Where do the "Proximity to Hole" stats come from?

• 12 Replies

neilwilkes

« on: August 11, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »
This stat to me seems totally broken.
It has been "bugging" me for a while now as to how I manage too get so far away, and recently I shot a 58, hitting all greens in reg yet my stats told me that round I was 79.9 feet away from hole after approach which is utter BS, but how to prove it?
I wrote the next round's approach to hole distances down for every hole.
In total, I was 304 feet for all 18 holes, which divided by 18 gets me an average proximity of 16.8 feet. HOWEVER - the round stats tried to tell me my proximity was 34.5???
DOUBLE the truth.
So - where is this taken from, and why is it so wrong?

neilwilkes

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »
Anybody from HB commenting would be welcome.......

moneyman273

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
They will respond very soon, I'm sure. ;)

neilwilkes

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »

You really think so? Based on a lot of personal experience I think it is extremely unlikely, as it will force them to admit there are some nasty exploits being used by players I can only describe as cheats. Harsh language? Absolutely. Deserved? Certainly, and I can prove it too.
Go check out some of the online societies, and look specifically at this statistic - you will see many, many "players" with this actually reading 0.0 feet!!! Now have a think about this and explain to me how this is possible as it must mean that they always hole out off the fairway/greenside and never, ever putt. It's not possible for these people to get that "average" and still be taking any putts at all - unless there is an exploit somewhere and these people are finding a way to cause the system to "forget" some shots have been taken. This is cheating, and it seems to be occurring regularly and is the main reason I no longer bother with any societies - they are all rigged by the cheats. I am sorry to be this blunt, but look at some of the scores carded - NOBODY IS THAT GOOD!! I look and see the same players getting multiple aces - every round of every tournament. Regular scores in the low 50's and even high 40's. Again, nobody is that good.

neilwilkes

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »

Well, over a week since you wrote this and as I expected - nothing but a deafening silence.
Anyway - I promised proof of cheating and here it is: See the attached image with 4 "players" all at 0.0 feet proximity to hole.
My stats are honest - theirs are cheated

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:19:45 PM »
i think you may be a little harsh on calling people cheats,i don't play in any societies and mine is 0.0 ft its like the best round score stat mine never moved from Even.Just think really since 1st game you cannot really trust the stats.only thing i don't understand how some seem to work and others don't.

Martbloke

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »
i think you may be a little harsh on calling people cheats,i don't play in any societies and mine is 0.0 ft its like the best round score stat mine never moved from Even.Just think really since 1st game you cannot really trust the stats.only thing i don't understand how some seem to work and others don't.

Agreed! Some stats are certainly bugged.

Also it would be better to 1st know how this is calculated. Does it have to hit the green to count? Does it have to be a shot that is GIR or GUR? If so and they hit no GIR, then of course it would be 0. Problem is, it seems we will never find out from HB.

leslie.sangster

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
I’ve just finished the TST tournament this week and my proximity to the hole shows 0.0 it’s bugged not cheating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ezzino Milonga

• Ball don't lie!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 01:58:07 AM »
This stat to me seems totally broken.
It has been "bugging" me for a while now as to how I manage too get so far away, and recently I shot a 58, hitting all greens in reg yet my stats told me that round I was 79.9 feet away from hole after approach which is utter BS, but how to prove it?
I wrote the next round's approach to hole distances down for every hole.
In total, I was 304 feet for all 18 holes, which divided by 18 gets me an average proximity of 16.8 feet. HOWEVER - the round stats tried to tell me my proximity was 34.5???
DOUBLE the truth.
So - where is this taken from, and why is it so wrong?
I don't know if my thought if correct, but i think that probably the game take counts of every approach shots, intended as your first shot on par 3s..and your second on EVERY other kind of hole
This would means that if after your second shot on a long par 5 you don't reach the green, but (just for example) you still miss 85 yards to the pin, your proximity for that hole will be 85 yards.
Is just a thought, but after some play on courses with reachable par 5s i think is not an absurd theory.

In all this, i anyway have not a single idea about why sometimes the proximity to the hole don't works. I play always in the same way..and on 1 course every 12-15, it happens to me..but i can't see something different happened in my round. The only thing i can say is that when it happens i don't see the "0.00", i see simply "--" or something like this.
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears" Bobby Jones

FRSTDWN

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
It doesn't work correctly. Ignore it.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

neilwilkes

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 05:46:23 AM »
I stand corrected and apologise.

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 07:22:16 AM »

I am sure there are players which exploit the system so really no need to apologise.I don't play tours or societies so to me the stats are a big part of the game and like you it is very frustrating when some seems to be miles of or don't work.Only defence is when you think a lot of the stats are collected over user generated courses must lead to problems which i am sure would be tough to solve.

neilwilkes

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »

I am sure there are players which exploit the system so really no need to apologise.I don't play tours or societies so to me the stats are a big part of the game and like you it is very frustrating when some seems to be miles of or don't work.Only defence is when you think a lot of the stats are collected over user generated courses must lead to problems which i am sure would be tough to solve.

I get the point, but if it is that broken then it should simply be removed as it is not only pointless it is downright misleading.

space-cash