Sheringham Beta 2 (Sheringham Golf Club, Norfolk, England LIDAR)

• 5 Replies

apjgilbert

« on: October 27, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »

This is a long way from completion - a few trees but mostly bushes, gorse and scrub to lay down. Any comments on playability or other any other aspect welcome.

neilwilkes

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
I've just played the Beta 2 version and found it very easy on default mode - the slow, soft greens had no defence at all.
Scorecard & round summary attached - this was of course with Master Clubs.
I don't know what the weather is like in the real course, but such exposed greens I would have expected to play faster than they do - 110 is simply too slow, although at first it was hard to make myself hit the ball hard enough and despite the final score I left at least 3 out there.
I'm also not at all sure what the bunkers are doing on the 3rd - they are simply not in play but they are obviously there on the real one.

That is all the negative stuff - this is a beautiful course aesthetically and each hole looks simply beautiful. I hope there are not going to be more trees than required to make it the same as the real one, and I love the tight fairways - but again, on defaults I had absolutely no trouble holding any of them at all and hit all 14 with no real trouble. I am also a fan of small greens - I missed just the one - and they would be a true handful if they firmed up & had an extra couple of yards of pace - maybe try on Moderate settings instead of slow with the greens also moderate instead of soft? That is purely a matter of taste though and not a criticism.

This course would make for a really nice tournament event with some added pin sets. Green speeds and firmness could then be varied to mimic the effects of real weather and if the wind got up it could be a decisive factor - in high wind with resulting faster & firmer greens this course would develop some real teeth.

Nice work - this is a fun course to play & I look forward to finding out how it develops.

apjgilbert

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »

Thanks for the feedback - yes it does play a lot harder than this IRL, it's a true links course. I'll firm up the greens and fairways, and there''s more vegetation to add, but not many trees. If you have a go on the final release (I hope before Christmas), the wind can be quite fierce off the North Sea. I played here in September, but couldn't take any pictures because the rain was horizontal. I also have a treatment going for Royal Cromer, but it's much more complex in terms of trees etc, and I may run out of "objects".

neilwilkes

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 05:48:12 AM »
In fairness to your layout, I was on fire yesterday with the putter, and had a similar round on another course in the late afternoon much to my surprise, so it may well be that playing it again would result in a very different looking scorecard.
Horizontal rain goes a long way towards explaining the green speeds as well as the softness - maybe the default wind speed should be higher? I have never designed a course so have no real comprehension of what is involved so would very much like to know what the thinking is behind default settings in general - not just this course. To start with wind - should the default be representative of the average wind found in the area, or an idealized setting that the designer thinks shows off the course at it's best? Same thing for green speed, firmness & terrain firmness. I can see a dilemma here for the designer, because whilst in real life these conditions will all vary, in the designer there seems to be no option for randomness as you would get in the real world and this is a real shame from a pure player perspective.

Very much looking forward to the final version though - this could easily be a great course, suitable for Major Championships.

apjgilbert

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »

I can't find a way to set the default wind, I'm not sure it's possible.

neilwilkes

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:29:04 AM »

I can't find a way to set the default wind, I'm not sure it's possible.

Sorry, I do not know this. I would have thought it should be possible to set a default wind speed & direction, but do not know if it is in reality.
I can ask if it would help?

space-cash