Matchmaking is growing on me.

• 10 Replies

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
I know I've been the loudest in the room when it comes to issues with live multiplayer but I do want to take the time to give some props to HB.

I have to say that I've actually had a pretty good experience with Matchmaking and for the first time ever I feel like the playing field is pretty even which makes for some deep and amazing games!  I've only played like 15 matchmaking games but most of those games have been great.  I've had a couple of people check out early,  but I was beating them pretty badly,  so it really didn't bother me since now we get the win when someone checks out.  This little change has made all the difference for me.  I had one guy try to sit it out and not take any of his shots hoping I would exit the game, but i ended up with the last laugh and made him finally quit.  I beat him at his own game and that was awesome fun.. 

I finally feel like when I enter a matchmaking round that I'm not really worried about getting hooked up with a cheeser,  because they way it's setup now,  cheesing it doesn't really work that well..   What I'm noticing and loving, is that guys that were good in TGC19 are struggling with the new matchmaking format because they can't resort to baby clubs..   

I still think HB needs to figure out how to fix team play,  because there is a massive problem with guys leaving the setup screen as soon as they see they are paired up with their homeboys..  This ruins it for the solo gamer with a limited amount of time. I think HB needs to penalize people whom jump out once a match is accepted,  or hide names so players quit doing this,  it's beyond annoying!

Anyway,  I'm having an incredible amount of fun with matchmaking,  and what it's showing me is that I'm a pretty good player with all things even Steven.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
PRO with putt preview sort of is the new baby clubs....

Thrangar

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »

Totally agree, detest preview, no respect for golf and its competitive nature.

At least get rid off putting meter if your going to keep the preview garbage!
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

Theopen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »
Getting the - deserved - win when someone rage quits is a huge step forward ... so, yes, I definitely extend "Thanks!" to the team for that one.

On the other hand, I totally agree that putt previews need to be removed from online matchmaking.  It really shouldn't be part of the "Pro" preset either (feels like an "amateur" setting to me) ... but as long as it's gone from matchmaking, I'd be happy.

For now, I'd keep the distance meter on for putting (at least until they fix some of the putting bugs), but letting people cheat a third of the match is just ridiculous (gets even worse with 3 or 4 people in a group).

bob5453

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »
Yes, please remove putt preview from matchplay. I doubt HB will do it as they never change stuff after this much time has passed since release and they have stated it is there and they are happy with it.
My TGC 2k21 courses
The Big Valley
Roy Rogers Happy Trails
Gilligan's Island Par 3
Magestic Mountain

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »

I do agree, and it's hard not to use it knowing everyone else is..  It's very obvious when players use it as well.  You can see them adjust for where they think the putting line is,  and there is like a 10 second pause while they do nothing and watch the putt preview.  Then like clockwork,  they make their line adjustment.

If I can say anything positive about putt preview, is that it can add another strategic element to gameplay in terms of how you plan on using the previews and when..   I have to admit,  that when I'm playing someone really good and I see they're using the putt preview, it makes it hard for me not to want to use it as well since it's in the game.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

mebby

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
I guess I need to give it a shot.  I haven't played a single online matchmaking round yet.  I've been too into my PGA Tour career mode.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
I guess I need to give it a shot.  I haven't played a single online matchmaking round yet.  I've been too into my PGA Tour career mode.

It makes me smile to say that you can get some fair matches with Matchmaking!  Everyone is even with the exception of the clubs you choose..  You can mix and match clubs so this adds an element of interest but you still have to execute your shot...  I had a game yesterday that I should of won but my tempo was off and I missed some easy shots.  I deserved to lose but if I played this guy 10 times in a row I would of probably beat him 9 out of 10 times.  I could tell his skill based on his shot selection and execution,  he got lucky,  but thats golf..   

I just wish they gave us more options in matchmaking as opposed to just match play.  the other options on the ps4 don't really work because the team play is bugged with guys quitting when they see they aren't matched up with their friends.   The way HB has skins and group play setup is horrendously wrong.  Also, if you try to enter a skins match it says it's for 2 or more players,  but even after you get another person in the room with you it won't go automatically into a game.  It's like it's waiting for more players,  and sometimes you will sit there with one other person in the pseudo lobby for 10 minutes while it tries to hook you up with more players...  there should be an automatic timer,  so that if you're in the room with one other person the game should automatically start within a couple of minutes..  Maybe it's just bugged out,  not sure why it's so frustrating..

mebby

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »

It makes me smile to say that you can get some fair matches with Matchmaking!  Everyone is even with the exception of the clubs you choose..  You can mix and match clubs so this adds an element of interest but you still have to execute your shot...  I had a game yesterday that I should of won but my tempo was off and I missed some easy shots.  I deserved to lose but if I played this guy 10 times in a row I would of probably beat him 9 out of 10 times.  I could tell his skill based on his shot selection and execution,  he got lucky,  but thats golf..   

I just wish they gave us more options in matchmaking as opposed to just match play.  the other options on the ps4 don't really work because the team play is bugged with guys quitting when they see they aren't matched up with their friends.   The way HB has skins and group play setup is horrendously wrong.  Also, if you try to enter a skins match it says it's for 2 or more players,  but even after you get another person in the room with you it won't go automatically into a game.  It's like it's waiting for more players,  and sometimes you will sit there with one other person in the pseudo lobby for 10 minutes while it tries to hook you up with more players...  there should be an automatic timer,  so that if you're in the room with one other person the game should automatically start within a couple of minutes..  Maybe it's just bugged out,  not sure why it's so frustrating..

It sounds like it's really setup for 1v1 match play and the other modes are there but not thought-out at all.  Hopefully they can build on this in the future.

Any sort of team-based play needs to be designed in such a way that you can chose your team members if you want to.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »

It sounds like it's really setup for 1v1 match play and the other modes are there but not thought-out at all.  Hopefully they can build on this in the future.

Any sort of team-based play needs to be designed in such a way that you can chose your team members if you want to.
Give match play a try bro, it's really well done and the matches are just so competitive. If you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing you're going to kill them, but, if you get someone good, it'll be a hell of a match

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

mebby

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »

Give match play a try bro, it's really well done and the matches are just so competitive. If you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing you're going to kill them, but, if you get someone good, it'll be a hell of a match

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Good deal - I'll check it out.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

space-cash