Stuck designing a hole - should it be Par 5 or 6

• 2 Replies

GmanUK65

« on: June 03, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
I am designing a course that is unfinished by a long shot. I am busy with hole 4.
After designing fairway ans green then testing with beginner clubs it seems tobe adifficult par 5
I have published an unfinished version called "GCAM unfinished". It only contains first 4 holes none of which are finished  but are playable.

Anyone who plays with beginner  clubs could they test hole 4for me and feedback par 5 or par 6 please thnk you

less than bread

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
Just my .02, I would advise against having par 6s if you want your course to be taken seriously. Par 6s are gimmicky and just add an unnecessary shot to a par 5. If you're concerned about it playing too long for beginner clubs then move your closest tees up further. But that's just my opinion on it without playing it (I would but for the time being I don't have access to TGC)
TGC 2019 Courses:
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:13:56 PM »
I agree.  I’ve designed many courses over the years and have only published 3 with a Par 6..... let alone 2 Par 6’s.........  You have to remember that people will be playing with all 3 sets of clubs.... your tee positions should reflect that.  I usually try to make the easiest tees about 1,000 yds distance less than the hardest tees over the entire distance of the course.  JMO though.  It’s your course, make it the way you want it.  If other people like it... that’s a bonus.  Good luck with it.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

space-cash