What is so appealing about virtual golf?

• 1 Replies

zuperkiwi

« on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:28 AM »
I get that question a lot when I tell people I play golf games.
Well here's how it started:

The first time I played virtual golf was in Grand Theft Auto V on the PS3 and I absolutely loved it.
Me and my buddies were not shooting people or robbing banks, we were playing golf for hours, every evening.
It really got me interested in a 'real' golf game so watched streams and youtube videos to see what games were out there.
In the meanwhile I played some Golf on the Wii, which was a blast.
Everybody's Golf caught my eye and I decided to give it a go. An man, what fun did I have!
I spend hours and hours on this game and even got the platinum trophy on PS4.
After I was done it was time to look further and may be try something a bit more sim, so I decided to buy The Golf Club 2 on PS4 last year.
I watched a lot of tutorial videos about swing techniques, making calculations to approach higher or lower green heights, wind effects, different club types, reading greens etc.
As my playtime increased I noticed I was slowly getting better, which made the game even more fun. To see an approach shot land within inched of the flag feels so good!

Most of the time I was playing offline societies with about 45 events, on hard difficulty with the medium clubs. It gave me just enough of a challenge.
When I heard about The Golf Club 2019 I was very exited, but since there was no official release date (especially for the disc version) I told myself not to be tó exited.
When the disc version was finally released I decided to stick with the medium (Pro) clubs and hard difficulty, even though I knew the gameplay had been tweaked compared to TGC2.
Being persistent brought me where I am today: winning the FedEX cup on hard difficulty (2 rounds per event, 3 for Majors) with Pro clubs.
So far I played about 120 rounds on TGC2019 and I still enjoy playing game very much, even though I'm still struggling to hit straight shots.

About 10 years ago I would never have thought virtual golf could be this much fun!
So what about you guys, how did you got into playing virtual golf?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:00:17 AM by zuperkiwi »

jeffbdvs

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
In 2008 we got a Wii for the kids (and me). It had a sports game package and one of them was virtual golf. It turned out to be so much fun that I bought TW08 for the Wii.

The rest is history.
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

space-cash