TCL TV will not connect to WiFi

• 30 Replies

FRSTDWN

« on: June 18, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
Never had a problem with this TV until last night. Wife was watching Netflix and it dropped connection. Ever since then it will not reconnect. It won't even find my network. Then when it does it says it is too weak. My phone is connected , my kids iPads are all connected just fine. My sons Xbox say the connection is solid.  It's fiber and 250 mb up down so there is no way it is weak.

I have tried everything. Restart, unplugged it, even a factory reset. Nothing works. I also tried to manually put in the with the private network settings. Nope. I also reset my router .

This nuts . Never seen anything like it. It's like my Network has disappeared but only for this TV.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have the ISP coming tomorrow to see if they can hard wire it from the basement. I do have a work around with my sons  Xbox since I can access Netflix and Hulu from it but that will get old.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
I have tried everything. It's rare I can't solve a connection problem. It's pissing me off. How can my connection just disappear for just this TV?

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
Never had a problem with this TV until last night. Wife was watching Netflix and it dropped connection. Ever since then it will not reconnect. It won't even find my network. Then when it does it says it is too weak. My phone is connected , my kids iPads are all connected just fine. My sons Xbox say the connection is solid.  It's fiber and 250 mb up down so there is no way it is weak.

I have tried everything. Restart, unplugged it, even a factory reset. Nothing works. I also tried to manually put in the with the private network settings. Nope. I also reset my router .

This nuts . Never seen anything like it. It's like my Network has disappeared but only for this TV.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have the ISP coming tomorrow to see if they can hard wire it from the basement. I do have a work around with my sons  Xbox since I can access Netflix and Hulu from it but that will get old.

Same thing happens here when I try to connect via wireless.  I don't use any of the apps on the TV and access Hulu, Netflix, You Tube, and Amazon Prime via my XBox One X to the TCL.  I was able to connect to the Roku Channel wirelessly, but didn't try to watch anything.  When I checked my wireless connection, it said it was weak.  My TCL in the rec room is only 12 feet from the router. 

Wonder is something hosed it in a recent TCL firmware update?  I have both my TCLs set to automatically update firmware.  I haven't gone in to see if something was updated yesterday, but I'll check.  Thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have known anything about it otherwise.  I have XBox One Xs connected to both my TCLs, upstairs and in the living room, and I've always driven them with the XBox Ones as the inputs.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
Let me know . I bet you are right though. Has to be a firmware update that caused this. Never had any issues with it before.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »
Tried my hotspot from my phone . It won't even pick it up. Something is seriously screwed up. If this because of a update a lot of people are going to be pissed. How do they not test this stuff first. Unreal.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 08:33:29 PM »
I just checked and the last firmware update that was automatically performed on my 55" TCL Series 6 was March 16.  I tried to "Check for Updates Now" and it wouldn't connect via my LAN to do that!?  I'm going to hook it up via ethernet and see what happens.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
Just checked my LG and it picks up my network instantly. Definitely the TV.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
I just moved my ethernet cable from my gaming PC (which is right next to my display) to my TCL in the rec room.  It connected to the internet right away.  I did a manual update for the TCL via the system update menu and it updated Hulu and one other item that flashed so quick I couldn't read it.  I then reconnected via wireless and it found the internet right away.  I tried launching Amazon Prime from the TV menu and it timed out again.  Hooked back up via ethernet, and it connected to Amazon Prime in less than 3 seconds and streamed media. 

I think all that got updated was two apps, the firmware still shows March 26th (not 16th as I said earlier) as the last update, but clearly, something's going on here.  Let me check my TCL 65" Series 6 in the living room and make sure it's got the same symptoms.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

ChaswW

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »

Anyone got any ideas?

I have 2 TCL televisions.One is using Ethernet cable direct and the other is using Wi-Fi.My Wi-Fi set is working ok as of now.
My Courses

Haunted Hills C.C.(HCP)
TPC @ Silent Night
Kong's Skull Island
Voodoo Island
The Sanctuary in Winter
Moonbase Alpha
TPC @ Red Planet
Pumpkin Hollow 2020
Devil's Pitchfork G.C.
RTJ Trail-Magnolia Grove(HCP)
RTJ-Magnolia Grove(Tour)
Crimson Valley G.C.
Achilles Hills
Ghouls & Goblins G.C.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
I have 2 TCL televisions.One is using Ethernet cable direct and the other is using Wi-Fi.My Wi-Fi set is working ok as of now.

ChaswW, would you mind going into the TCL which is connected via Wi-Fi and check your connection quality?  It's under Settings/System/Check Connection.  My 55" TCL Series 6 reports "Low Signal Strength", but is only 12 feet away from the router.  It won't connect or run any of the apps in the Roku menu though.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
Just checked my LG and it picks up my network instantly. Definitely the TV.

Just checked my 65" TCL Series 6 in my living room and its apps work from the Roku menu pretty responsively.  For kicks I went into the "Check Connection" test in the TCL System Settings and it reported that it found "No Internet", even after a second test.  I went back to the TV menu and called up You Tube and it popped right up and played... I've got to go whittle on this one a while ???

Oh, I should say... this set connects to the same LAN, but via an Internet Extender that's 18 feet away from it, but not in the same room.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:50:56 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »
Thanks JC. ISP coming tomorrow. See what they can do. Like I said bro it's rare where I can't figure it out. I'm not calling TCL tech support. It will be a script of what I already tried.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

ChaswW

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »

ChaswW, would you mind going into the TCL which is connected via Wi-Fi and check your connection quality?  It's under Settings/System/Check Connection.  My 55" TCL Series 6 reports "Low Signal Strength", but is only 12 feet away from the router.  It won't connect or run any of the apps in the Roku menu though.

Signal strength shows excellent.Download speed of  64 mbps.My TCL is only about 4 feet from router.Software version is 9.00 Build 4142.Last update March 7.
My Courses

Haunted Hills C.C.(HCP)
TPC @ Silent Night
Kong's Skull Island
Voodoo Island
The Sanctuary in Winter
Moonbase Alpha
TPC @ Red Planet
Pumpkin Hollow 2020
Devil's Pitchfork G.C.
RTJ Trail-Magnolia Grove(HCP)
RTJ-Magnolia Grove(Tour)
Crimson Valley G.C.
Achilles Hills
Ghouls & Goblins G.C.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »

Signal strength shows excellent.Download speed of  64 mbps.My TCL is only about 4 feet from router.Software version is 9.00 Build 4142.Last update March 7.

Hmmm... mine shows Build 4151, and was last updated on March 26th.  Is yours set for auto update?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:41 PM »
Thanks JC. ISP coming tomorrow. See what they can do. Like I said bro it's rare where I can't figure it out. I'm not calling TCL tech support. It will be a script of what I already tried.

I'll be curious to read what they come up with. 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash