Some thoughts on adding spin

• 3 Replies

worldrevolver

« on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »
I have thoughts on a better backspin system.

At max loft if you swing PP you should get backspin. If you miss PP you still get some backspin. But like other things in the game currently, it’s variable.

Say PP is 90-95% total spin amount
SP would be 60-80
FP would be 70-90
PF would be 88-100
PS would be 55-75
FF would be 80-100
SS would be 50-70

A tick down should give you the same result scale but diminished percentages.

PP would be 85-90%
SP would be 55-75
Etc.

Which way you push up the stick influences the backspin direction.

So if I hit PP and push slightly towards 11 the ball backspins towards 5 initially and then takes green break.

The farther you separate values in swing tempo the less spin You would get. So horribly fast and terribly slow combined is going to have no spin.

So say down in the sand I could go max loft and try to nail PF and if I do the ball dances a little for me.

If I get loose in the upswing and go PS the spin is reduced and the ball might check and then release a few feet.

Every club in the game now has a forward rollout value. So now at max loft and 1 tick under all clubs would have a backspin value.

Raw numbers to start with and then tweak.
LW can spin back 7 yards
Sw 6
Gw 5.5
Pw 5
9 4
8 3
7 2
6 1

The above spin back value is per club with a full swing

With pitches, punches, chips, flops you lower the values accordingly.

Pitches are generally very dead hand so minimal backspin
Punches have backspin
Chips would have enough spin that gives them a check bounce before releasing. Currently they just kinda tumble forward and rollout.
Flops you could zip back phil style with a PF swing.

Spin should be tied to stick skills like the rest of the shots are.

The variable example would be a situation like this;

I plot out landing my PW the correct carry distance and with max loft bringing it back to the pin with my 5 yard value. if I hit PP i will have a 90-95% chance of getting exactly 5 yards back to the pin.
Which means I might get 4.8 yards or 4.6 as a result as well.

With this kind of system there should not be total control of the backspin just like there isn’t total forward rollout control currently.

With this system we could use backspin in a more risk/reward way.

jamescostanza

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
I would like to be able to control in between distances using the drop box.  I could in TGC2 but not so much in TGC2019.  It seems like I can add distance easier than reducing distance.  I know that I can go to 95 or 90 % using my swing tempo.  However I can not do this anywhere near consistent.

wirenut48

• Retired Electrician IBEW Local 48
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
I agree, spin should be controlled with the swing, but there is a much simpler and more realistic way to do it.

Since this is a analog swing mechanic, speed of the swing should control the amount of spin along with distance variation. Game would need to have tempo based solely on ratio of back/forward swing speed (4:1, 3:1) so you could vary the speed.

An over swing would also be nice to make distance control tougher. I would like to see the game put more emphasis on distance control and variation than tricked up dispersion. Would even work better to minimize the advantage of forgiving control methods. They still have an advantage since there is a fixed distance with proper tempo.
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

worldrevolver

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
Yep, that is how it should work.

But in their current system fast equals left.

So I figured if they want to keep it that way, fine.

All they need to do to re-introduce spin is add backspin values to the 2 highest loft clicks.

It would be a start at least of getting spin back in the game.

space-cash