Putting marker - does it still matter?

• 8 Replies

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
Hi and I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

Does the putting marker work the same as it always has?  i.e. Does moving the marker for distance still aid your putting?
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

Martbloke

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
Don't know but just wanted to make a point that it really shouldn't if it does and needs to be removed. It should just be a visual marker to aim for to assist the user in getting the correct power. We don't have any assists when swinging other clubs (as far as I know although contrary to what I think FRSTDWN believes, lol ;-)) so why should putting be on rails?!

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
I don't care either way.  Just want to know which it is.
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

mebby

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Don't know but just wanted to make a point that it really shouldn't if it does and needs to be removed. It should just be a visual marker to aim for to assist the user in getting the correct power. We don't have any assists when swinging other clubs (as far as I know although contrary to what I think FRSTDWN believes, lol ;-)) so why should putting be on rails?!

Well - today we actually do have quite a large assist on distances for all other clubs.  You just adjust loft to dial in the exact distance and then execute a normal full swing.

I'm hoping that the upcoming loft box tweaks address that in a major way.  From the glimpse we got earlier this week things sound promising.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

Holmes108

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:09 AM »
Pretty sure it does nothing. At least that's the way I've always treated it. There are times where I've brought it practically up to my golfers feet to check for some info, and then just left it there. And it never seemed to affect the shot at all.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

heshwuan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
I feel like it matters..

The length of the backswing also matters, but moving the marker, as if you are putting at a certain location on the green, seems to help pinpoint distance control.

If you have the assist setting on default, it spawns at a suggested distance, and when set to 'club only' the putting marker spawns at the hole. That tells me that it has to have some effect.

Martbloke

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
I feel like it matters..

The length of the backswing also matters, but moving the marker, as if you are putting at a certain location on the green, seems to help pinpoint distance control.

If you have the assist setting on default, it spawns at a suggested distance, and when set to 'club only' the putting marker spawns at the hole. That tells me that it has to have some effect.

Interesting. This must be my issue with the 'behind the hole camera' issue as since the patch where they fixed the club only option, I changed it to full assist:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,26210.0.html

Thanks!

gtgud

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
Does the putting marker work the same as it always has?  i.e. Does moving the marker for distance still aid your putting?

Yes, the putting marker absolutely matters.

For instance, if you have a 12 foot putt, and your putting marker is at 12 feet, you will have to swing slightly harder, than if your putting marker were placed at 20 feet... in which case, you would only need to execute a smooth swing, to hold the line.

But, it's much riskier to place the putting marker too far past the cup, as you could easily hit the putt right through the break.

It's also quite risky to place the marker right at the cup, as you need to hit the putt harder to hold the line.

So, you can take advantage of this, in order to take a run at putts. But, if you get greedy, and place the putt marker 10 feet past the cup, you will eventually get punished.

I would say that the sweet spot for the placing the putting indicator is somewhere between 3 and 5 feet past the cup, for flat or uphill putts, in addition to the elevation... in order to hold the line adequately, but not to blow through it. This assumes that your putting speed will match that distance, though.

Here's what I would recommend: If you tend to hit your putts too hard, keep your putting marker nearer to the cup... and vice versa. If you tend to hit your putts too softly, then place your putting marker a bit more than 5 feet beyond the cup, but not past 10 feet... and the game will help correct your speed.

However, downhill putts should nearly always be hit to the elevation number, only. A margin of 1 to 2 feet firm, is good to make sure you get it to the hole. But, in my experience, 3 feet too hard, is just about too much for a downhill putt, if you're actually trying to play the break. But, if you're just trying to ram in a downhill putt, go ahead and aim past the cup and hit it. But, good luck, because it's much easier to lip-out on downhill putts, with such an aggressive strategy.

For example, a 10 foot putt, down 4 inches, should not be hit more than 8 feet... if you're trying to play the break, correctly. If you hit it 9 feet, it will likely go straight through the break. This can be used to your advantage, the harder you hit it. Slam-putting is definitely a possibility, in this game. But, it does come with the added risk of increased lip-outs, and come-backers that will be tough to save.

It's a balancing act; because the game assists your speed, depending on where you set the marker. You need to hit your putts hard enough to hold the line, but not too hard to power right through the break; because, if you're powering through the break, you will start to get some lip-outs.

It would probably be easier if the game just rolled each putt exactly how hard it was hit, with no distance assistance. To wit: by asking for a second input, (the putt indicator distance) the game is making the player determine a good speed for the putt, rather than the course. Then, the player has to further modulate their input, to account for this additional factor. So, it requires the player to be smarter than the situation necessarily requires... i.e. overthinking.

I think you can turn off the putt indicator. But, I'm not sure if it will remove the game's putt-speed-assist mechanism. But, personally I don't turn it off, because I like being able to see all of the camera angles, with the putt indicator as a reference point.

Perhaps, if you turn off the putt indicator completely, than the game will also assist with the line? lol Who knows...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:04:00 PM by gtgud »

wirenut48

• Retired Electrician IBEW Local 48
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »
To putt without the assistance just move the marker a ways out after setting your aim. I think the influence on distance correction is about +/- 5 feet of the markers distance. In other words you can be 5 feet to strong or weak and still get the given distance. That's how it was in TGC1 and I don't think it has been changed.
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

space-cash