TGC May Invitational

• 21 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:12:51 AM »
Mother of all that is holy that was a tough tournament.  4 rounds at Chrystal Lakes with no aides of any kind.  And yet I had the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game in my last round.  I was using every bit of info I could gather - ghost balls to try and help read greens, overview to see which way the wind was blowing.  I was taking down notes after making some errors in the beginning rounds. Then after 2 rounds of even par (and one blowup 81) the final round came together.  With a 25 footer that broke slightly left (which I noticed during my approach shot) for birdie on the 18th - it was one last moment of 100% concentration of the day.  After dropping the putt for birdie and seeing a 68 on the scorecard it was more rewarding than any 55 I've shot to date. 

Things that rocked during this tournament:
  • pure joy of making a 6 foot putt (or any non-tap-in putt for that matter)
  • sticking an approach shot within 4 feet and knowing that all you had to do was tap it in
  • Birdies!!  They didn't come often but when they did there were many fist pumps to go with them!
  • Having to concentrate and use course management - playing to safe sides of greens/fairways
  • Exploration - I saw much more of the course - random bunkers, missed fairways, water hazards etc that would have otherwise been avoidable with wind speed and approach shot view

Things that didn't rock during this tournament:
  • no grids - it's really really hard but oh so rewarding when you put in the effort to watch ghost balls and look for hills to guess slopes - but it is extremely hard core putting without grids
  • having to wait for flyover to reach green to see flag for wind direction.  Would be great if pause button went to green with flag in hole (sometimes pin wasn't in) or show wind direction without actual wind speed - audio wind cues give you an idea of how fast wind is blowing
  • No approach shot view - Not sure what the benefits of removing this is - If you watch the flyover you still see entire hole anyways but I did have to make mental notes of bunkers and pin position

In the future I can see someone creating a tour simulating the PGA where there are your regular tournaments with all aides on and then your majors where most aides are turned off.  If HB is able to get all three systems players pooled together (PC, PS4, XBox1) the popular tournaments will be a blast with the sheer number of entrants. 

Hope everyone who enjoys a challenge gives the TGC May Invitational a go before the time expires.  My score is definitely beatable but it won't be easy!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:16:10 AM by Doyley »

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:15:30 AM »
Mother of all that is holy that was a tough tournament.  4 rounds at Chrystal Lakes with no aids of any kind.  And yet I had the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game in my last round.  I was using every bit of info I could gather - ghost balls to try and help read greens, overview to see which way the wind was blowing.  I was taking down notes after making some errors in the beginning rounds. Then after 2 rounds of even par (and one blowup 81) the final round came together.  With a 25 footer that broke slightly left (which I noticed during my approach shot) for birdie on the 18th - it was one last moment of 100% concentration of the day.  After dropping the putt for birdie and seeing a 68 on the scorecard it was more rewarding than any 55 I've shot to date. 

• sticking an approach shot within 4 feet and knowing that all you had to do was tap it in
  • Birdies!!  They didn't come often but when they did there were many fist pumps to go with them!
  • Having to concentrate and use course management - playing to safe sides of greens/fairways
  • Exploration - I saw much more of the course - random bunkers, missed fairways, water hazards etc that would have otherwise been avoidable with wind speed and approach shot view

• no grids - it's really really hard but oh so rewarding when you put in the effort to watch ghost balls and look for hills to guess slopes - but it is extremely hard core putting without grids
  • having to wait for flyover to reach green to see flag for wind direction.  Would be great if pause button went to green with flag in hole (sometimes pin wasn't in) or show wind direction without actual wind speed - audio wind cues give you an idea of how fast wind is blowing
  • No approach shot view - Not sure what the benefits of removing this is - If you watch the flyover you still see entire hole anyways but I did have to make mental notes of bunkers and pin position

In the future I can see someone creating a tour simulating the PGA where there are your regular tournaments with all aids on and then your majors where most aids are turned off.  If HB is able to get all three systems players pooled together (PC, PS4, XBox1) the popular tournaments will be a blast with the sheer number of entrants. 

Hope everyone who enjoys a challenge gives the TGC May Invitational a go before the time expires.  My score is definitely beatable but it won't be easy!

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:44:47 AM »
Mother of all that is holy that was a tough tournament.  4 rounds at Chrystal Lakes with no aides of any kind.  And yet I had the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game in my last round.  I was using every bit of info I could gather - ghost balls to try and help read greens, overview to see which way the wind was blowing.  I was taking down notes after making some errors in the beginning rounds. Then after 2 rounds of even par (and one blowup 81) the final round came together.  With a 25 footer that broke slightly left (which I noticed during my approach shot) for birdie on the 18th - it was one last moment of 100% concentration of the day.  After dropping the putt for birdie and seeing a 68 on the scorecard it was more rewarding than any 55 I've shot to date. 

In the future I can see someone creating a tour simulating the PGA where there are your regular tournaments with all aides on and then your majors where most aides are turned off.  If HB is able to get all three systems players pooled together (PC, PS4, XBox1) the popular tournaments will be a blast with the sheer number of entrants. 

Do you feel the addition of an always available top down view of the hole ie. Hole map, would have improved or hindered the experience?

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
I would have welcomed a hole map.  Add in wind direction (with no wind speed) and you could have a hard core game mode work very well.  If you were able to provide a way to make distances available on the hole map - on the PC it could be as simple as clicking on the map with mouse to get the distance from your ball to the point you clicked.  Not sure how it would work on the consoles.  That way you could judge distances to hazards if the approach shot view was disabled.  Or just have radius markers for 200, 250, 300 yards away from the tee box so you could know when to lay up on blind tee shots etc.

As for the no grids and how extremely hard core it is without them - what if you make the grids a timed event.  Not sure how fast but maybe have them disappear after 1 second (or less) so that you get a flash of what the green's slopes are.  Something like that would make the "no grids" setting bearable but still more difficult than having them on 100%.

BentFiveWood

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
I totally agree about the hole map.  Even for RL rounds and tournaments you are privy to much more information than you get from those settings.  It should be easier to get the info from your surroundings to make an informed shot decision.  Like a pin cam or something.

I played the official tournament at the desert-themed course and it wasn't altogether impossible.  I think I ended up +1 or something over 2 rounds.  It was a lot of fun though but my head hurt from all the thinking.

These kinds of tournaments may necessitate a walk-through practice round (grid on/ overhead on) with your caddie before starting the real deal.
Course(s) Created:
Manicouagan Crater
Pointe du Hoc Cliffs V2
Ojibway Bay GC

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
When I check the leaderboard of the TGC May Invitational I only see 4 completed rounds.  My round isn't there and neither are the ghost balls I played with.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Just checked today and my score is there along with 6 others that have completed all 4 rounds.  Does that seem current - I would have figured a few more would have completed the challenge after it got front page news.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
I don't know.   I wasn't a big fan of Crystal Lakes myself.  Plus 4 rounds there with no aids seems like a tough ask.  People are probably dropping out after their first round score.  LOL.

I'm just joking around.   Maybe there aren't enough complete rounds showing.   

I do want to play some tourneys without the grid myself.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
What's the leader at?
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
I finished at +5.  Next one is around +30 or so.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »
playing this set up with 7 mph winds is not fun lol my first two rounds the wind has been HOWLING
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:11 AM »
playing this set up with 7 mph winds is not fun lol my first two rounds the wind has been HOWLING

You have to be patient and wait out the fly by until you see the flag.  It's the only way to have a chance to break par.  Grab a beer and enjoy the view!

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 12:30:01 AM »

You have to be patient and wait out the fly by until you see the flag.  It's the only way to have a chance to break par.  Grab a beer and enjoy the view!

the flyby is WAY to slow to do that it would take an hour per round no thanks lol i shot +4 in the first round. so not bad with this wind. i am not really looking at the ghost balls either playing without them in the second round
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
ha, you are making it really tough.  I'd say on 50% of my putts I had a ghost ball that was relatively close to my putt so I could at least know which way the break was before putting.  I still missed most of them though so it's not likely to make much of a difference.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »
yea first round i had ghost balls, whatever the game set up the last three rounds i have had two guys playing live but not on my hole
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

space-cash