Improving the Game: Course Selection Screen

• 7 Replies

Oswinner

« on: March 23, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
Let’s see how we can improve the course selection screen for this game. As much fun as I’ve had with this franchise, the course selection screen has always left a little to be desired. I’ve just booted up TGC1 and even that screen was better at filtering out the unnecessary courses than TGC2 and TGC19. It was in a nice list and a lot more concise. With all the courses in the database there needs to be better ways of filtering through them all and getting the better user made courses noticed.

HIGHEST RATED
First off, sorting by highest rated so we can get the highest rated courses to the forefront. Go back to rating courses out of 10, with NR as default for those that can’t be bothered to rate a course once they have played it. TGC1 had this and I could see all the 8.5 rated courses at a glance with Magnolia National (Sunday) being top of the tree with a 8.6.

TGC2 and 19 have had a star rating which currently hasn’t worked as well. When you search for highest rated in this game you don’t exactly get quality courses come up, you get courses that have been rated 5* by about one player (probably the designer). The highest rated courses should filter out courses with less than 100 plays.

This leads us in to...

MOST LIKED
A simpler rating system. How many thumbs up has a course been given for those that just want to like a course and not give a rating out of 10. We could easily have both rating systems in the game. For instance, after playing Jackdaw Heath this week on TST I could like the course but only give it a 7/10.

MOST PLAYED
The most played courses of all-time. This is currently called most popular. TPC Scottsdale (2.2m), TPC Southwind (1.2m) and TPC Boston (1.1m) are the the three highest. Take the HB courses out of the filter and you get Gardens of Balor (258k), Orchard Lake (251k), Hickory Creek (248k). Maybe HB Official courses should be filtered out as they don’t need to be pushed to the forefront as they have their own category. Or, maybe this could be split into two categories; Most Played and Most Played User Courses.

TRENDING (MOST PLAYED: WEEKLY)
The most played courses for the past week. This is currently in the game, the only problem is that it includes the HB Official courses so the trending courses are TPC Scottsdale, Southwind, Sawgrass etc. These courses don’t need pushing to the forefront because they are already there. Make it so it filters out the official courses. Taking away the ‘HB Official’ courses we currently would have Keystone Heights GC (7.1k), Copperhead at Innisbrook Resort (6.8k) and Gardens of Balor (4.9k) trending on the PS4.

HB OFFICIAL
The HB Official courses will be blocked out of the other searches but will feature the real courses they have licensed. The ‘official’ courses that are not real could fall under...

HB SUGGESTED
The other official courses that aren’t the real licensed courses. Could also make this the highest rated: monthly courses.

HARDEST COURSES
Courses sorted by highest course handicap rating. Whilst we are at it, rate each set of tees differently or just rate the back tees if that’s easier.

EASIEST COURSES
Courses sorted by lowest course handicap rating. Whilst we are at it, rate each set of tees differently or just rate the back tees if that’s easier.

Any other ideas??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:16:20 PM by Oswinner »

LinksLover

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
We need something for newly published courses to stick around for longer. They get lost in the shuffle way too quickly.
PUBLISHED
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS
The Swiss Wall

Oswinner

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Ok. To see what it would look like, once you click Choose Course you would only get these options...

HB OFFICIAL
HB SUGGESTED
HIGHEST RATED
MOST LIKED
MOST PLAYED
TRENDING
SEARCH FILTER
(And maybe hardest/easier courses if HB ever sorts the handicap system out)

Then once you click on them you will get the courses, 10 per page if applicable...

HB OFFICIAL (all the real licensed courses)
Atlantic Beach Country Club
TPC Boston
TPC Deere Run
TPC Sawgrass
TPC Scottsdale
TPC Southwind
TPC Summerlin

HB SUGGESTED (all the other courses from HB in-game)
Caramel Creek
The House On The Cliff
The Whitefang
Arizona Azure
Devon Quarry Country Club
Kipahuku Reserve
Hopeshire Golf Club
Faxon Park Golf Club
Fiddlers Green
Etc...

HIGHEST RATED (out of 10 with over 100 plays)

MOST LIKED (Most thumbs up)

MOST PLAYED (Most Played: All-Time - User Created)
Gardens of Balor (258k)
Orchard Lake (251k)
Hickory Creek Golf Club (248k)
Wagtail Golf Club (233k)
Pebble Beach (149k)
St Andrews - Old Course Tourn. (48k)
BD’s Silly Seven (45k)
Bethpage Black - Pga 19 (41k)
Royal Portrush Open 2019 (33k)
Pearl Mountain Golf Club (32k)
Etc...

TRENDING (Most Played: Weekly - User Created)
Keystone Heights (7.1k)
Copperhead at Innisbrook Resort (6.8k)
Gardens of Balor (4.9k)
Orchard Lake (4.7k)
Hickory Creek Golf Club (4.7k)
Wagtail Golf Club (4.6k)
Overbrook Valley (3.4k)
Pebble Beach (3k)
Timid Stone Golf Club (2.3k)
Carolina Pines CC (2.8k)
Etc...

SEARCH FILTER (Usual search filter where you can search by name, by holes, style of course etc)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:54:37 PM by Oswinner »

Oswinner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 01:47:21 PM »
We need something for newly published courses to stick around for longer. They get lost in the shuffle way too quickly.

Yep. You are 100% correct. That’s why taking the HB courses out of the categories (trending etc..) is a good start.

Martbloke

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:01:57 AM »
Ok. To see what it would look like, once you click Choose Course you would only get these options...

HB OFFICIAL
HB SUGGESTED
HIGHEST RATED
MOST LIKED
MOST PLAYED
TRENDING
SEARCH FILTER
(And maybe hardest/easier courses if HB ever sorts the handicap system out)

Then once you click on them you will get the courses, 10 per page if applicable...

HB OFFICIAL (all the real licensed courses)
Atlantic Beach Country Club
TPC Boston
TPC Deere Run
TPC Sawgrass
TPC Scottsdale
TPC Southwind
TPC Summerlin

HB SUGGESTED (all the other courses from HB in-game)
Caramel Creek
The House On The Cliff
The Whitefang
Arizona Azure
Devon Quarry Country Club
Kipahuku Reserve
Hopeshire Golf Club
Faxon Park Golf Club
Fiddlers Green
Etc...

HIGHEST RATED (out of 10 with over 100 plays)

MOST LIKED (Most thumbs up)

MOST PLAYED (Most Played: All-Time - User Created)
Gardens of Balor (258k)
Orchard Lake (251k)
Hickory Creek Golf Club (248k)
Wagtail Golf Club (233k)
Pebble Beach (149k)
St Andrews - Old Course Tourn. (48k)
BD’s Silly Seven (45k)
Bethpage Black - Pga 19 (41k)
Royal Portrush Open 2019 (33k)
Pearl Mountain Golf Club (32k)
Etc...

TRENDING (Most Played: Weekly - User Created)
Keystone Heights (7.1k)
Copperhead at Innisbrook Resort (6.8k)
Gardens of Balor (4.9k)
Orchard Lake (4.7k)
Hickory Creek Golf Club (4.7k)
Wagtail Golf Club (4.6k)
Overbrook Valley (3.4k)
Pebble Beach (3k)
Timid Stone Golf Club (2.3k)
Carolina Pines CC (2.8k)
Etc...

SEARCH FILTER (Usual search filter where you can search by name, by holes, style of course etc)

I like it as well as adding in 1 for the new published courses (as stated above by Links) that are say created within the last 2 weeks or a month perhaps and then they drop out of this filter - these can still be found in all the others. Would be so helpful.

I don't think HB would intentionally leave out their precious HB Official courses from all other filters as they of course want to promote these. Therefore I would expect an option at the top to show/hide official courses perhaps.

I'd also like something on these that allows me to hide the course from any list if I think it's rubbish and don't want to see it again. Like all the auto-gen courses or 1s that are accidentally published but not complete that cannot be deleted.

Sandsaver

• If I had anything better to do I would be doing it
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:54:09 AM »

I'd also like something on these that allows me to hide the course from any list if I think it's rubbish and don't want to see it again. Like all the auto-gen courses or 1s that are accidentally published but not complete that cannot be deleted.

^^^^^
this ;D

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
At the weekend i went through the whole handicapped course list...248 pages if anyone is interested.

LinksLover

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:41 AM »

Yes, instead of a like/favourite button, a hate button.
Or for the snowflake generation, a thumbs down instead of a thumbs up.
PUBLISHED
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS
The Swiss Wall

space-cash