Overhills GC- LIDAR NLE RCR

• 13 Replies

TaS

• GroupMember
« on: March 21, 2019, 02:59:45 AM »
For this course, I'm restoring a lost Donald Ross (No Longer Existing) that is still in the ground- land acquired by Fort Bragg military base, which is about an hour from Pinehurst.  By using the lidar, all of the features could be found and the holes were traced using Ross's hole by hole diagrams and some aerial photos. 

Pics nuked by tinypic's paywall

Will probably be better for simulator play, but I'll stick in some back tees too for controller play as well.  With these Golden Age RCRs with lidar, the green speed basically has to be at the lowest setting so that the ball doesn't just roll off the greens.  I like to play with no grids and I'm finding that more undulating greens at slower speeds are better for this anyway because they are less subtle and easier to read.  So maybe the no aids crowd will enjoy this one as well. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:48:09 PM by TaS »

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
looks very nice.  playing on pc with a mouse now im not so concerned about shorter distance courses as everythings not bomb it straight and pitch on.  I like the lidar greens.  Lidar greens add exact undulations that make no grid putting so realistic.   before we had many very good courses with "pool table" ish greens.  ( fair enough as it takes much time to try and emulate a real green from photos without the "pool table" effect.   irl. there are plenty of undulations in a green.  so that's a big plus  aside from the spot on fairway undulations. 
  im looking forward to this one.   also it looks like the backdrops are really good in these screenshots. I think that needs to be there in lidar courses for environment immersion.   
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

bspetty24

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
Really like the idea of using LIDAR for a restoration, looks like it's going to turn out great too.
My Fictional Courses:
Te Arai Dunes, Royal Bentleigh, Ol' Rocky Top, Cypress Dunes, Laugharne, Kamauri Cliffs, Maka Sichu Golf Club

My RCR's:
Seminole Golf Club, Cypress Point Club, Fishers Island Club, Sweetens Cove Golf Club (w/ jwfickett)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Looks fantastic TaS!  It's hard to believe you can get bunkers that realistic looking using the limited bunker creation tools in the TGC 2019 course architect :o
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »
This bunker process and filling in the woods are both taking some time.  I just got the 8th hole done and am close to finishing the front nine. 

(pics deleted)

This is basically what the course looks like today.  Many of the holes remain clear of trees as the army keeps it that way for periodic training.  They do controlled burns to keep the undergrowth from taking over.

The old Rockefeller buildings are either burned down or are in a ghostly state of decay

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:48:53 PM by TaS »

bigtee

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
Brilliant thread. Really looking forward to this one. Looks fabulous.

Jwheels9876

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
This is a great idea and the course looks fantastic.  Looking forward to playing it on the simulator in the future.

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
you're getting good with the fescue
Wrong hole Kobe

bigtee

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
Any update on this one ?

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 01:17:35 AM »
Any update on this one ?
Well, got a lot distracted with real life golf and work lately.  I have made some progress since last post, but still have 7 holes to go as far as finishing touches. 

worldrevolver

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
I am in VA but I have played a fair amount of golf in the sandhills area of NC and you really nailed the look.

What you have shown so far looks tremendous. This should be sweet to play once you publish. Thanks for doing this course.

bigtee

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
Any update on this one ?
Well, got a lot distracted with real life golf and work lately.  I have made some progress since last post, but still have 7 holes to go as far as finishing touches.

It's good to know you haven't abandoned ship  :)

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
Any update on this one ?

It's good to know you haven't abandoned ship  :)
Never! 

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 07:07:43 PM »
Status on front nine:

Here is a mini tour.  Just need to do the aesthetics on the back nine to match. 

#1: originally a short par 5, but with modern day equipment, it would be a 460 yard par 4. 
Example of source material

#2: Drivable par 4 at 325 yards

#3: Uphill 210 yards to a table top green

#4: Par 5 dogleg left- over a creek

#5: Severely uphill par 3

#6: Long, downhill par 4

#7: Straight par 4 with a series of centerline hazards.  I don't know of any other Ross hole like it.

#8: Tilted par 4 hugging the pine needles.  My favorite hole on the course so far

#9: Well guarded par 3 back to the clubhouse

space-cash