For Vital Spark - VERY EARLY Hillside pics as requested

• 23 Replies

Han

• GroupMember
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
Only posting these because Vital Spark asked me to in another thread.

Please bear in mind I haven't done anything to this course since originally tracing out on OSM and importing it onto the lidar data (which didn't match each other). So you will see that not much lines up properly with the terrain such as tees, bunkers, greens etc. (Actually I think I may have done some work getting the fairways correct but that's about it)
Also I hadn't decided on which theme to use either so not many of the trees are accurate to what they should be - what you see in the pics is highland but I think I also looked at rustic (or it may have been boreal ? I can't remember) as they may work better with their tree selection etc.

Anyway some pics...….I'll not say what holes any of the pics are of just to see if Vital Spark can tell which they are even at this early stage  ;D 8)

This was my very first go at building a course using Lidar and OSM so I didn't really know what I was doing properly half the time and just kind of stumbled my way through to the stage that you see in the pics (yes I know I should have had a practice first  :P ).

Whilst doing Valderrama (which I am currently working on) I have learnt quite a bit about the whole OSM/Lidar process and know that I would have done certain things differently than I did when I first layed this one down. So when I continue with this project I am currently thinking of starting again from scratch on another file and re-doing a lot of the stuff I did originally in a better way. I think in the long run that may work out to be a better and easier option rather than trying to "fix" what I did first time.

I will of course still keep this existing file to fall back on in case starting again doesn't make much difference overall.
TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - The Brabazon
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros) - with Scarpacci
TGC1/TGC2 Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

less than bread

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
If you do decide to start over, make sure you note those lighting settings. Looks great.
TGC 2019 Courses:
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

Vital Spark

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
Very difficult to see much detail on my phone screen, but I’ll guess at...

Photo 3 = hole 11
Photo 6 = hole 16
Photo 4 = hole 10
Photo 5 = hole 17
Photo 8 = hole 13/14

On a more serious note, these initial screenshots look fantastic and this could become the greatest links course to appear on TGC if you apply your usual magic and finishing touches.

Hopefully you can use the upcoming TV footage to gather more detail and feel to your design, followed by a quick release!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:44:19 PM by Vital Spark »

Vital Spark

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
Just got back from Hillside and this course is amazing! The TV coverage does not do the course any justice at all and the weather certainly hasn’t helped. Please, please complete this course as soon as you can, ideally with the British Masters grandstands, small TV towers and hospitality tents etc..

I’m going to try and thaw out now, as I can’t ever remember being so cold on a golf course.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:54:29 PM by Vital Spark »

Vital Spark

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »
There is already a Hillside GC Southport published on TGC19. When I initially played this version I wrongly dismissed it as a poor representation, but now I’ve actually walked the course today, it’s clear this must be a Lidar version, as the layout and elevations are very good. Unfortunately, this version lacks any finesse in terms of planting accuracy and surroundings etc.. and the general presentation is a little scruffy. Hopefully Hans version will be as accurate as this version but with the polish shown in the Belfry course.

LinksLover

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:55:04 AM »
Oh yes, this is a great course. I played it with my dad a few years ago. Always wanted to go back but never got round to it.

I hazard a guess at the penultimate picture being the 15th. :D

It looks to me like the fourth picture is the 10th and the bottom one the 17th. I can see a few of the other holes in my mind, but can't place the exact number hole to them.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2 & 2019 port)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Vital Spark

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »
Any updates or progress made with Hillside Han?

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
I was having a look over it this evening actually  :)

Ok, let's forget the fact I didn't really know what I was doing properly when I originally did it and just dived straight in  :P but OMG ! I didn't realise how badly I had traced some of it on OSM  :o

I thought I was doing great and being so ultra- precise with my tracing so I have done things like used a billion points around a single bunker or green (which isn't "wrong" exactly, it just makes things more hard work once you actually get into the designer and end up deleting most of them  ;D), plus I didn't know things like tracing inside the edges of greens and outside the edges of bunkers to get the accurate size right in the designer because of how the splines work - so they are all a bit wrong but easy enough to fix.

However....

It's a bit strange because a lot of the tracing is spot on to whatever was being traced but some other bits are absolutely TERRIBLE ! and miles off where they should be, which I don't really understand ???  I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done some of it as bad as that in the first place, and I know I am usually very OCD about stuff like this so I would probably stay up until silly o'clock in the morning putting it right rather than leave it like that. (unless of course someone else has changed it afterwards ?)

Everything I said above plus the fact that after checking all the imagery available on OSM it appears that they are all out of line with the LiDAR data I have (and not just in one direction either so it's not an easy "adjust the whole map north by x feet" fix) basically all adds up to the fact that I am indeed going to pretty much have to start from scratch with the OSM tracing etc and then spend however long getting it all into the correct position for the terrain once in the designer. After that then I can start on all the other more cosmetic stuff to make it look more accurate and "pretty".

The only good thing about it all is I may get away with not having to re-do the fairways as I did spend some time in the designer on those originally so they look reasonably ok as they are.

Anyway TLDR...….Don't hold your breath, it's gonna be a while yet  :(
TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

LinksLover

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
Good things come to those who wait. As long as TGC2020 doesn't come out and spoil things for everyone.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2 & 2019 port)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Vital Spark

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:13 PM »
I was having a look over it this evening actually  :)

Ok, let's forget the fact I didn't really know what I was doing properly when I originally did it and just dived straight in  :P but OMG ! I didn't realise how badly I had traced some of it on OSM  :o

I thought I was doing great and being so ultra- precise with my tracing so I have done things like used a billion points around a single bunker or green (which isn't "wrong" exactly, it just makes things more hard work once you actually get into the designer and end up deleting most of them  ;D), plus I didn't know things like tracing inside the edges of greens and outside the edges of bunkers to get the accurate size right in the designer because of how the splines work - so they are all a bit wrong but easy enough to fix.

However....

It's a bit strange because a lot of the tracing is spot on to whatever was being traced but some other bits are absolutely TERRIBLE ! and miles off where they should be, which I don't really understand ???  I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done some of it as bad as that in the first place, and I know I am usually very OCD about stuff like this so I would probably stay up until silly o'clock in the morning putting it right rather than leave it like that. (unless of course someone else has changed it afterwards ?)

Everything I said above plus the fact that after checking all the imagery available on OSM it appears that they are all out of line with the LiDAR data I have (and not just in one direction either so it's not an easy "adjust the whole map north by x feet" fix) basically all adds up to the fact that I am indeed going to pretty much have to start from scratch with the OSM tracing etc and then spend however long getting it all into the correct position for the terrain once in the designer. After that then I can start on all the other more cosmetic stuff to make it look more accurate and "pretty".

The only good thing about it all is I may get away with not having to re-do the fairways as I did spend some time in the designer on those originally so they look reasonably ok as they are.

Anyway TLDR...….Don't hold your breath, it's gonna be a while yet  :(

What are you thinking, weeks or months?

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
What are you thinking, weeks or months?

Depends how much time I get to spend on it (determined by RL stuff like work etc) and how long it takes to re-do the OSM tracing (unless you want to do some of that to speed up the process  ;) )

Anyway what was it you said in another thread ? 

Please don’t rush or give up Hillside, we would all rather wait for a polished version from yourself.

;D
TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

Vital Spark

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 02:15:14 AM »
Any updates with Hillside and Valderamma?

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
Hardly done anything on either of them recently due to an issue I was having with lidar courses playing havoc with my cpu usage and temperature when in the designer :(  It wasn't just the standard "lidar lag" thing that makes the designer slow etc, that I can handle, this was something else entirely that just started happening all of a sudden.
It was making it almost impossible to get anything done because I would have to just save and exit constantly to stop the cpu from overheating..... so in the meantime I have been working on another new non-lidar course whilst I figured out what was causing the problem.

I have figured out what the issue was now, at least I think I have anyway - it seems as though it was all the measuring marker points and lines I had all over the plot that I was using for various things that were causing the cpu to go crazy, well those combined with the extra load that lidar puts on it as well of course.  Once I got rid of those it pretty much went back to normal (ish) so fingers crossed things should be ok providing I keep the measuring tool under control  :P 

Anyway I have started working on them again this last few days (more so on Valderrama to be fair) so hopefully I may have some more updates for you soon.

I know this isn't the Valderrama thread but here's a couple of early morning pics of the 4th hole which I am working on at the moment.

TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
Been working on this course for a little bit on and off getting close to having a playable beta for British Masters etc,then give the course back to Han to finish Hillside had to strip all the trees out the course found them way to large how they imported in Chad's golf tool,added the changes to the 1st,9th and 18th,Not going to be a standard of Han's courses but if anyone wants to play a round,round hillside it should be a decent standard to enjoy.

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »
The 10th From Lidar data....

To this now,might have been quicker without Lidar.

space-cash