Server tunings update 2.

• 742 Replies

steelereign

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Swing Tunings have been pushed out.

Does "pushed out" mean that they've been delayed or that they've been released for public consumption?

HB_CraigC

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Swing Tunings have been pushed out.

Does "pushed out" mean that they've been delayed or that they've been released for public consumption?

The tunings are LIVE right now.
~Senior Game Designer

steelereign

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
Okay, that's how I read it, but I think the wording has caused some confusion. Thanks for the reply.

darvaan

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
Loved the server update the first time, hope it holds for good this time.

Can anyone on tell how the bunkers and rough %lies are now with the new better adjustment?
The bunkers were much to penal before IMO.
GM of Masochist Sim Club(PS4) - All Aids Off on the finest PGA/RCR courses

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Hey Craig.  Was the tempo timing windows tweaked at all with this server side patch or the previous patch?

HB_CraigC

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
Was the tempo timing windows tweaked at all with this server side patch or the previous patch?
Swing difficulty (swing plane and tempo) cannot be adjusted via the server. Nor were they updated in previous patch. We held off on any difficulty tuning until we have given everyone a chance to play with, and provide feedback on, the difficulty with the new club and surface tunings.
~Senior Game Designer

tomtendo

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Rough/Sand play is too penalizing. Rough/Sand should really only affect your spin/loft. It shouldn't affect the distance as much.

For Example: Tiger was terrible off the tee this year, but one of the best GIR.

I really do not want to worry about 60% rough play every time you go into the rough... It should only affect your ability to STOP the ball where you want.

lazza

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
I've had light rough of 91-94% and heavy rough of 75-80% on the same course, don't think I could be happier with those kinds of numbers to be honest.

Balls from 100-180 yards are stopping absolutely BEAUTIFULLY.

High winds have more effect, presumably due to higher ball flight - very glad about this because with the easier approach spin, we need a spanner in the works to add some challenge and wind is way harder to deal with now.

The Wind

• Nobody loves me...
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
I eat high spinning shots for breakfast.  Break out those pitch shots fellas. 

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
Was the tempo timing windows tweaked at all with this server side patch or the previous patch?
Swing difficulty (swing plane and tempo) cannot be adjusted via the server. Nor were they updated in previous patch. We held off on any difficulty tuning until we have given everyone a chance to play with, and provide feedback on, the difficulty with the new club and surface tunings.

Thank you very much for this.  Playing Tuesday it seemed a bit easier with master clubs and the mouse, so I was wondering if there was an adjustment.  Playing now it felt like the original difficulty hence my confusion.  I'll keep playing and see if there is improvement with the Master clubs.   

Where would you prefer comments about the mouse swing/tempo, on the PC forums or in this thread?

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
I played 18 at Hyperion GC and 4 holes at TPC Summerlin, post patch... so far, I'm loving it!  A tear formed in my eye as I watched my sand wedge approach from 105 yards hit the (moderate firmness) green slightly above pin high and actually spin back a couple of feet 8).  I also hit a number of 9 to 6-iron approaches to greens that checked up believably.

I also hit a 4-iron with an 8 mph tailwind into a green that was 17 feet below where the ball lied, and it (believably) rolled through the green after hitting 10 feet in front of the pin.  I was glad to see this just as much as the checking where I was hitting into the wind with a slightly more lofted club!

The heavy rough and sand penalties are more reasonable now, although still possibly still a bit severe.  I intentionally rolled a chip shot into a fairway bunker and even though the ball left a trail behind it for about 6 feet, and was clearly sitting on top of the sand, my 8-iron distance penalty for this lie was shown to be 78 to 87%.  It would have been 67 to 74% in the previous patch.

In real life I would be able to hit a similar shot pretty close to the full distance, with a good swing.  My tendency would be to skull it, or hook it, trying to pick it off.  I've seen others make similar comments about this.  I'd like to see HBS adjust the swing tuning to make a bad swing more penal in terms of direction or trajectory with clean bunker lies.  I know that can't happen with a server side patch though.

The heavy rough penalty seems pretty close to reality, albeit possibly still a bit too severe.  I'd rather see the error be in the direction they have it now versus not penal enough.  I actually hit a sand wedge approach out of light rough that was tagged as 92 to 96% on a level shot with a small tail wind and it carried 116 yards... it looked an felt like a flyer!?  I liked it, but I wonder if it was perhaps a fluke??

Anyway, this patch has already added a ton of character to the game... it looks and feels more like golf, IMO.  Nice work HB Studios! 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

ClassAct147

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »
Well I like the new lie percentages for sand and rough.   Penalising but that's how it should be when you miss the short stuff, spin is reacting well also.    Now, just put some fear into the swing and we've got a game on our hands...

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
For mouse users, I have placed a poll up under the PC forums so we can have an actual count of mouse users who wish to make their opinions on the mouse swing known to HB.  Please be respectful and no arguments.  It is simply a poll to see how well mouse users are doing with the swing and if you want to make a constructive comment, feel free to do so.

Click link to take the poll.  Thanks!

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=26317.0

Mark_82

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
Just played a round with a guest and my tempo was all over the place, had loads of very fast and very slows after previously having none before this update.

BSmooth13

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Regarding the new physics settings...

Is there a concrete reason why the ball physics used in TGC2 weren't just carried over into the new game? I'm assuming there is some developmental complication that prevented it? That was a really, really good mech for a golf game IMO, probably the best I've played, so I'm just wondering why.

Again, just my opinion, but I think you guys could/may have saved a ton of time and worry by simply carrying those physics over and incorporating it with the new swing. I'll guess that wasn't feasible?...I'm no expert.

Anyway, appreciate the effort, but still believe the ball physics from your prior release were superior to this version, respectfully.

space-cash