Question about Dunes style waste bunkers

• 6 Replies

DshawD

« on: October 23, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
Hi all, am looking to start a course similar to The Dunes at Lake Marie or the Greens at Clearwater Cay and curious if anyone has a good idea on how to replicate the naturalistic way the sand cuts into the terrain like dunes. My guess is potentially using splines for a rough shape then adding actual shapes to create the more jagged edges, but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea or first hand experience. Anything would be appreciate, and as always thanks for reading!

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 04:50:08 PM »
Not sure if this trick would help,only works on certain theme's i think

https://www.twitch.tv/mayday91283/video/451428458

It does give you a bunker and some added look with the dirt a great trick and look.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:01:53 PM by Yeltzman »

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
I’m playing with this technique now.  Something has to be done with those Boreal bunkers.....
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

BSmooth13

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
Hi all, am looking to start a course similar to The Dunes at Lake Marie or the Greens at Clearwater Cay and curious if anyone has a good idea on how to replicate the naturalistic way the sand cuts into the terrain like dunes. My guess is potentially using splines for a rough shape then adding actual shapes to create the more jagged edges, but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea or first hand experience. Anything would be appreciate, and as always thanks for reading!
My process at Clearwater was pretty simple...kind of. I did not flatten the plot before building as I do most of the time, instead leaving autogen hills in place. Then I simply took the circle sand brush and click-and-dragged across the areas I was "roughing up," trying to use the auto-gen hills as a guide. By that, I mean that I laid down sand in the low areas between the hilly humps, which leaves the non-sand terrain sitting up a bit. I tried to make them all connect with each other or to the beach/water, and the size of brush I used varied, it was just a free-flowing "play it by feel" type of process.

DshawD

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
I did not flatten the plot before building as I do most of the time, instead leaving autogen hills in place. Then I simply took the circle sand brush and click-and-dragged across the areas I was "roughing up," trying to use the auto-gen hills as a guide. By that, I mean that I laid down sand in the low areas between the hilly humps, which leaves the non-sand terrain sitting up a bit. I tried to make them all connect with each other or to the beach/water, and the size of brush I used varied, it was just a free-flowing "play it by feel" type of process.

Thank you, very helpful and I'll give this a try when I'm starting. Thank you!

DshawD

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Not sure if this trick would help,only works on certain theme's i think

https://www.twitch.tv/mayday91283/video/451428458

It does give you a bunker and some added look with the dirt a great trick and look.

Ooooh this is very interesting. Not necessarily what I had in mind (was more just looking at overall shape and flow), and not sure how well it'd work for the Highlands theme, but that does really lend to that look and I'm definitely going to experiment with it. Thank you!

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
Not sure it will work on the highland theme,thought you needed the lip on the bunkers which highland does not have.

space-cash