"Qualifier" tournaments................

• 9 Replies

AmusedOkie22

• "Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much."
« on: September 05, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
Can someone explain to me the purpose/effect of a "Qualifier" tournament?  When scheduling, under "Event Format," your choices are, "Regular, Qualifier, Major, Championship, and Finals."  I know the purpose/effect of all but the "Qualifier."  I'm trying to improve our society, but don't want to set a standard that will mess up a tournament........
“Fight on my men,"says Sir Andrew Barton,
I am hurt,but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed a-while,
And then I'll rise and fight again".”

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »
From what I can see, it forces John, the announcer, to call it a "Qualifier" at the start of your round.  The thing is, you can designate the top 10, 25, or more finishers of a tournament as being those who "qualify" for a later event.  I'm pretty sure you can do that though, without designating the tournament that's, in essence, serving as the qualifier, without flagging is with the "qualifier" designation.

If I've got a tournament in a season that's serving as a qualifier, I designate it as one for whatever reference the announcer may make concerning it, to solidify in the player's mind that they are playing in a "qualifier".
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

AmusedOkie22

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
So, let's say I want to use the XYZ tourney as a "qualifier" for the upcoming ABC tournament, I simply designate it as a "qualifier."  Then, anyone who does NOT play in the XYZ tourney is ineligible to play in the ABC?  (Sorry for the double-negative.  My HS English teacher TAUGHT me better than that...............55 yrs. ago....)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
So, let's say I want to use the XYZ tourney as a "qualifier" for the upcoming ABC tournament, I simply designate it as a "qualifier."  Then, anyone who does NOT play in the XYZ tourney is ineligible to play in the ABC?  (Sorry for the double-negative.  My HS English teacher TAUGHT me better than that...............55 yrs. ago....)

Not exactly, you can create an event that has an entry requirement of 'Top 10 in Previous Event' (there are two other criteria for entry requirements you can opt for, btw).  The people who played in the "previous event" (which btw did not HAVE to be designated a "Qualifier") and finish in the Top 10 of the previous event, will qualify to play in the 'main' event (even though it's not called "Main" in the setup screen).  Those who did not finish in the Top 10 of the Previous Event, and those who did not play at all in the Previous event will be able to play in the "Alternate Event".

The Alternate Event can use the same conditions, tees, and pins as the 'main' event, or it can be customized.  Each event will have its own leaderboard.

I think it helps alert players to the fact that a tournament is a qualifier, by designating it as such during the tournament creation.  It gives players another flag that *might* get their attention that participation in it is a prerequisite to play in the next tournament's 'main' event, if "Entry Requirements" of "Previous Event" are prescribed.

Hope this makes sense?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

AmusedOkie22

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:11:41 AM »
Yeah, makes sense now.  I don't know that it makes much difference, as anyone who reads the requirements for competition in any given tournament, OR, even sees that there is an Alternative Tourney must know such.....................but maybe not.  I'm probably assuming too much.  Anyway, ahehee for the information.  Edgy-K-Shun comes in itty-bittie doses, sometimes...................... :) ;)

Martbloke

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »
I think also, you will find the "Qualifiers" do not pay out coins as in essence you are playing in order to qualify for the main event where the payouts occur. I think this is the point of the "Qualifier" but it's a shame there is no tutorial to explain this to us.

AmusedOkie22

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
OK.  DOESN'T make sense now.  Why have a "Qualifier," that doesn't pay out anything, when you set qualifications for all other types of tournaments (regular, championship, etc.) that DO payout?  You are setting those other tournaments as "qualifiers," aren't you?  IE: "Top 10 in the previous event."  Guess HB has higher thinking skills than do I, but I no savvy....................

Martbloke

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »
OK.  DOESN'T make sense now.  Why have a "Qualifier," that doesn't pay out anything, when you set qualifications for all other types of tournaments (regular, championship, etc.) that DO payout?  You are setting those other tournaments as "qualifiers," aren't you?  IE: "Top 10 in the previous event."  Guess HB has higher thinking skills than do I, but I no savvy....................

It can make sense and guess it's just up to the organiser how they want their season to run. If you want a normal regular season event, where points/money are still awarded and counts towards the standings, to be the basis of qualification into the next major for instance, then so be it. Otherwise if it's just an event to gain access to a certain major event and you do not want to give those who participate an extra event to gain points affecting the overall season standings over others not needing to qualify, then a qualifier is the way to go.

I guess you could have it set that for a major event, the top 50 in the overall standings and the top 10 in the qualifier automatically qualify. You could a regular event 1 week before the major where points are dished out as normal which will then determine your top 50 and say mid-week, have the qualifier for those not in the top 50 (if you can specify these entry requirements) to have the chance to qualify for the major without getting extra points over those in the top 50 who would be unfairly penalised. I think that makes sense.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 12:21:28 PM »
Yeah, why have a "qualifier" that pays out nothing, when you can play a regular tournament that serves as a "qualifier" and pays out points and VCs? 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

AmusedOkie22

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:52 PM »

It can make sense and guess it's just up to the organiser how they want their season to run. If you want a normal regular season event, where points/money are still awarded and counts towards the standings, to be the basis of qualification into the next major for instance, then so be it. Otherwise if it's just an event to gain access to a certain major event and you do not want to give those who participate an extra event to gain points affecting the overall season standings over others not needing to qualify, then a qualifier is the way to go.

I guess you could have it set that for a major event, the top 50 in the overall standings and the top 10 in the qualifier automatically qualify. You could a regular event 1 week before the major where points are dished out as normal which will then determine your top 50 and say mid-week, have the qualifier for those not in the top 50 (if you can specify these entry requirements) to have the chance to qualify for the major without getting extra points over those in the top 50 who would be unfairly penalised. I think that makes sense.
I understand the intent, but this age-ed mind doesn't connect with the convoluted thing.  Appreciate your insight.

space-cash