Old Town Golf Club - a Perry Maxwell classic

• 0 Replies

Sandsaver

• If I had anything better to do I would be doing it
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
I have just published Old Town Golf Club as Old Town GC beta. In the heart of Winston-Salem NC, home course of Wake Forest University right next door was designed by Perry Maxwell in 1939. Perry Maxwell was an American golf course architect, a founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects and designed Colonial CC, Prairie Dunes and Southern Hills (Championship) and many others. He also did reworking of the greens at Augusta National and Pine Valley. Famous architects Bill Coore and Bob Crenshaw totally redid the bunkering on Old Town in 2013.

Old Town is listed as #29 in the USA on the "Top 100 golf courses" website, and is also on other golf course top lists. It is a 6815 yard Par 70 with lots of elevation changes and side-hill lies. The greens are small by todays standards but they are not easy by any means. This WIP is a Lidar recreation, the data seemed to be very good so I hope you do not find too many artifacts. The planting is not complete, nor are some of the ambience around the course, so do not judge by that please.

Here are the usual pictures

This course may not be every ones cup-of-tea, but I certainly found it interesting and enjoyable to play, especially if you enjoy side-hill lies lol. Please give it a trial run and as always welcome any feedback either positive or constructive.

space-cash