Proximity to Hole stat - how is this measured please?

• 2 Replies

neilwilkes

« on: August 29, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
I have my reasons for asking this, but would love to know exactly how the "Proximity to Hole" stat is calculated, and if it means what I think it means.

Will explain further once I know the answers - HB will not reply to either emails about this or posts in the Bug Reports section either, soo I have no option but to throw it open
Someone must know the answers.....

Rickster

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:46:48 PM »
Judging by the results I see in my rounds, my guess is the Proximity to Hole stat is calculated as:

• Distance from the ball to the hole after the regulation number of shots to reach the green for each hole averaged over all holes played.

So the Proximity distance on Par 3s is measured after one stroke, Par 4s after two strokes and Par 5s after three strokes.  I would not think it should matter if the ball were on the green or not for the distance to the hole to be used in the calculation.

Maybe one day some on screen text will explain it in the round stats.
PS4 Player Name: rawdata57

TGC2019 Courses Published:
♦ Australind Estuary GC
♦ Lone Pine Island Golf & Country Club
♦ Wapatah Lakes Club

TGC2 Courses Published:
♦ Cocos Island Resort
♦ The Lakes on Blackwood River
♦ Cedars Point Golf Resort

neilwilkes

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
Judging by the results I see in my rounds, my guess is the Proximity to Hole stat is calculated as:

• Distance from the ball to the hole after the regulation number of shots to reach the green for each hole averaged over all holes played.

So the Proximity distance on Par 3s is measured after one stroke, Par 4s after two strokes and Par 5s after three strokes.  I would not think it should matter if the ball were on the green or not for the distance to the hole to be used in the calculation.

Maybe one day some on screen text will explain it in the round stats.

This is what I would have thought, but it does not seem to be correct.
I've been keeping track of these lately, and it seems to me that it is either completely broken or works in such a bizarre manner as to be utterly pointless. One round I played I actually wrote down every distance to the pin after every approach shot, and on the p5 holes if I hit the green in 2 then I used that number (and also wrote down the remaining distance if I missed the eagle putt) and the stat as given post round bore zero resemblance to reality - my average was under 15 feet yet the stat claimed over 40 feet.
Add to this I have seen many, many leaderboards in tournaments with this value set to 0.0 feet yet in the same stats seeing the longest putt scored as 30+ feet so it is seriously flawed at best. Nobody seems to care though.

space-cash