Topgolf?

• 8 Replies

less than bread

« on: December 05, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
I'm asking this over on TGC Tours as well but would like all the opinions I can get.

I'm sure most people here have heard about Topgolf. If you haven't, check it out here: topgolf.com/us/

Basically, it's like a modern day bowling alley but for golf (food/drink service, party atmosphere, electronic scoring, 99% of players are really bad...)

I have an idea to make Topgolf in the designer. I want to get it as close to the real thing as possible and have a pretty clear plan in mind. Should be a ton of fun for groups of golfers to play together.

But before I go wasting my time on something no one will want to play... I want to gauge initial interest.

Also if this sort of thing has been done (and by done, I mean done well) already, let me know.
TGC 2019 Courses:
Scorched Horizon Golf Club (2020 BB King Memorial Host)
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abraham Lincoln

DaveT

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 05:43:35 AM »
Had a quick look at the UK website ... looks like a driving range with electronic scoring.

Not sure how you could replicate that in game but it sound interesting ... something different, and I'd be up for giving it a go.
COURSES:

- Camp Crystal Lake 
- Haddonfield Country Club
- Antonio Bay (The Fog)
- Overlook Hotel & Country Club

less than bread

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
I wouldn’t be able to replicate the scoring but the idea is to get the gameplay as close as possible. I’ve been dabbling in the designer and I believe the concept will work. I have a big lake essentially with circular island greens. Each green will have an inner circle and outer circle separated by a short wall. Get your shot in the inner circle and it will be an assured HOI (that will be tricky to design). Hit the outer circle, chip over the wall and you get a par.
TGC 2019 Courses:
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch

-Abraham Lincoln

Martbloke

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »
I wouldn’t be able to replicate the scoring but the idea is to get the gameplay as close as possible. I’ve been dabbling in the designer and I believe the concept will work. I have a big lake essentially with circular island greens. Each green will have an inner circle and outer circle separated by a short wall. Get your shot in the inner circle and it will be an assured HOI (that will be tricky to design). Hit the outer circle, chip over the wall and you get a par.

Super fast greens and slightly sloped inwards for the inner circles - sorted 😉

less than bread

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »

Super fast greens and slightly sloped inwards for the inner circles - sorted 😉

From my testing it's not that easy unfortunately. Half the time the ball stops next to the hole. The trick is to use flat objects that can tilt (bridges, benches...) and lay them angled in a circle around the cup directing all shots in... Not the most visually appealing look but it gets the job done if placed correctly
TGC 2019 Courses:
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch

-Abraham Lincoln

bobbyb

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
I saw an indoor simulator with the mat and the net using real clubs and what was the newest version of TW 10 years ago.  You could get drinks and food.  It didn't work then, but I think that would be better than this.

Haymaker Snoopy

• golf-beta
    • The GP Golf Report
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 03:28:47 AM »
Hey Bread,

That's a great idea. It would definitely be cool to have a TopGolf type of mode in TGC. One of the first TopGolf's was out here in the Chicago area, and it's mind blowing how big it has gotten.

World Golf Tour (WGT) actually has a deal with TopGolf and it's featured in the game where you can play online against other players to see who gets the best score. Would still love to see TG in other golf games though.

Silver Dome Award Winning Golf Blog: ThePunchbowlGolf.com

All of my courses are nine-holers:

TGC at Diamond Lake
The Nine at Black Pines
Sheep Villiage Golf Course
Pitch & Putt at Algonquin Park
Genesis Island Golf Course

Go White Sox.

less than bread

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Hey Bread,

That's a great idea. It would definitely be cool to have a TopGolf type of mode in TGC. One of the first TopGolf's was out here in the Chicago area, and it's mind blowing how big it has gotten.

World Golf Tour (WGT) actually has a deal with TopGolf and it's featured in the game where you can play online against other players to see who gets the best score. Would still love to see TG in other golf games though.

It is massive. We got one in the Twin Cities area last year and you can never just walk in and get a bay. Even Tuesdays at 10 am it's busy.
TGC 2019 Courses:
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch

-Abraham Lincoln

less than bread

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
Hey Bread,

It is massive. We got one in the Twin Cities area last year and you can never just walk in and get a bay. Even Tuesdays at 10 am it's busy. And usually a 3 hour wait on the weekends
TGC 2019 Courses:
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch

-Abraham Lincoln

space-cash