swing take away glitch

• 10 Replies

rcheebunkers

« on: September 04, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »
My PS4 and controller were bought brand new in March 2019.  I bought the Golf Club 2019 from the PS store that same month.  Other than the difficulties of learning a new golf game, everything was working fine.

Around the beginning of August 2019, my controller started to act up during my take away.  The club would start to go back, but only a foot or so and quickly return to the address position.  When this happened, I was unable to hit a shot, meaning it didn't cause you to hit a "flick" shot.  Although it was hard to play like that, I could only hit a shot when the controller would take the club back beyond that point. 

This is what I've tried so far.

- deleted the game and reinstalled it.
- reset the controller
-  changed controller to usb connection.  This made the swing work properly. 
- the console has not been moved since we bought it.

My PS4 console is 9 feet from where I play this game.  Clear view of console, no obstructions. 

The only other game I play is a car racing game.  Can't remember the name but it was a game offered through Playstation plus.  In this game, you use the left analog stick to steer so it is being moved mainly left and right.  I haven't noticed any issues with the controller playing that game, nor has my son playing any of his games.

Trouble shooting has ruled out the controller, since it works with USB hook up.  I'm left with bluetooth connection or the game itself.  However, bluetooth connection isn't a problem with other games, so I'm back the the game itself.

One last thing.  When I'm putting, the controller behaves normally.  This is the only shot that I can make without any problems, 100% of the time.  Since the putting motion is the same as any swing I would think the putting would be affected.

Worst case scenario is I would have to find a 10-12 foot cable and play wired.  No big deal.  I'm just not sure if this length of cable exists.  I have to start looking.

I would appreciate if anyone has had/has this issue to share their experience.  I'm probably not the only one who has experienced this.  If there is a fix I would like to hear about it.

darvaan

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »
If I’m not hooked up with a USB cable, I feels like I get a lot of random tempo issues.
Lately my downswings don’t seem to always register on full shots. I don’t know if it’s the servers or them playing with the settings.
GM of Masochist Sim Club(PS4) - All Aids Off on the finest PGA/RCR courses

Wes _Coast_1

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
To save me the time of writing it all out, go to the general section on the forums front-page. Scroll down to strange happenings and apology. Dismiss the apology part.

rcheebunkers

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »
Thanks for that West Coast.  Did you try your controller (the one acting up) with the usb cable?  I did and took a dozen swings without a hitch.  Switched it back to bluetooth and within 1 swing the hitch was back.  I tried the right analog stick and had the same swing/stop issue.  My controller doesn't have much time on it so I don't think the controller, in my case is the problem. 

Wes _Coast_1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:40 PM »
Just tried with controller plugged in and player would not go more than a foot back. Switched back to the left stick and no issue. It's quite puzzling because you are probably the 4th or 5th one to report the very same glitch. So I think it's a thing. I was also getting tons of very fast and slow swings to a point of quitting the rounds.That also went away when I switched sticks. I just can't play at the same skill level with the left stick so I will have to buy a new controller. Hard to explain.

rcheebunkers

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
WC,  I tried using the right stick, it's not an easy transition.  I tried reaching over with my left hand but that was awkward.  After 15 years of swinging with the left stick anything different would be tough.  What is interesting is some of us have the same general problem, but the remedies are not the same.  After hearing what you said about using the usb cable, I will connect controller and do 20-30 test swings to see if it acts up.  I did a dozen and it worked each time.  If mine is going to act up it is within the first 3 swings.  I know I'm repeating this but my putter during this issue has never been affected.  The putter is like silk.  Am also curious to see if the connection was messing around with my tempo.  Tempo is decent, but the odd time you get a swing that doesn't feel the same as to what it registered.  I like the fact the swing can be penalizing, however, it shouldn't be the controller, bluetooth or game glitch that causes it.

Wes _Coast_1

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 02:32:57 AM »
I thought I would pay a little closer attention to how many times it has the glitch because I knew that it goes away after awhile. So, I go to tee off and get the glitch . I changed to a different club and got the glitch. I changed to the putter and it would draw back without issue. I released the putter by mistake and it hit the ball past the tee area. I didn't have the glitch at all after that through the whole round. It seems to only happen at the start of the round. Which is nuts, but if it is the "controller", then it should happen throughout the round. I still get some very fast and slow swings but I know that my swing wasn't any more noticeable than my normal tempo. But that has seemed to be an issue for several months now. I also turned my PS4 off after the round and turned it back on right away to see if the glitch started up again on the same course but no glitch at all. So pretty weird, but when I try again I will see if it goes beyond the 1st tee and if it only happens on the tee. But again if that's the case, then it's not the controllers.

HB_ShaunW

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
Are you playing on a Pro or Standard PS4?
What course(s)/holes have you seen the issue on?
Do you have video of your gameplay you can share?
Video of your controller input would be extremely helpful along with gameplay, but I understand that's more difficult to capture.

rcheebunkers

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
I play on a standard PS4.  We only play created courses.  None of the TPC courses.

Once the swing glitch showed up it happened on every course, every hole and every shot.  I also create courses and during testing within the course creator the same problem exists.

As soon as I can figure out how to take video of this I will share it.

I did buy a 10 foot usb charge cable to use while playing golf.  It was 100%. 

I must repeat, the putting stroke has never been affected with this swing glitch while playing wirelessly.  Since it's the same stick and the same motion I would have thought the problem would showed up with the putter.  This now is steering me away from a bluetooth connectivity issue and towards something in my player settings, (clubs in the bag, clothing, courses currently being designed by me) some combination that might have triggered this.

I will do my best to provide you with any information requested.  For the time being, I'm happy I can play wired and not have this issue but would certainly like to fix it.

MAJORHIGH

• Savannah, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »
I play on a standard PS4.  We only play created courses.  None of the TPC courses.

Once the swing glitch showed up it happened on every course, every hole and every shot.  I also create courses and during testing within the course creator the same problem exists.

As soon as I can figure out how to take video of this I will share it.

I did buy a 10 foot usb charge cable to use while playing golf.  It was 100%. 

I must repeat, the putting stroke has never been affected with this swing glitch while playing wirelessly.  Since it's the same stick and the same motion I would have thought the problem would showed up with the putter.  This now is steering me away from a bluetooth connectivity issue and towards something in my player settings, (clubs in the bag, clothing, courses currently being designed by me) some combination that might have triggered this.

I will do my best to provide you with any information requested.  For the time being, I'm happy I can play wired and not have this issue but would certainly like to fix it.

I had a similar case with my XB1 controller on PC. I switched out different USB to mUSB cables and had the same issue. Cleared the drivers and downloaded them again, no help. Tried other games and it worked fine, tried it on my XB1 with cable and wireless and it worked fine. Finally broke done and bought a new controller and that fixed it. Both controllers were XB1 controllers and not PC/Win 10 specific. The only thing I can figure is that I had "worn down" the right stick in the eyes of the code that reads my swing, but I don't even know if  that's a thing HB has written in.
The Conservatory - LIDAR
Stonecypher Club
Ford Plantation (RCR)
Davenport Athletic Club
Widow's Talon
Pinhook Saddle Club

(WIP: Ekwanok Country Club - LIDAR)
(WIP: Broadchurch)

rcheebunkers

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
Majorhigh, I thought the same thing, worn out left analog stick.  I played the TW's series from 2008 until the end.  This was on the PS3.  I used two Sony controllers and with all the swings I took with them they both worked fine.  They did feel a bit different than each other but I couldn't say with any certainty that one was better or more accurate than the other. 

For the last couple of months I've been playing a race car game that uses the left stick for steering.  The movements are only left and right, there is no up and down for this game.  My point is Sony, I feel, makes a very durable controller.  If the amount of use during the race car game was enough to affect the controller I will have to take my prior comment back.  I have a hard time believing that as being to issue but won't rule it out just yet. 

Over the years, I have seen some crazy stuff in the TW's series.  Stuff you can't imagine how it got into the game.  Plus, it wasn't across the board.  It would happen to my friends who I'd be playing with but not to me.  Possibly my game and all I have on it created the right ingredients to create this problem.  I know nothing about what it takes to design these games, but seen enough corny things to know they couldn't have been put there and left them there on purpose.

I'm glad your new controller fixed your problem.

space-cash