cut and in the heavy rough can be just as bad sometimes.    I agree that you have random lies when a ball is in the heavy rough.  and, if someone creates a course that's got a lot of heavy rough and narrow fairways then that course is what it is.  it may not be everyones cup of tea
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:22:27 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

gtgud

« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
Some can, but 243 yards is the PGA tour average, which is what HB appears to be shooting for.  So I would say they have it correct.

This is all well and good. But, if HB is going to use the average for the 3-Wood, than shouldn't they also use the average for the Driver?

The point is that the progression has to make sense.

space-cash