Pico Valley
Titan Resort GC
TheLakes @ CoveredBridge
Bastin CC

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »
Silly question can a course that is created on pc using lidar be played on ps4

It did take longer to load.  So be patient.  Looks different when it's loading.
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 11:43:58 AM »
   thanks John for the course compliment .  it sounds like lidar will be used to create very accurate rcr's.  and, It definitely sounds quicker. I do hear you and understand what you're saying about the positives.  its an interesting development.

You know. I thought about this some more. I don't want to sound bitter. If lidar curses are legal and the best way to go then great. I will enjoy them too.  I don't think I will be scanning any courses for publishing but that's just me.

I certainly understand the pride that must come with putting in endless hours in the course designer, and recreating RCR's with painstaking detail.  And then along comes a utility that takes part of that aspect and takes dozens of hours off the intial layout, and makes it far easier to create something.

But, imagine the amount of time you can get into putting all of the other minor details in that really make a course pop.

At the end of the day, it is anyone's personal prerogative to whether they want to invest so much time into the designer; but all I am saying is that you seem to get alot of personal satisfaction by designing local courses you have played.

Maybe just maybe you will enjoy creating some additional local courses you played growing up, and can do so in a fraction of the time.

No rush on anything...but just something to think about.

You know. Starting to think about this some more.  Why wouldn't we want the most accurate versions of any course out there.  And I'm really enjoying the challenge of using a mouse to play.  I've been working on my swing at the range.  It's definately a great challenging game when played this way.  Takes a bit of getting used to.  Anyway.  I'll prob move to pc. Playing/designing. So i may try lidar after a while. If not I'll b  looking to play those accurate recreations for sure.  I've kind of put the designing satisfaction behind me. It was fun and I was really working at it but, can never be as accurate  as a lidar course.
  It was kind of deflating at first but, it's for the betterment of the game.
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »
   thanks John for the course compliment .  it sounds like lidar will be used to create very accurate rcr's.  and, It definitely sounds quicker. I do hear you and understand what you're saying about the positives.  its an interesting development.

You know. I thought about this some more. I don't want to sound bitter. If lidar curses are legal and the best way to go then great. I will enjoy them too.  I don't think I will be scanning any courses for publishing but that's just me.

I certainly understand the pride that must come with putting in endless hours in the course designer, and recreating RCR's with painstaking detail.  And then along comes a utility that takes part of that aspect and takes dozens of hours off the intial layout, and makes it far easier to create something.

But, imagine the amount of time you can get into putting all of the other minor details in that really make a course pop.

At the end of the day, it is anyone's personal prerogative to whether they want to invest so much time into the designer; but all I am saying is that you seem to get alot of personal satisfaction by designing local courses you have played.

Maybe just maybe you will enjoy creating some additional local courses you played growing up, and can do so in a fraction of the time.

You know. Starting to think about this some more.  Why wouldn't we want the most accurate versions of any course out there.  And I'm really enjoying the challenge of using a mouse to play.  I've been working on my swing at the range.  It's definately a great challenging game when played this way.  Takes a bit of getting used to.  Anyway.  I'll prob move to pc. Playing/designing. So i may try lidar after a while. If not I'll b  looking to play those accurate recreations for sure.  I've kind of put the designing satisfaction behind me. It was fun and I was really working at it but, can never be as accurate  as a lidar course.

Knew you would come around.

Topcat

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
I enjoy messing with the designer and Lidar is super helpful but I don’t think I’d ever have the ability to “finish” a course the way some of you guys do. That’s what I’m looking forward to seeing. As a sim player it will be really nice to play the almost exact bumps and rolls of courses I know well. Plus there are a ton of courses that have no Lidar data yet so there’s still a need for RCR’s from scratch.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »

Knew you would come around.

I understand but, I still feel a sense of loss/ wasted effort.
   So it's a bit rough to jump right on board.  I do like the game on pc. I don't know if I will be buying the next iteration on the ps4.   I'm not impressed with it there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:52:49 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
I’ve been going back and forth on this myself.  For doing an RCR I guess it’s a whole lot easier and more true to life for people who want to play courses they would play IRL during winter.. or for practice.
For me, I’m pretty much into the creative aspect of the designer.  I like having new ideas to try in course design...... I like the interface between reading a plot and creating a course into it.
So I think that I’ll stay with creating from my own imagination rather than working from a blueprint.
I feel there’s room for every type of corse in the game.
i7 6700k Skylake 4.0 GHz
Asus Maximus VIII
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2  V-NAND SSD
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Xbox One Elite Controller
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »
Rockman, one interesting use of lidar for you would be to download a specific heightmap and then pretend that you're the architect and come up with a routing that fits the plot.  Sometimes restrictions can increase creativity and you can also experience the thrill of finding holes that you may not have otherwise thought of. 

My grandparents lived on a farm in WI that was a great piece of land and that is going to be one of my future projects for instance.  I'd call it a real fantasy course. 

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Rockman, one interesting use of lidar for you would be to download a specific heightmap and then pretend that you're the architect and come up with a routing that fits the plot.  Sometimes restrictions can increase creativity and you can also experience the thrill of finding holes that you may not have otherwise thought of. 

My grandparents lived on a farm in WI that was a great piece of land and that is going to be one of my future projects for instance.  I'd call it a real fantasy course.

I hear you TaS......  I thought of that myself.  I live in WI and have family in Illinois so I’ve seen some really interesting topography going back and forth and over to my sisters in Green Bay.   There are some paths of highway that were literally cut out of hills with some beautiful natural rock remaining,
The problem I’m seeing with other posts about this is that the Lidar eats a HUGE chunk of the Object meter.  Even that’s not always a problem..... but for instance I’ve been working on a Delta course that has a TON of sand on it.  Between sculpting and sand I’m only around 1/4 of the meter and am experienced ing issues with stuttering and freezing.  More than likely I will give the Lidar a shot in some respect eventually....  whether of not I succeed with it, I’m not holding my breath
i7 6700k Skylake 4.0 GHz
Asus Maximus VIII
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 02:06:47 PM »
It doesn't eat that much.  Don't import the trees and mask most of the area.  The masked parts bring in lower res elevations, but still good.  Just a little more rounded. 

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 07:50:45 PM »
I just played Purgatory Lidar.....  I can see where it could be helpful to new designers, but I’m really not in love with it.  I remarked to my friend as we were playing it that I was going to nickname the course “Old Lumpy” LOL.
i7 6700k Skylake 4.0 GHz
Asus Maximus VIII
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »
I’m honestly having a hard time finishing Lidar courses, it almost takes the fun out of it.
Wrong hole Kobe

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
I just played Purgatory Lidar.....  I can see where it could be helpful to new designers, but I’m really not in love with it.  I remarked to my friend as we were playing it that I was going to nickname the course “Old Lumpy” LOL.

Obviously that depends on the quality of the Lidar data. Cmon now...
Wrong hole Kobe

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
I have just started to dip my toes into the Lidar thing so am no expert with it yet, but....

Anyone that thinks that once you find there is Lidar data available for the course you want to recreate, that all you have to do is press a button and BAM ! your shiny new RCR pops out of the other end....well let's just say you are sorely mistaken.

As a designer who has done an RCR the old fashioned way (one that is considered by many to be one of the best in the game, so not some half-assed wannabe RCR), I can assure you that if this program/tool was available back then I would have been all over it. The time it saves you in doing what essentially is all the boring tedious stuff is incredible.

To get to the point I am at now doing Hillside (bearing in mind that I didn't have any practice goes etc first so half the time I had no idea what I was doing) has probably taken me between 7 - 10 hours so far in total. I estimate that to get to that same stage when doing The Belfry took me HUNDREDS of hours....and that's not taking into account the fact I accidently deleted the file about half way through and had to start from scratch again  :o :(

Yes this tool makes doing RCR's a million times quicker and easier, but it doesn't do everything for you by any stretch of the imagination.

TGC 2019 Courses :
The Belfry - The Brabazon
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros) - with Scarpacci
TGC1/TGC2 Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

space-cash