Downhill streams

• 7 Replies

Fersy

« on: May 02, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
I suspect i already know that answer to this but how do you guys tackle downhill streams/rivers. I want to have my streams rivers fed from high and gradually snake their way down through the course as they naturally would but as far as i can see you can only place horizontally level water which aint gonna work. Obviously i could drop waterfalls but i really wanted a gradual decline. Has anyone figured a way round this? Cheers

less than bread

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
DoubtfulObelisk gets credit for this technique. Works very well, just takes a bit of time. It will look really weird in the designer with all the blue lines but is pretty much seamless when you actually play the course.

https://youtu.be/P6KW2j3sDbI
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:50:45 PM by less than bread »
TGC 2019 Courses:
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

leslie.sangster

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
I suspect i already know that answer to this but how do you guys tackle downhill streams/rivers. I want to have my streams rivers fed from high and gradually snake their way down through the course as they naturally would but as far as i can see you can only place horizontally level water which aint gonna work. Obviously i could drop waterfalls but i really wanted a gradual decline. Has anyone figured a way round this? Cheers
You can use quite small panes of water and only drop each one down an inch at a time it takes ages and lots of panes but looks ok in game and stops you having to put waterfalls in between each pane. One of the designer Doubtful obelisk has done it on one of his courses I think, at least that’s what I think his handle is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fersy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
Cheers guys much appreciated ill give these a try. Be much handier of there was an option to tilt the water on the xy acis the way you can do with bridges seeing water basically flows downhill in real life lol

less than bread

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »
Cheers guys much appreciated ill give these a try. Be much handier of there was an option to tilt the water on the xy acis the way you can do with bridges seeing water basically flows downhill in real life lol

Yep the technique is the best way to go currently. The only thing is you will want to plant the shoreline pretty extensively to camouflage the edges. Those are the only things that will stick out
TGC 2019 Courses:
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »

Way back when in the TGC2 Beta we could.... along with 360* turning and stretching and squishing rocks.  I don’t know why these abilities never made it to release.  I suspect so that we could have crowds and tournament objects... booo
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 01:14:26 PM »
I think the downhill/uphill water did make the release in tgc2,but was soon taken out with a patch,don't think it worked right.Still not right now i feel really effects frame rates the water.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »
Ive only seen where a few designers have made any of the moving water look realistic.  I’ve wasted many, many hours trying to with very little, if any, success.
IF HB is planning a new game I really hope that this is one of the issues they put some time into fixing.
Water, done right, can greatly enhance the realism of any course.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

space-cash