Deleted Content of a famous Course/other names

• 465 Replies

FRSTDWN

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
All the marks of DMCA/C&D.

If HB/2K had gotten the rights, they wouldn't need to hide/delete all this stuff.

I can understand how the DMCA and C&D could stick with "Augusta National", but "Magnolia National", wherein no Augusta National trademarks or names are anywhere to be found??  This is what makes me think it's more a matter of the course being licensed and used in a future edition or DLC for TGC 2019, and they want to remove any course that faithfully depicts Augusta National, whether it's called something else or not.

They blanked out The Masters in my new season for 4LW. So yeah something is going on with Augusta.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

ChaswW

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 06:00:30 PM »
I guess this is why Magnolia was edited out of my course name and my course is a real course in Mobile,Alabama not Augusta...I can't believe this has happened.If they don't fix this I am thru with this damn game.I spent 100's of hours on this course.The course was approved at TGCTours and has over 500 plays.Now it can't be found if someone searches for it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:43:15 PM by ChaswW »
My Courses

Haunted Hills C.C.(HCP)
TPC @ Silent Night
Kong's Skull Island
Voodoo Island
Moonbase Alpha
TPC @ Red Planet
Pumpkin Hollow 2020
Devil's Pitchfork G.C.
RTJ Trail-Magnolia Grove(HCP)
RTJ-Magnolia Grove(Tour)
Crimson Valley G.C.
Achilles Hills
Ghouls & Goblins G.C.(HCP)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
You can't copy the text of a book and just retitle it.

I understand the point you're making here, but words and user generated graphics - that bear no trademark, name, or text - for the purpose of conveying that user's impression of a place is too subjective to fit that model.  I'm not a judge though, so I'm not one to stake an legal opinion to.

You might be able to win that argument in court too, but you'd still have to go to court. We know HB won't do that.

Yeah, if that's what's behind this, I wouldn't want to go to court over it if I were HBS.  Even if I won the case, I'd still be a bit lighter in the pockets after the verdict was in.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:17:05 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

bspetty24

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
You can't copy the text of a book and just retitle it.

You might be able to win that argument in court too, but you'd still have to go to court. We know HB won't do that.

There’s no damages in this situation though.  HB never advertised that buying this game would allow you to play Augusta National, so there’s no financial gain for them.  CLV/Royce weren’t compensated for their time building it.  ANGC’s reputation wasn’t tarnished and there’s no lost revenue - like no one is cancelling their Augusta membership because they can stay home and play Magnolia on simulator instead (lol).

Makes zero sense - there should be no issue at all with Magnolia National being in the game.  OOTP openly acknowledged 3rd party extensions for years that gave real logos, team names, and player information for the entirety of MLB’s history before they ponied up for the official license and it was always protected behind free 3rd party content that was installed after the purchase of the game.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:10:44 PM by bspetty24 »
My Fictional Courses:
Te Arai Dunes, Royal Bentleigh, Ol' Rocky Top, Cypress Dunes, Laugharne, Kamauri Cliffs, Maka Sichu Golf Club

My RCR's:
Seminole Golf Club, Cypress Point Club, Fishers Island Club, Sweetens Cove Golf Club (w/ jwfickett)

cephyn

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
Again you might be able to win in court....but you'd have to go court.
Edgemoor Castle
Driftless Hills
Roadrunner Mesa
The Willowisp
The Course at Cycad Reach

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
i wonder why they are still in TGC2 the same courses.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:15:59 PM by Yeltzman »

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
All the marks of DMCA/C&D.

If HB/2K had gotten the rights, they wouldn't need to hide/delete all this stuff.

I can understand how the DMCA and C&D could stick with "Augusta National", but "Magnolia National", wherein no Augusta National trademarks or names are anywhere to be found??  This is what makes me think it's more a matter of the course being licensed and used in a future edition or DLC for TGC 2019, and they want to remove any course that faithfully depicts Augusta National, whether it's called something else or not.

They blanked out The Masters in my new season for 4LW. So yeah something is going on with Augusta.

Yeah, I should have included "Masters" and "The Masters" in my opening sentence of my above post, along with "Augusta National".

I may have told you this already, but I was on the receiving end of one of those Cease & Desist threats from Augusta National in 1998.  The webzine for which I was the managing editor (Digital Sportspage) was hosting a tournament using the Augusta National course that Ken McHale had created for Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge.  We called it "The Masters" and promoted it as being played at "Augusta National, within the game.  They were satisfied with us calling it the Digital Sportspage Championship at Augusta Golf Club.  We ran it that way and I never heard another word from them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:15:42 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »
It couldn’t possibly be backlash from the use of LiDAR/OSM could it?  I never saw anything like this happen before regardless of what courses were named and even in the RCRs there were differences from the originals.
I predicted this would happen........  They want to get paid.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »
i wonder why they are still in TGC2 the same courses.

Probably next on the chopping block.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

theclv24

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Real bummer for HB. Those courses brought a lot of customers to the game, and they didn't even have to promote them or support the community of designers in any way.

BSmooth13

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 06:25:22 PM »
It couldn’t possibly be backlash from the use of LiDAR/OSM could it?  I never saw anything like this happen before regardless of what courses were named and even in the RCRs there were differences from the originals.
I predicted this would happen........  They want to get paid.
You really play to type, don’t you?

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »
HB had to pay licensing fees to use courses in game.  EA had to pay in the TW series.  That’s business and just the way it is.
 Should HB have to pay Augusta or Magnolia because a user published a course named/copied from a real course?  NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. 
I’m sure that the got a cease and desist order and pulled the courses/asterisked the names for this reason. 
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
HB had to pay licensing fees to use courses in game.  EA had to pay in the TW series.  That’s business and just the way it is.
 Should HB have to pay Augusta or Magnolia because a user published a course named/copied from a real course?  NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. 
I’m sure that the got a cease and desist order and pulled the courses/asterisked the names for this reason.

If that's what happened (BTW, there is no "Magnolia National" Golf club to issue a C&D from), I'm sure it wasn't because there was one LiDAR version of Magnolia National (in essence, Augusta National) released... your disdain for LiDAR truly knows no bounds!
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

cephyn

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
Here's what it looks like when ANGC comes after you.

https://golf-patents.com/augusta-national-throws-the-book-at-game-maker/
Edgemoor Castle
Driftless Hills
Roadrunner Mesa
The Willowisp
The Course at Cycad Reach

AppState1

• #KeepPounding #TakeWarning
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
It's not like Royce wasn't warned by many on here to name it something else.

space-cash