Is TGC2019 Turning Into Tiger Woods 2014?

• 71 Replies

stan_solo

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
Point being the ups and downs in this game do mirror real golf.

My game is permanently on a downslope atm  ... no idea what the frig is going on

I'm a shadow of my former self       ::)

mebby

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Hear, hear.
I play a fishing game which i would imagine is not all that popular and by a small developer, yet we have an update every month and the developers and their chief executive are in constant communication with the gamers on their Facebook page. So why can't hb do this.
Hb just don't give a toss.

HB were a bit like this at the beginning of TGC but since they've had publishers on board  ... their hands are kind of tied

It really doesn't matter whether they have publishers on board or not.  The only difference would likely be that they'd communicate more openly with us if they didn't have a publisher on board.  But the one thing that would remain the same is that they'd be releasing a new game every year (roughly) and the updates to each of those releases would all stop at a certain point because they have to make a return on their investment.  Those people making the updates to each release cost money.  They can't sustain unless they charge for updates... and the most efficient way to charge for updates is to release a new major version periodically.

Regardless of what anyone says, the majority of folks don't want an a la carte model.  People either want a subscription-based model or annual releases.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

blueisthecolour

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
It seems a bit odd to me that we went decades with games being released as basically 'one and done' for consoles and we were all quite happy with that. Now there seems to be an expectation (from some) that the developer continually modifies a game once released.

I appreciate that developers tend to release stuff that is more buggy now that they have an option to patch stuff afterwards, and that DLC is a good way of increasing profitability, but I'm not expecting HB to make fundamental changes to the game after a period of time. I would hate it after months of play if they now did anything serious to change the play mechanics.

Maybe it's just because i'm not from the Fortnite generation; or a pc gamer . . . .

Thrangar

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

mebby

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
It seems a bit odd to me that we went decades with games being released as basically 'one and done' for consoles and we were all quite happy with that. Now there seems to be an expectation (from some) that the developer continually modifies a game once released.

I appreciate that developers tend to release stuff that is more buggy now that they have an option to patch stuff afterwards, and that DLC is a good way of increasing profitability, but I'm not expecting HB to make fundamental changes to the game after a period of time. I would hate it after months of play if they now did anything serious to change the play mechanics.

Maybe it's just because i'm not from the Fortnite generation; or a pc gamer . . . .

Yep!  Exactly!

It makes absolutely no economic sense to expect any developer to put out a game and continually upgrade it for free.  None.  The next option is to update it via DLC.  That only makes sense to a certain point.  But the harsh reality is that developers game hammered for nickle and diming folks to death.  So the only other options are for a subscription based model or annual releases and annual releases are MUCH cleaner.

With subscription based models you're going to be constantly badgered by your customer base with complaints of not getting enough for their subscription.  I pay monthly for access to Microsoft Office and they obviously feel like they have to show me constant value be sending me stupid emails about all the petty things they are "adding" to the product each month.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

stan_solo

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
I remember TGC getting DLC once and King Kyne didn't feel it was the right road to go down   ... there hasn't been one since

I think each new game will get patched 3 times and then on to the next one ..

mebby

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »
I remember TGC getting DLC once and King Kyne didn't feel it was the right road to go down   ... there hasn't been one since

I think each new game will get patched 3 times and then on to the next one ..

Yep.  Something like that.

It also makes perfect sense to me that the very first offering of a particular game would get more hands-on TLC from the developers out of the gate with more patches (free or not).  But once the game is established, an annual release with a few post-release patches seems complete reasonable to me.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

FRSTDWN

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
Imop if we don't hear something from HB in the next couple months . let's say by the US open then TGC is done.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »
Imop if we don't hear something from HB in the next couple months . let's say by the US open then TGC is done.

Nah... seriously?  While I firmly believe that TGC 2019 has seen all the updates it's going to see I have a really hard time believing that we won't see a new version sometime this year.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

FRSTDWN

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
This is primetime to announce a new game. When is golf more popular?

Of course I hope I'm wrong.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »

True.  But HBS hasn't exactly been a conformist type developer.   :o ;D

The whole announcement and release of TGC 2019 was... interesting.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jamescostanza

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »
HB has all but said that the game is not dead.  I hope the next game will ship with less bugs; even if it takes another 6 months or longer

kgboomer

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 10:22:25 PM »

With the outcry of the AAA price for the last one and that it was close to the same game, it could take a while as they 'should' come out with a lot more content. Specially for PGA courses and career mode. As far as I'm concerned,  it would be bad news if they come out with an announcement with just an extra few PGA courses in the coming weeks. There's a lot of work to be done in a a couple of parts of the game, the wish list of what some wants in the game is huge.

Vital Spark

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 02:20:13 AM »
The gameplay in TGC19 is now pretty good, but that’s where the positives stop for me. The graphics, presentation, content and stability are woeful for a licensed, top-price game. Without the designer community and TGC Tours, propping it up, TGC19 would have been a total flop as an off the shelf release. For me the novelty ( and frustration) of designing has sadly worn off, I now want more realism in both graphics, features and licensed players/gear/courses. Just look at the realism in other sports sims like FIFA, NBA and F1, to see how next generation sims should be presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pozbaird

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 04:46:05 AM »
I enjoy the game, enjoy the course designer, and some issues aside, it is an entertaining and fun golf game with enough realism and challenge to keep me coming back for more.

If it ended tomorrow, so be it. At the end of the day, it is after all is said and done, a hobby, an escape for a few hours. As a golfer in real life, I hope it doesn’t end though.

My current issue is a list of at least 60 great looking new courses that I haven’t played yet. My enjoyment of the game at present revolves around me repeatedly playing courses I love and finding, like in real golf, nuances or discovering new things with each play.

As an example, Black Mingo Creek and Scarlet Inn are currently pretty much on loop....

How the truly talented designers keep coming up with new ideas to dazzle using the same palette is the real delight of this game. Now, I have set up a 40 tournament solo society.... time to hack my way around The Kermode Club. Fore!
My courses:

Desierto Parque Central
The 2112 Club
The Geometric
Mona Vale Lakes
Dee Why Golf Club

space-cash